Ring gen 2 not charging with solar charger

I purchased the Ring Doorbell 2nd Gen and the Solar Charger for 2nd gen but it is not charging my device. It has several hours of direct sunlight but it is still not working. Any advice?

1 Like

Hi @Boilerbabe! Direct sunlight is the number one variable to check, and it sounds like you have. Beyond ensuring plenty of direct sunlight, I recommend also not having too many motion events, ring events, or lengthy live view events. Wifi interference can also drain battery as the Doorbell must fight to remain connected. This can be checked in the device health section of your Ring app.

It is possible you are receiving the charge from the Solar Charger, but the battery could be draining quicker than the charge can apply. Checking the above variables should certainly improve this for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is so frustrating! I have a solar charger since I can not hardwire my doorbell. I have full sun and have changed the settings so many times with the help of ring. The power source still says battery and not solar charger but when I call ring they say it is connected it still depletes the battery. I have received a new solar charger and a new ring but continue to have the same issue, obviously, this is a ring issue that needs to br resolved!

Hi @BellaC. Since you have already been in touch with our support team and your device is still not reporting the solar status properly, it would be best for you to follow up with them directly. They’ll be able to take a look at your account and devices and offer more in-depth troubleshooting help. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: