Ring video door bell randomly rings

We have had no problems, until this week! The door bell rings, the dogs go wild and there is no one there ( or around the corner , or by the cars.) I got to the record of actions one the Rings and there is nothing there! The battery is good, we are not wired to the old door bell. Kind of unnerving!

1 Like

We just had our ring doorbell installed yesterday and it randomly rings - no one presses the doorbell. In addition, the ring is connected to the chime that came with the house. It makes a noise as though a helicopter is trying to land on the house!

Our’s have been in place for over two years and just started ramdomly rings on it’s own. Removed and disconnected the unit and cleaned and inspected, with no visable problems. All the wires and contacts looked fine. Reinstalled and reconnected the Ring but it did not fix the problem. The button doesn’t stick and nothing in the wiring had been changed since the initial set up. I did turn off all notifications and it still rings my normal house chime. The unit rings for every 15 or so minutes to every couple of hours, with no rhyme or reason. The Ring unit is under cover from sun and weather. I can’t believe under these conditions that the unit woul go bad so soon.

8 Likes

We just installed ring few months ago, recently the doorbell started going omg on its own. Pretty frightening when it happens at 2 am, dog goes crazy. Our doorbell is not very old, maybe 4 yrs. I don’t like not having it disconnected. Disappointed also

3 Likes

Hey neighbors! For any concern on this situation please refer to our post that we have accepted as a solution in this thread. If you still cannot reach a resolution, please reach out to our support team here.

1 Like

We’ve only had our Ring doorbell about 2 weeks and this has happened to us twice. It’s scary because the video goes black for a few seconds making it seem like someone hacked us. Now that I’ve read that this happens to other people with no real solution, I’m going to return it and buy another spotlight camera. We bought from Ring and like it so we’ll probably get another. Very disappointed! Paid $300

Hey @Tess207. Security is our top priority at Ring, and our team of security experts are always working to ensure that you are safe and protected on all fronts. If you have any questions about the security of Ring devices, we’re happy to answer them. We understand the importance of keeping your data secure and follow the industry standard when it comes to encryption protection.

For the few seconds of black video in the beginning, this could be related to the Doorbell’s connection to the router. If you visit your Device Health page, you can see how the connection is for your Doorbell right now and how to improve it if needed. You can learn more about your RSSI and what to do to lower this number for better video coverage in our Community post here. If you still find no relief there, please check out our Ring Help Center Article here on black video. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

No…I spent hours on this! Its only blacked out at exactly the time the doorbell rings with nobody there. Also. I did call your support people. The girl. Jovie said that everyhing on the video was clear on her end. So the next time it happened i took a screenshot to show you. See attached…Also, now that I see all of these other customers complaining of the same issue it makes me wonder why your rep didn’t tell me you’re aware of the problem and working on a solution. Nobody expects their doorbell to ring in the middle of the night for no reason. It’s just wrong!

3 Likes

Hey @Tess207, the Snapshot footage being available is going to be different than the video being completely black at the beginning. Are you having a concern with Snapshots not appearing and being unavailable, or are the videos black in the beginning? If the situation is the latter, please attach a video share link so we can see what this looks like in video format!

Also, to better understand your concern, are you having it where your Chime Kit in your home is randomly going off in the middle of the night, or are you having it where the Ring Video Doorbell is randomly dinging in the middle of the night? It could be a wiring concern with your Chime Kit to the Doorbell that is setting it off, which would explain why you don’t see footage in your history, as it’s on the wiring that’s triggering it to go off and not the Doorbell itself.

The doorbells worked fine for several months. Now the doorbell rings randomly for 15 or 20 minutes, several times each day.

1 Like

This answer doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Pop off the original mechanical chime cover, ensure that the wires to the leads are Front (red) and Trans (white). Attach the leads of the Power Pro to either leads. The ■■■■■ owner prior to me had the Rear and Front leads connected without the Trans…caused all kinds of weirdness when I installed the Ring. Worked correctly when I popped the Rear (white wire) off and moved to Trans lead.

1 Like

I’m having the same issues as everyone else on this thread… I’ve had my front door ring for about 2 years… Everything worked fine up until this week. Now I’m getting phantom rings and phantom notifications. You guys say this issue is solved in this thread, but it’s apparently not solved if all these people are still having issues. I have recommended your product to friends and family over the past couple years but I’m starting to wonder if you guys are clueless if you claim something is resolved when it’s obviously not. When. I look at my phantom rings, the video starts out black and then nobody is there. When I checked the devices health, everything is good with it. But when I’m trying to look at the live feed when I get phantom notifications, it says poor phone connection. Which is kind of impossible because I have crazy fast wifi throughout the house. Also when I try and view “Live View” it’s taking over 30 seconds to open up a live view… That’s unacceptable. Please advise how to fix these issues prior to me dumping your stuff and buying a competing unit and losing the money I spent on your stuff. I don’t like being woken up in the early morning with false notifications and/false rings. I’ve attached one of the false rings that show only black… Correction… I tried connecting my video download, but you guys don’t allow it

3 Likes

Our Ring doorbell just rang while we were home. This is the 1st time (to my knowledge) it has happened. I checked our (non-Ring) cameras and there was nobody there. I literally watched the video footage while the doorbell rang and it happened on its own. I agree with the previous comment, Ring has certainly NOT resolved or solved the issue.

Three possible causes:

1. My Ring product is defective

2. Someone has figured out a way to make people’s Ring products “fire” remotely

3. Ghosts

My app also fired off a notification to my phone…but because I don’t pay your lousy subscription service, it wouldn’t show me video. So, will Ring respond with elite customer service or continue pretending there is no issue?

1 Like

Roben

1 Like

Ours rang without anyone being there. I looked around to see if there was some pranking us; no one there. I went back to look at the log, for when the door bell is activated; nobody or record of anyone. I checked to see if there was a problem in the doorbell. The battery was low and needing to battery. So far no fantom rings! Maybe the battery was the problem.

1 Like

Our doorbell randomly rings in the middle of the night multiple times. We have checked the wiring and the compatibility and all is fine. I beleive we need a new power pack that it may be defective. I am not sure. This only happens in the middle of the night when we are all sleeping, never during the day which is very strange. Please help as it is annoying to wake up everytime it rings breaking up our sleep.

3 Likes

Has anyone found a real solution for this issue? Had my Ring doorbell for over 2 years working fine up until a couple weeks ago when it was going off on its own. It was going crazy…ring but no one there. I have another security camera by the front porch so definitely not anyone playing prank. Eventually it stopped and we didn’t even realize it had stopped working altogether despite the blue circle light still on as we had a delivery that rang the doorbell but we weren’t aware of it. We then tested pressing the doorbell button to no chime and motion detection not working. Looked at the app and and it was showing offline. Took it out and it showed a low battery of 2%. Tried charging but doesn’t seem to be charging as that 2% hasn’t gone up. We are using the original wires and measured the voltage to be 18V so our transformater is still good. I am thinking after 2 years, the battery can no longer hold a charge or after they upgraded the firmware to support auto video display on the Echo Show devices. Can the battery be replaced or do we have to junk it and buy a whole new Ring doorbell, which is not cheap at $200 ($100 for the old version). I might have to go with a different brand so it doesn’t required a battery to work properly. It could be due to the buggy firmware, which would explain why those new users having this same problem even though it’s only been a couple weeks old.

2 Likes

After about 2 years… i am having the same exact problem everyone is talking about. Its been happening for about 2 weeks. Wth is going ?

3 Likes

Same issue. Had my doorbell same amount of time. Still no answer on how to fix it

1 Like