Ring should sell Ring Doorbell Pro battery

Hey Ring. Can you sell Ring Doorbell Pro’s internal battery part?

Ring should sell Ring Doorbell Pro’s internal battery as serviceable part. Ring Doorbell Pro’s internal battery will wear out eventually. Based on what I gather, it seems the lifespan seems to be roughly 1-3 years. What is very unfortunate is that the battery is customized one and hard to find to fix the issue.

Here is detail.

My Ring Doorbell Pro reboots whenever button is pressed. It attempts to ring the home chime briefly and the Ring turns off and reboot. It was working fine for past 2 years.

I already tried new transformers (16V 30VA and 24V 40VA) and both didn’t fix the issue. I am using Power Kit and it is doing its job as such voltage measurement at the Ring’s backpanel wire screw was 16V and 24V respectively when measured with voltimeter.

Now I had to disable the home chime from Ring App and uses Ring Chime that I bought separately.

After a bit of research, I came across this article that explains why this was happening:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Ring+Video+Doorbell+Pro+Battery+Replacement/119125

Essentially Ring has this internal battery and it is not great quality that it wears out in 1-3 years for many people.

While having this iFixIt article is great that at least there is hope to fix it, the problem is that the steps here is not for average homeowners and requires soldering with fragile parts.

Ring should sell this battery so that homeowners can fix this easier rather than replacing entire device.

Ring, what do you think?

Hey there, @shjin! Our Video Doorbell Pro is designed to last a long time and work dependably on a properly rated transformer, or power supply. If you are noticing low power symptoms, the best first step is to check the transformer, chime kit, and wiring for any power resistance variables. Our devices all feature a standard one year warranty, which can be extended by subscribing to a Protect Plus Plan while within the original warranty time frame. This can help if you’ve exhausted all other steps and are still noticing power loss or device operation concerns.

We advise against taking apart your Ring device, removing internal components, or physically altering the device in any way, as this can cause functionality concerns and void warranty. Our support team is always happy to take a more in-depth look at these concerns if needed. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

@Marley_Ring wrote:

Hey there, @shjin! Our Video Doorbell Pro is designed to last a long time and work dependably on a properly rated transformer, or power supply. If you are noticing low power symptoms, the best first step is to check the transformer, chime kit, and wiring for any power resistance variables. Our devices all feature a standard one year warranty, which can be extended by subscribing to a Protect Plus Plan while within the original warranty time frame. This can help if you’ve exhausted all other steps and are still noticing power loss or device operation concerns.

We advise against taking apart your Ring device, removing internal components, or physically altering the device in any way, as this can cause functionality concerns and void warranty. Our support team is always happy to take a more in-depth look at these concerns if needed. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I have already tried 16V 30VA transformer and also tried 24V 40VA transformer. I’ve measured the voltage that reaches the doorbell and they are within the spec. The power kit is properly installed.

The problem happened after 2.5 years and I didn’t have Protect Plus plan at the time of warranty. I cannot go back in time machine to subscribe the Protect Plus plan.

I would have subscribed Protect Plus plan if I knew it is only going to last 2.5 years.

And regardless, I would still suggest Ring still should offer the battery as possible purchase given there are actually people having issues with the battery going bad.

Did you have a chance to read this articles?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Ring+Video+Doorbell+Pro+Battery+Replacement/119125

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/dsu8ab/replace_ring_pro_internal_batter_pack_with_parts/

1 Like

I just bought my doorbell pro and after that I read about this internal LiPo problem. :frowning:

I think Ring should redesign this unit with replaceable internal battery. These batteries definitely cannot handle well in cold weather (freezing Canadian winter). Ring definitely has the resource to redesign a better unit. If they can commit and achieve that, they will have long term customers who stay with them.

1 Like

After two years of successful operation, our Ring Doorbell Pro ceased working. Like others experiencing the same problems, I followed all of the steps that Ring suggests to troubleshoot and repair the issues. At no point was it even remotely offered by Ring that the unit may have a dead internal battery.

My frustrations on this issue are twofold. First, the unit should be designed with a longer life-span, designed with a replaceable internal battery, or RING should offer quick and easy access to repair options. Secondly, and in many cases more importantly, RING appears to have gone to great lengths to keep this internal battery issue quiet.

I would be less irritated at the situation if I had called customer service, described the symptoms and steps take to repair the unit, and was told UP FRONT that there was a chance that I’d have to replace it. Instead, I have wasted expensive time diagnosing and researching repair options on the internet. Save me that time up front, be honest with me, and I’d gladly pay another $250 AND buy the extended service plan for the new one! Now, despite other RING devices, I’m considering alternatives.

Brian

1 Like

Same issue after about 3 years it has stopped working. I feel bad as I’m paying yearly storage fees, but most of the time the bell is not working. Have tried it with 3 different transformers all within the specifications suggested by Ring, doesn’t help. After reset it works, but with the first bell ring, it stops again. Like others have said here seems poor battery choice and design by Ring. The cold freezing Michigan winters kill the battery fast.

Loved the product while it worked and Ring’s customer service, but it is too high a cost given the product’s life expectancy. I feel I gave bad advice to so many of my friends to buy this doorbell.

I have the same problem. My Ring Doorbell Pro worked great for about four years and then stopped activating my hardwired digital chime. Ring support looked at it from online and told me that it was rebooting every time the doorbell button was pressed. They told me that the internal battery in the Ring Doorbell was bad and the Doorbell needed to be replaced. I didn’t see that as a good option at $250. They asked me to turn off the “Ring my in-home doorbell” in the Ring App. This kept the Ring Doorbell Pro from rebooting. Then they offered me a small discount on a new Ring Doorbell Pro or a discount on a Chime Pro. I don’t like either option. I feel that Ring should replace the doorbell with a new or refurbished one.
I have recommended the Ring Doorbell to many friends and have also installed them for friends and family. I don’t think that I will be recommending this doorbell any more.
Frustrated!!

1 Like

Just over 2 years with my Ring Doorbell Pro, and I hit the same issue. Over 2 hours on the phone with tech support, much of it spent verifying (repeatedly) my wiring and power delivery, and they never mentioned the battery as a potential failure point. I had to look through forums to find similar failures and get pointed in the right direction (the official support pages don’t include the light pattern I’ve been seeing). These devices are designed around a battery that will often fail in under 3 years. That’s a shocking design flaw, and I wouldn’t recommend anyone buy one at that current price point.

2 Likes

Same problem here… mine lasted a few years. Canadian winters seems to worsen the problem. I ordered a replacement battery and also a replacement for the button that cracked after a year but I think I will just ditch the thing entirely. Ring, redesign this thing… maybe a capacitor instead of a battery? Or at least stop hiding the fact it has a battery that can’t be replaced.