Setup will not Complete on iPhone Ring App

Hello All:

I just purchased a Ring 2nd Generation doorbell and almost everything is working well. I have it hardwired to my pre-existing doorbell and connected to my pre-existing mechanical chime. When the button on the Ring doorbell is pressed, the indoor mechanical chime sounds, I get alerts on my iPhone, I can speak to and hear the person outside who rang the bell, the app records the activity, so as I mentioned, just about everything is working.

The issue I’m having is the in-app setup doesn’t successfully complete (even though everything is working). It fails every time at the “Chime Connection” step, even though that’s working. When I press this step, the app says “Checking your doorbell system…We’re making sure your Ring Doorbell can receive the power it needs”, then the message displayed reads “Something went wrong.” The app says Setup Incomplete and I always see the message at the bottom of the app that says “Tap here to complete your device setup”.

I’ve read numerous posts that point to the doorbell transformer as possibly being the culprit for similar issues, but as I mentioned, everything works, the chime, the audio, the video, etc. So my question is has anyone experienced similar behavior and could the transformer be the issue even though it seems like the doorbell is receiving enough power to perform all the functions?

6 Likes

Hi @rmdodger. Thank you for going into detail on what you’re experiencing. You shouldn’t be seeing a prompt to complete the setup if the setup was already successfully completed and the Doorbell is working properly. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of this prompt and the error message you receive in the Ring App when you try to complete the setup? I’d be happy to take a look. :slight_smile:

Hi Caitlyn:

Thanks for the quick reply, attached are screen shots, I took four but can only post two, so I will send another reply with the last two. The setup was not completed successfully, but everything works as it should with the configuration I desire (Ring Doorbell connected via hardwire to previous doorbell wiring and utilizing the previous mechanical chime).

Everything works, but I’d like to “officially” complete the setup successfully so I can get rid of the prompt in the app.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing your analysis.

Hi Caitlyn:

Here are the other two screen shots.

I am having the exact same issue and another friend just set his up and is getting the same error

1 Like

I have exactly the same issue also (althoug slightly different device Ring Doorbell 3 plus). Everything works fine, just annoying that the app says my set up is incomplete…

1 Like

I’m also having this same issue. Very annoying

1 Like

Same exact issue with Ring 3 plus!

1 Like

I am having a similar issue as well (mentioned here) - app stuck in “Something went wrong” setup, though not sure if other factors are at play. Sounds like the stuck in something went wrong state may be a more common issue and partially in play in my case as well.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problem on android. Everything works fine, I just can’t complete the setup or get rid of the prompt

Exact same issue. Everything seems to be working with my RIng Doorbell 3 and using a wifi chime. But setup app won’t complete. This is using app on Android. It is in the screen called Final Steps, and Chime Connection is the second option. THe others all have green check marks.

WHen I tap Chime Connection, it says “Checking your dorrbel system… we’re making sure your Ring Doorbell can receive the power it needs”

Spinning circle, then “AN error occured…”

So bottom of screen continues to say Setup Incomplete.

But my Ring Chime is connected via wifi, and it works when the doorbell is pressed.

Please advise.

2 Likes

Same issue…

1 Like

Hey neighbors! For this concern, please try resetting your Doorbell and then taking it through a fresh setup in the Ring App. To reset the Doorbell, you’ll want to hold down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After that’s done, follow the steps under Set Up a Device in the Ring App to set it back up. Let me know if this resolves the concern with the setup not completing.

Hi Caitlyn:

I did a reset as you outlined even before I posted the issue and that did not resolve the issue.

Any other suggestions?

1 Like

I am having the exact same issue, just installed my Ring this morning PST. Everything working fine just cant complete setup on the chime connection. Just setup the Ring Video doorbell 3.

1 Like

Exact same problem with doorbell 3. Replaced my existing doorbell. Everything works but the setup won’t complete and getting the same message as OP.

1 Like

Still not working after reset. Any other suggestions, thanks

1 Like

Same exact issue with me and I tried resetting right after reading this chain of comments / responses.

1 Like

Add me to the list - same problem!! I would have thought that someone with Ring would monitor the community for issues like this.

1 Like

I am having the same issue as everyone else with my Doorbell 3 Plus. My next troubleshooting step is factory reset of the device.

Attached are images of the screen before and after the error.

1 Like