Ring doorbell showing black recording

Same issue for me. Black video on all recordings and live videos. I’ll climb my ladder to reset the camera, then about 3 days later, it stops working again. All wifi signals are fine (-38). I had this issue when I first got the two cameras. They were both replaced. Now, only one works and the other is still having the same issues after about a year. I spent 3.5 hours on the phone with two customer service agents in one call, and I really don’t want to go through all of that again. I’ve done all of the typical resetting and router adjusting. Any new info on this issue?

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem. All Motion video clips are black.

Nothing has changed on the network - wired or wireless. Same ISP.

Doesn’t matter where I access the clips from - and whether I use the mobile app or the website in the browser - all are black.

I’m not going to do anything. I’m sure Ring will fix THEIR problem at some stage. Or the doorbell will get ripped off the wall and thrown in the trash.

1 Like

This is definitely a Ring issue. ‘PERSON DETECTED’ clips playback fine. As do ‘LIVE VIEW’ clips.

It only happens with ‘MOTION’ clips.

I’ve disabled Motion Verification to see if that does help as the black clips have ‘Unverified Motion Event’ across the top of the screen during playback.

Ring - still going to claim this is a wireless or wired network, or connectivity issue?

Sort. It. Out.

This has all the signs of being unable to process or cope with the volume of motion clips.

For me, it turned out my ring 2 doorbell kept using the 5Ghz wifi signal intead of the 2.4Ghz signal. The 5G had all kinds of ping latency from the router to the ring, but the 2.4 was much more stable. Since I didn’t have an option to disable 5G on the Ring 2… I disabled it on the wifi access point and the Ring snapped to life. Live access, recording, everything works perfectly now. Hope this helps someone else!

2 Likes

I’ve had my Ring doorbells for over three years and never had an issue. They are both hardwired. About two weeks ago the black screen videos started. I took the recommended steps and now every other video records as a black screen with each doorbell. Sometimes I can get a live few; other times it’s unable to successfully connect. I also have a Ring floodlight - those videos consistently record clearly without any issues of a black screen. My router is fine, my internet speed is not an issue, and I’m within the recommended RSSI range. This is very frustrating - maybe it’s time to switch to Nest. I don’t have any issues with my two Nest cameras.

I agree that the issue is with Ring and needs to be resolved quickly.

4 Likes

Here is my situation by checking my saved archived video recordings to determine why all of a sudden my video recordings and Live Video when to Black Screens.

6:35pm 9/3/20 video recording of me showed a good video of myself taking out the trash.

6:37 pm 9/3/20 video recording went Black when I returned back to my house after taking out the trash. Today is 9/7/20 and I noticed that since that point, all my video recordings and Live Video feeds were Black Screens. I would get push notifications on my phone when someone was at the front door but continued to have black screen recordings. This defeated the purpose of having a smart video doorbell if I couldn’t monitor Amazon packages or activity around my house from a security standpoint. Really odd since I didn’t change any modem, router settings nor changed the locations of my router and wifi extender. SpeedTest indicated 150 mps download and 15mps upload when standing near my Ring Doorbell 2. I checked my Device Health settings and is still Hardwired, Very Good signal and RSSI-61. Firmware said it was up to date. My router’s Firmware was also up to date. The Ring Doorbell was on 2.4 GHZ channel too. I did a Google search and came across the standard Ring help page that described to log in to your Ring account on your computer and check video recordings there. If those recordings were also Black Screens like they were on the phone app, the Ring help page said that from a troubleshooting perspective, it must be an issue with the internet connection between the Ring device and the Ring Cloud. It then proceeded to describe an elaborate description on how to troubleshoot your modem/router settings. I then came across this Ring Community in which multiple people have had the same problem which is not right. I have had my Ring Doorbell for 1.5 years without an issue until this point. I ended up getting mine to work! All I did to get mine to start working again was disconnect the power from the Ring Doorbell and reconnect, uninstall the device from your phone app, and reconnect the phone app to your Ring device by scanning the QR code and following the standard setup procedures. It cleared up the issue for me and now is working. Hope it works for other people instead of trying to reconfigure your wifi router or buying a new Ring product.

2 Likes

This is not solved several months later.

Just realized one of my ring cameras had been saving only black recordings most of this week. The still, between motion events, time lapse images are saved but all else just shows up as black.

Hi neighbors! Video connection concerns are often related to wifi, mobile device, or Ring app communication variables. The best first thing to check is your wifi signal strength, or RSSI, which can be found in the Device Health section of your Ring app. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

Removing and reinstalling the Ring app is a quick way to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your mobile device. As you mentioned the recordings do not display video, please log in to your account at Ring.com to see if your recordings will play via web browser. Additionally, any recent network changes or new network equipment is always worth considering as a factor.

If this concern persists, try power cycling your Video Doorbell (if it has a quick release battery) by removing the battery for a couple moments, then replacing it in the Doorbell. You can also attempt a reset on the Video Doorbell, by holding the setup button for 20 seconds. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I discovered today that I’m having the same issue for the last two days without even knowing it.

It’s been affecting both my stickup cameras, with good -40 to -45 signal strength, and fully charged batteries.

I get a notification, but black video recording both through the app and through the ring.com website.

I think I was able to solve the issue though

1. I switched the wifi network to my guest network to open the connection and avoid any potential firewall problems.
  2. When I switched the cameras to setup mode, both decided they needed a software update and went offline for about 5 minutes.

Maybe there was a bug that popped up, and fiddling with the settings triggered the update. Or it’s also possible my Netgear router automatically updated and introduced a network problem as well.

Just sharing my experience and solution. Hopefully they continue to function well as they have for the last 1.5 years.

2 Likes

I am having this exact issue, It started yesterday with the motion alerts but ever video is black. I have walked in front of it and it doesnt go off and if I try to go live on my iphone or pc it cant bring up the door bell. I have tried all the steps on here with no luck. I tried to chat with support and it says chats not available. Thoughts?

Blacked out video is a problem. Notifications are sent of activity, but video is black and we can’t see anything. About every 10th notification I get a video works but the rest are blacked out. I have restarted wifi and devices and it is still a problem.

It was working fine for several weeks.

The “Black Recording of Death” has struck my Ring Doorbell 2. RSSI is -34 so connection to router is pretty good. Using the Android app and the PC Dashboard app give the same black recorings for motion detected notification. However, live viewing works fine for phone or PC Dashboard, so it’s not a router problem. I’ve gone through all the highly tecnnical solutions suggested on this site, and No Joy. Someting’s wrong either with Ring’s servers and/or their software.

This problem is NOT SOLVED!

4 Likes

Just started having same issue, all videos are now black

1 Like

I’m getting intermittent black videos starting Thirsday 9/24/2020, where I’ll have some good recordings in a row, followed by some black ones. There is no rhyme or reason, and its like this whether I use my browser to access my dashboard or Ring apps.

Everything was working fine since July when I added 2 stick up cams to my 2 doorbells. I’ve made no changes to routers, wifi, or anything, with good signal at all 4 devices. Rebooting the Xfinity wifi router didn’t help. Reserving IP address for the 4 ring devices didn’t help. No firewalls on the Xfinity wifi router. Adding/removing Xfi pods and rebooting Xfi wifi router again didn’t fix the problem.

It’s freaking frustrating.

I have a couple of wifi access points on different SSID’s that I can try connecting to, but having to remove the ring doorbells from the wall to access the “orange” button to change the network is a pain, as is getting a ladder to access the two stick up cams, so changing wifi network isn’t an option.

What makes it worse - I bought 2 indoor cams in that I haven’t installed yet but it’s too late to return them to Amazon; so ditching Ring for something else means throwing away hundreds of dollars of equipment, some not even used but too late to return.

EDIT - some times the device will work with live view, and others not, and it’s not always at the same time as when getting black recording - so sometimes no live view but motion is recorded, and sometimes I get neither, and sometimes I get live view but nothing was recorded, etc.

4 Likes

So, here is how I SOLVED the black video issue - Ring now seems to be working since I did some changes last night, and througout the day today it’s fine.

Context - I had switched to an Xfinity xFi Gateway wireless router with xFi pods (mesh network) about 6 weeks ago (switched from Apple Time Capsule), at the same time that I got the latest xFi gateway to replace my 4 year old box. I’d immediately had the black Ring video issue for the 1st 24 hours, but then EVERYTHING WORKED JUST FINE the past 6 weeks, until the issue came back 90% of the time from Thursday 9/24/20 thru Sunday 9/27/20.

For 4 days and thru the weekend and last night I was about to tear my hair out trying to fix things - I had 2 doorbells and 2 stick up cams that were intermittently taking turns not activating for live view or storing a working video after motion alert or live video. Videos viewed from a computer web browser were also black, so it was an issue with the video not properly going between the cameras and the cloud.

I reserved IP addresses in the router, I changed the names of my network and access points around, I rebooted anything that I could (cameras, gateway, access points, pods), I switched the cameras to a different network (3 diff SSID in the house), etc.

So as a last resort I put the xFi gateway into bridge mode, and set my Apple Airport Extreme Time Capsule to run as my wireless router (it had been in bridge mode acting like an NAS for time machine backups). I already had all my IP address reservations saved in the Airport TimeCapsule for D-Link cams and NAS, etc. when I’d previously used it as a router; so when I changed it back to being a router, all I had to do was add an IP address reservation for all 4 Ring devices like I did with the xFi gateway.

Since the Router and Modem are in the basement, and I lost the xFi mesh network when I put it in bridge mode, I plugged in a couple of extra Airport Extremes and set them to create their own network on the main floor and the other upstairs (like I had done before the xFi mesh). This time I set the network SSID on the main floor to be the MAIN SSID to which all the Ring and D-link cameras will connect. The Ring were no longer connecting to the wifi in the basement or the xFi pods upstairs (speed and strength had always been good).

Not only do I have Ring working, but it gave me back a guest network with my Apple router (xFi doesn’t have VLAN for second network, as it’s used for their hotspot I’m guessing), but also my iPhone 11 Pro Max is seeing 400+ mbps speeds on the main floor (while xFi was giving me about 50 mbps when connecting to a pod, or 250 mbps when connecting to the basement xFi gateway router).

I have also been experiencing the black screen, on one of my Rings - the one at the front door. This only started happening recently. I have not changed my routers, Wi-Fi , internet connection, or anything else. But, I have noticed one thing that is common on all of the black screen occurrences. I have a Ring spotlight set up in my driveway. So, when a delivery van pulls up to deliver a package to my front door, the Ring spotlight goes off first, and records for its 40 seconds. The delivery man walks up to the front door, and the front door Ring gets set off. But, because the front spotlight is already recording, the front door Ring doesn’t record (or at least the signal does not get through to the cloud to record). This WAS NOT an issue in the past. Only started recently. I note that if the Front Spotlight is NOT set off (like if I open the front door to pick up the package), then the front door Ring records just fine.

1 Like

That was one of my symptoms too - if one was recording the other didn’t. That is all working now, and both record video with motion at the same time, since I set up my netowrk with Apple Router instead of using the xFi gateway as the router.

I’ve also run into this problem after months of ok-ness.

Ring camera v1

Looks like it was due to a failed software update it tried. Noticed because first thing it did was update and present new options I never saw before ONCE I got it working.

Solution was:
Seperate home network to use diff SSID names for 5g and 2.4 VERY IMPORTANT
Hold orange button and reset 20 sec
Reinstall ring app
Remove camera and info from ring app
Add camera back to app
Choose 2.4 network
Wait for update to finish
Eventually everything back to normal
I’m not a rapper

1 Like