Selecting Audio device Mac Pro

Hi there, i have a Ring Video Doorbell 2 and in the preferences pane in the application it has the option of setting the audio output device.

There are 4 options

1 Built in Output (internal speaker)

2 Built in Output (line Out)

3 Built in Output (digital)

4 Pro Tools Aggregate device

no matter which one i select it always comes out of the internal speaker.

Help please, Ed

I’ve had this same problem on my Mac for years. The auido for the Ring application will only play via the built in speaker on my Mac Pro (trash can style). Selecting different Audio Output Devices makes no difference. I’ve removed the Ring application and reinstalled but still the same issue. Audio out works fine on all other programs playing thru my external speakers. I sure wish someone would find a solution.

Ahh well at least it’s not just me then.
Thanks

Similar but slightly different problem: on my 2017 iMac running macOS 10.14.6, I have a number of possible sound outputs as seen in the attached jpg. Currently my headphones (wired) are selected in the screenshot, but I usually have internal spkr selected.

Makes no difference, the sound always comes out on the Acer display’s miserable muffled built-in spkrs. Since the Acer is connected USB-C/HDMI there’s really no way to hide its spkrs.

Almost seems like Ring s/w looks at the list and selects the alphabetically first one.

_ Ring folks _: pls have Ring follow the sys prefs-selected output as almost all other apps do. Or give me a selector in Ring prefs.

this post to trigger email notifications when someone elses’s response comes in (I forgot to tick email checkbox) - sorry

Hi neighbors! Thank you for the continued feedback on this functionality, and for the detailed breakdown of your experiences. I will certainly pass this along to our teams.

As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, Marley. This is the kind of rapid and sensible response that greatly increases my confidence in you folks (unlike many other suppliers).

Of course, the next step also needs to be carried out, which is to evaluate the submissions, and the next also, to act on the most worthy and urgent suggestions in a way that meets user needs, not as a checklist item.

I think my suggestion is worthy, but not really that urgent, as I have an iPhone and an iPad on which I can hear my audio, so 'll wait in line if I develop sufficient confidence in the process to warrant it. Most users with my definitely first-world issue will by the very nature of the issue also have more than normal average with which to cope with it. Power users, after all.

I’ll resubmit a version of the original request to the new board.

1 Like