Shared User device not showing up

I registered and added my parents to our ring doorbell so that they can access it or get notified if some on has entered our property but the doorbell and other devices don’t show up in their dashboard/ account and the only time they get any notifications is if someone rings the bell only then do they get any notifications but nothing else, can anyone help?

1 Like

Hey there, @Abdur1025! When you invite someone to be a shared user on your Ring device, they should receive an email of this. Once they accept this invitation, it may take some time for the Ring app to display the device. After waiting some time, if the shared device still does not show, please have them remove and reinstall the Ring app on their mobile device. I recommend also visiting the Control Center in your Ring app menu, selecting Shared Users, and double checking the invitations there. Our help center article about Share Users contains more information on inviting, and what shared users can, or cannot, do. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

How much time is some time?

My husband has installed the doorbell and linked it to our Echo Show as well as send me an invite to join.

I have followed the link in the email and set up my own account. I then installed the Ring app but no devices show up in my Dashboard.

So how long can it take for the device to show up?

I have Wifi as I’m sitting right next to the Modem and it’s full strength, so no issues there.

So how long should I wait before deleting the Ring App and reinstalling it?

2 Likes

It’s now been at least half a day. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Ring App on my phone yesterday.

Today I used the Ring Doorbell and nothing shows up in the App at all.

Hi @Sisqi76, happy to chime in here. When you open the Ring App, you should see the name of your location at the top of the screen. Try tapping this to bring up a drop-down list of all locations, as you should see one that says (Shared) in the title. Try tapping this location, and you should then see the Doorbell that was shared with you.

8 Likes

Finally! Thanks for this. I’ve been trying for days to figure out why my shared users (family) couldn’t view the alarm system.

1 Like

Caitlyn’s response above should be the first thing on Ring’s Shared User FAQ/Support site. My wife and and could not figure it out for hours and were getting very frustrated - until I found Caitlyn’s response. Thank you!

6 Likes

Thank you Caitlyn. What happens if instead of the location it says ‘no location’? Also my husband has accepted the invitation but the app still says my user hasn’t responded to my invite. Thank you

1 Like

Hi @PMcD1. Make sure he created a Ring account with the same email address that you sent the invite to. If it’s the correct email, I’d suggest deleting the user under Shared Users in your Ring App and then resending the invite. If that still doesn’t do the trick, then our support team should be able to help you get this sorted out. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, Caitlyn None of the Ring documentation that I read on shared users says anything about needing to use the drop down menu to find the Shared devices or that they would be in a different location in the app. There is no need to reinstall the application, and doing so won’t fix not seeing them.
We wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why the Shared User function wasn’t working.

1 Like

From the app, click Control Center, then Shared Users and Accept. Geez why doesn’t ring put this in the instructions for the sender of the invitation or in the email.

3 Likes

Because it doesn’t work either. I’ve gotten multiple invites from the same person and nothing EVER shows up in “shared users.”

2 Likes

There’s another potential cause for this problem. If the person originally sent you the invite longer than 7 days ago, you won’t see the device to add to your shared list. EVEN IF THE PERSON RESENDS THE INVITE, you will NOT see it as a shared device.

The user who originally invited you needs to remove you and re-add you from scratch to fix this situation.

4 Likes

Nope, doesn’t work. it shows my address but nothing happens when I tap the address.

2 Likes