Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring doorbell showing black recording

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Ring doorbell showing black recording

As of today I noticed that if I click view once my doorbell goes off, and i mean i click it immedietely when it goes off, that it just keeps saying connecting to doorbell and i get impatient with it and just close it. But when I go back to view the recorded video it just shows a black screen. Now if I get a motion detection and I give it awhile before clicking I am able to view live view just fine and go back and am able to see that recording but at that point when I go live whatever set it off is already gone. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Ring doorbell showing black recording

Hey neighbors! I can understand your frustrations with a concern like this as I would also be worried if I was running into black videos on valuable footage that I needed available.

The post that has been previously marked as a solution does recommend you check out our Ring Help Center Article here to address this. I know that this article can be a bit in-depth and may not be possible to review and try many of the recommendations in this thread. If you feel you need assistance guiding through this information in here, please reach out to our support team here. They can help explain this for you, run through the troubleshooting steps, and help isolate your concerns. 

We have a great staff of experts that are available via phone or chat here. Additionally, we also have advanced levels of support if our first line of experts are unable to isolate this. They can help give you step by steps instructions to get it back up and running, walk you through what any router settings you may need to make will look like, and also help direct you on what to bring up to your ISP if needed. 

Neighbors in the Community, if you find any helpful tips and tricks you have done yourself to resolve this, please share. For any neighbors still unable to get this fixed, I strongly encourage spending time with our support team. This is a neighbor to neighbor forum and not a direct line to support. It's best to have our support team look at your personal account and devices to give you the proper resolution, as the steps needed to be taken may differ from neighbor to neighbor. Smiley Happy

I am updating and accepting this post as the new solution. This is a helpful way for other neighbors that come into this thread to try these recommended troubleshooting steps. If these troubleshooting steps do not work, it is encouraged to reach out to support here. If you have found any solutions that have worked for you, please share in depth information and examples as to what you've done to help assist other neighbors in this forum or finding it for the first time. Thank you.

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.

View solution in original post

91 REPLIES 91
Highlighted
New Neighbor

My Ring Pro doorbell also has a black screen when I view Event History.  The small Camera view is visable, but when I open the Event History, the screen is black.  The doorbell is wired, so no dead battery issues.  Out of 9 "events" only one was visable.  And I even rang the doorbell, and that was also a black screen..I'm almost wondering why I spent the money on "security"..

Highlighted
New Neighbor

My Ring doorbell just started this as well, 11/2/19 ~ 930AM...  I haven't changed anything in my router or home wifi.  I've reset everything with no changes.  

Highlighted
Community Moderator

If the black or blank videos are persisting, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the app to ensure it is integrated optimally with your mobile device and updated. Remember also to check the Device Health to ensure your RSSI (signal strength) is strong. Check out our Community post for tips on a good RSSI. 

If these concerns continue, please contact our support team, at 800-656-1918, for more in depth troubleshooting. 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thanks. I tried multiple things. Then I tried the online chat assistance and their suggestions. I called RSA tech support and worked with them. Nothing. The unit had to be replaced.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Also reported here: https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Black-Video-Recordings-Ring-2/td-p/4454

I just got another one on my Ring Pro, same circumstances: 40 seconds of black video.  This is not an app playback issue -- I see the same thing on desktop from the Ring web site -- so reinstalling the app is unlikely to matter.  This is not missing video, or video that stopped part way through; this is 40 seconds of black, every time.

Device Health shows RSSI -55, which is in the "sufficient" range (-65 to -41). Speed test holding my phone next to the doorbell shows 26.74 / 10.28 / 30ms.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Now it's the third day in a row of black screens on my phone and on the Ring.com website.  I have uninstalled and re-installed the Ring phone app several times.  My phone/modem/doorbell are within 3 feet of each other.. My Ring had 15 Motion alerts and only 2 have a view of what was going on in my front yard...  I had my security company hardwire install..  So I don't think your solution is working for me..

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi, if you have a PRO and you are getting Black records all the time it's because there is an issue with the unit setting up a connection to the Ring cloud after the button push. It can be a connectivity issue, but its worth checking if when you push the button the Ring light goes out...?  If it does this indicates a power issue, and potentially an problem with the small internal battery or capacitor circuit inside the Ring PRO. The light going out indicates a power issue, where there is either not enough power being supplied or the battery is dying - hence the negotiated connection to the cloud Is black.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

FWIW, I downloaded a successful 20-second video, and compared it to a 40-second black video in VLC (Tools > Codec information, Codec tab).

• The good 20-second video was 7.5MB, 1920x1080@15fps, with an audio track.
  • The black 40-second video was 35KB, 1280x720@25fps, with no audio track.

So it's actually using different codec parameters.

Button shows the animated blue circle after a button push.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

It seems this is a relatively recent concern for several users.

I just experienced this for the first time @ 7:22 am EST 11/12/2019 - nested between motion capture video that displayed just fine.

There is NOT a problem with my router - and the app seems ok - in a browser on the desktop one can observe the same problem.

We can hope that Ring resolves the issue quickly.