cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing my Ring Pro Bandwidth Usage numbers

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Sharing my Ring Pro Bandwidth Usage numbers

Just thought I'd share my Bandwidth usage, for anyone who wants to know what it looks like:

Spoiler

Note: Your bandwidth usage may not be anything at all like mine. Smiley Wink

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Sharing my Ring Pro Bandwidth Usage numbers

This is great info!

Since our place off-grid doesn't have "front door traffic" there are way less motion alerts, so I suspect our usage will be much less than your 7gb/month (hoping to be less than 6gb).

I also found that the new snapshot feature for the cameras was a potential data pig, as it was basically creating a timelapse of moments in between motion alerts - which is basically all day. I turned that off. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

UPDATE: 

My off grid Ring alarm system with a 4g LTE modem is still working great! In 2 days it will have been a month since setting it up, and we have only used about 2gb of data. This is with 2 outdoor cameras, plus a Ring base station and assorted sensors. We have only checked live view maybe 10 times, and instead check the camera recordings mostly only when there is a motion alert. We will be adding 2 more cameras, and will likely start checking live view more often since we have a 6 gb/month plan.

AWESOME solution for off grid security!!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

How were you able to see your bandwidth usage?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi!

I have T-mobile prepaid for the 4g LTE data service - it costs me 25 bucks/month for 6GB/month.

When I log into my account on the T-mobile site, I can check "line usage" and it shows me data use for the month. I can also click through and it will show actual uses, and how much data per use. For example, my wife watched live view for 7 minutes or so, and I could see that afterwards it was around 23mb.

I think I can also log into the modem to see data use, but I'd have to be directly connected to it. Checking via T-mobile site I can check data from anywhere.

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

@dflinn2002 wrote:

How were you able to see your bandwidth usage?

I have an Asus router model that has Traffic/Bandwidth monitoring features.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi thank you for the graph, really useful representation of usage. I'm also trying to see the data usage for my Ring Pro.

What App or program you used to generate the graph?

Thanks

Highlighted
New Neighbor

> I have T-mobile prepaid for the 4g LTE data service - it costs me 25 bucks/month for 6GB/month

If Sprint is available at your location, Tello has some  plans that could save you some money - 6 GB  for $20, and if you don't need the 6 GB/month, they have 4 GB for $15.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Good to know! Thanks for sharing the info, Cordcutter99!

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

My 7GB monthly usage in 8/2019 has gone up to about 30GB in 2/2020 (see image below).
Other than software and firmware updates that may have made the Ring Pro more sensitive and caused more recordings, I can't think why the bandwidth usage may have increased 4-fold.