Ring doorbell showing black recording

You got to be kidding. This router reconfiguration is not even possible when the router is owned by AT&T. Even if it was possible, its nothing a common user could do. The problem started several days ago with no chnage on my side.

This is not fixed!!!

2 Likes

Mine started doing this today after about 2 PM. Live view works fine, event history videos are not. I have a symmetric 1Gb upload and download speed and the ring has good connection. Not sure what the deal is.

Im glad I’m not the only one having this issue. Started a couple weeks ago with my Doorbell 2. 1 year Warranty is up next week for me. Hopefully this issue that is so called “Solved” gets another look by developers.:cry:

1 Like

Hey neighbors! I can understand your frustrations with a concern like this as I would also be worried if I was running into black videos on valuable footage that I needed available.

The post that has been previously marked as a solution does recommend you check out our Ring Help Center Article here to address this. I know that this article can be a bit in-depth and may not be possible to review and try many of the recommendations in this thread. If you feel you need assistance guiding through this information in here, please reach out to our support team here. They can help explain this for you, run through the troubleshooting steps, and help isolate your concerns.

We have a great staff of experts that are available via phone or chat here. Additionally, we also have advanced levels of support if our first line of experts are unable to isolate this. They can help give you step by steps instructions to get it back up and running, walk you through what any router settings you may need to make will look like, and also help direct you on what to bring up to your ISP if needed.

Neighbors in the Community, if you find any helpful tips and tricks you have done yourself to resolve this, please share. For any neighbors still unable to get this fixed, I strongly encourage spending time with our support team. This is a neighbor to neighbor forum and not a direct line to support. It’s best to have our support team look at your personal account and devices to give you the proper resolution, as the steps needed to be taken may differ from neighbor to neighbor. :slight_smile:

I am updating and accepting this post as the new solution. This is a helpful way for other neighbors that come into this thread to try these recommended troubleshooting steps. If these troubleshooting steps do not work, it is encouraged to reach out to support here. If you have found any solutions that have worked for you, please share in depth information and examples as to what you’ve done to help assist other neighbors in this forum or finding it for the first time. Thank you.

Hi,

I started having the same Black Video Recording problem on both of my Floodlight Cams together since 4-Mar-2020.

Initially i suspected something wrong with my connection and worked with my ISP for a few days, till i was 100% sure that my connection was good. I am getting better uploads/downloads then what i was getting previously.

Next i tried reseting and reconfiguring both the Floodlight Cams… both have been reconfigured, but the problem still persists…

I get notified everytime a motion is detected but when i open the video… its black…

I contacted Ring support today, and the expert support sent me the basic step by step reset guide … something i told them i had already done…

No further support was provided… and i was advised to try the same again… and let them know if the problem still persists :frowning:

Now that i have seen at the forum that this problem is widespread, im sure there is something wrong at Ring side and not with the connectivity… but am disappointed with the level of support provided…

18 Likes

Hi neighbors! We would love to help take a further look into this for you. Can you please help us by answering a few questions?

1. Have you recently talked to support?

2. What device is this happening on?

3. Can you please test on a hotspot to rule out network? Please also test data vs wifi as well.

4. Is there a particular time / date when you receive black recordings?

Any video examples are also greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I am facing the same problem with Doorbell 2. Black screen with ring logo on playing motion video. Live view recording and viewing fine. Called ring help 3-4 times, tried all the remidies they suggested. No issue with the router speed, using same router for many years . They though it could be a hardware issue. They sent me a new door bell 2.

After instalation, new doorbell recorded and played 2-3 motions on the day one (no black screen). Later, picture turned black again. I am back to square 1.

I do not want to call them again as Ring people don’t have any remedy for this issue. I believe this is some kind of bug like Corona Virus which needs to be rectified asap. This is a security issue and ring people should take the responsibility if something happened to my property.

After reading other people’s post, black screen issue appears pandemic

FOR GOOD SAKE PLEASE DO SOMETHING

8 Likes

I am a security camera, smart home installer and business owner. I have been installing ring and nest for years now. The latest problems I’ve had with Ring is the last straw. I also am receiving the black screen when playing back video and have done ALL solutions. I also am unable to see live view as the ring app says my phone’s connection is weak. Seriously…I have full 4g LTE connection with speeds close to 50mbps. My phone and network is fine…YOUR RING NETWORK IS FAILING. PLEASE FIX IT. I will no longer be installing your products for my customers until these issues are fixed. Recognize the problem and fix it.

13 Likes

Wow way to blow smoke! I have this problem too, with the same router and doorbell device that have been functional for years. Only the doorbell has this issue other camera are fine. This issue is not solved, to mark it as such is a slap in the face of paying customers. If you do not interrupt the process with a failing live view it works correctly, but if you try to look at the event before it has uploaded to the cloud server, it becomes all black. This is a bug on your end, you need to admit it. Get it fixed or refund some of my money I paid for cloud service.

Sincerely,

Angry Customer.

13 Likes

Is anyone else still having this issue? I posted earlier and had planned to return my Video Doorbell 2 to Costco after COVID-19 settles - so it was installed outside but had been dead for weeks. I decided to charge it and for the last week and a half since then, it’s been flawless. Live View always loads and I don’t get that black recording. The router/internet has not changed so it must be something on Ring’s side. Either way, happy to have the doorbell working as it should be!

1 Like

Great news oahu_built!! My Ring II has been working like it should…YAY!! BUT I’m wondering if when I go back to work…will the black recordings re-appear?? While being at home (19 Mar 2020 to current 11 Apr 2020) my cell phone recordings have been bright and clear. I’m hoping Ring has corrected whatever issue they were having with the black recordings.

I have noticed there is a whole lot more going on at 2am then I ever imagined…

Stay safe…

My ring camera is also showing black screen video but then in daytime some appear and some are black I have reinstalled it checked the settings still an issue, cameras don’t appear to record much at night like they used too

5 Likes

Same issue for me. Black video on most recordings, but not all. Live video shows fine. All wifi signals are fine (-50). Checked both computer and phone with same result. Must be an issue on Rings side with so many recent, similar reports.

4 Likes

same issue on mine no support what so ever even after filling all items on the solutions for troubleshooting.

2 Likes

Hi there, sorry but this is not a solution. I think ring reps should be in politics as all solutions seem to avoid the issue and put blame back onto the customer. Internet connection etc. I cannot stress enough how robbed I feel after spending hundreds on this doorbell.
Everything worked perfectly during my 30 day free trial and almost bought additional cameras and alarms. I mean I couldn’t find a fault and all worked as advertised. How big a mistake it would have been to further invest in ring products.
As soon as I paid my years subscription the problems started instantly. Nothing else changed other than paying subscription.
Since then I have had the following problems:
*Black screen recordings
*Dead zones in snapshots and motion, eg it periodically picks up nothing for the same few hours each day
*People ringing the doorbell and leaving before the chime goes off minutes later
*Undetected motion, I can leave the house walk down the drive, get in my car and drive away - nothing detected (camera is there for this reason)
*Unable to rate the app when prompted because it says my text cannot contain personal information (it never did)
*Night vision is blinded by white walls and cannot turn night vision off, even though the picture is much clearer when can trick camera into thinking it is still daytime with a light in front of sensor.
*Security issues which I wasn’t made aware of by yourselves and was buried with the rollout of the new control center.
*No matter how I set things up my notifications come through to my phone to late to be able to act (might as well be a one way static camera)
*Greeted with reconnect message every single time I try and view live view (no I don’t want to “re” connect, as it never connected in the first place and as I pay for this feature it is totally unnaceptable.
*When you press reconnect it gets stuck loading and have to keep closing and opening app.
*Sometimes get a loop of the start/login page that basically takes over my phone and cannot be stopped without a hard reset.
*Battery life at best is now 16 days, at worst 8 days, again not yet a year old.
*Missed several deliveries as nothing happened whatsoever to let me know someone was there.
*Doorbell,phone and router can be all within feet of each other but bell itself sometimes won’t communicate.
*The app itself, why are you adding features that as far as I can see are fairly pointless and made things load slower constantly prompting to try the next useless feature but still cannot turn off night vision? Something I’ve seen requested a number of times. There is more but what is the point, nothing will be done. All I can say is I wish when I bought this doorbell I knew the above and could have made an informed decision on the purchase

6 Likes

100% wifi signal, was working flawlessly until I called to report that my low batery emails arent going to my email, NOW BLACK VIDEOS, CALLED SUPPORT TWICE, I HAVE NO ROUTER ISSUE, NO WIFI ISSUE, SAME ROUTER IT HAS BEEN RUNNING ON FOR A YEAR+ THIS IS POOR SERVICE

6 Likes

This thread should be required reading for anybody who works in consumer electronics. Never underestimate the value of good diagnostics and consumer-accessible error logging.

Just saying. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Installed my ring Yesterday afternoon.

Worked fine at first but now I have gotten 2 alternating motion detections with the black recordings

I wont be buying another RING product until they get this sorted out and improve their “it must be you” customer service.

1 Like

Update: RESOLVED by unplugging and rebooting my router.

Glad I found this thread. having issues replying to it this is a test