Ring doorbell showing black recording

I also have this issue since 2 weeks now. Live works, when you play the live recording it does work but when restarting the app or playing motion event. A black screen with the ring logo.

Seems like more and more people have this issue, maybe due to a new firmware version?

3 Likes

The 40 second duration black videos are back!

02/21/2020 at 8:29am EST there is a new black video in my recent activity.

The motion events at 8:15am and 8:45am are fine - 30 seconds of perfect full color video.

Ring network operations guys need to try harder to pin down this widespread intermittent problem.

2 Likes

I am also experiencing this issue. seems like a global issue server side related.

Had only seen very wide time gapped instances of this but now one out of six devices has started doing this on every single motion triggered. All others are working fine and dandy… even some that are only able to connect via mesh network to our lot next door! this malfunctioning unit is only maybe 10ft from an extremely powerful router. We have ours not only for security reasons but for liability as well in the event our property is defended via firearm. Hope they fix it as this was a huge investment and a bill we have to pay every month!

Hey neighbors. If you’re running into a concern with black videos, please read our Ring Help Center Article here to address this. Additionally, if there is still no resolution, please reach out to our support team here.

This post has been marked as a solution as it provides the appropriate next steps, so please share any feedback you get from our support team after reaching out to them or any tips and tricks for other neighbors experiencing this.

My Ring Doorbell Pro detects motion well and live view works well, but all recordings in the event history show a black screen. So if I try to go back and look at any event history, they are all black screens, but it i look at live view, I have a perfect view. My two Ring floodlight cameras are working fine. No issues. Just the Ring Doorbell Pro.

Experiencing the same issue - when Live View fails to load (closes by itself in about 10 seconds) I get a 40 second black recording. Ring Doorbell 2 showing -48 RSSI and no issues. Taking the battery out to soft reset hasn’t worked, I updated my Ring app… uninstalled, reinstalled. I also did a hard reset. Same issue. Oddly, I have two Floodlight Cams at another property that load every single time. Both properties have the SAME high end Orbi router setup with multiple satellite range extenders. I got this to replace a Blink XT (which by the way works at the corner of our property) and the Blink detects motion faster and more consistently, live view hasn’t failed me once in the last two years and it was far cheaper with free cloud storage. Don’t think I’ll be keeping this doorbell :frowning:

Who marked this issue solved?

It is NOT solved!

8 Likes

I am having the same issues as of yesterday. Black screen. When live I can see it and I can replay older videos. The software has to have a glitch in it. My router and everything else works fine. So frustrated.

2 Likes

I just installed my brand new Ring Peephole and I am having the same issue as everyone - live video doesn’t work (says “Activating Device” for a couple seconds before saying “Live View Ended”) and I only get black videos without audio. This black video happens when I try to use Live View, when someone rings the doorbell, or when motion is detected. I contacted customer support and the only answer I got was to replace my Ring. But if this is happening to everyone, what is the guarantee that this won’t happen to the new one? I’m very frustrated with this doorbell, I was excited to use it and now I don’t even get to test it out.

Chelsea - Community Manager…

Regarding the “fix” for the black recordings on the Ring Doorbell. I read the article and I must admit…I can’t speak for anyone else on this thread but I won’t be attempting this “fix”. I am not a Tech Expert and if this is what is expected of me as a consumer after buying what I thought was a reputable device…to correct a problem that several folks have also been complaining about…all I can say is “wow”.

4 Likes

Mine is doing the same thing. How did you resolve this issue?
Thanks

I’ve been having the same issue since 2/28/2020 9:50 PM

My network settings have not changed.

1 Like

Same problem here, for the last week. Live view works fine, as does voice communications, but all recorded videos show up as a black screen.

It seems like my black recordings run for a few days, then everything works for like it was intended to work. I live about 100 miles East of the Ring headquarters (Santa Monica CA)…so there isn’t a weather problem effecting my issue. There was a solution posted for this issue…which in my mind you have to be an IT person to understand…but doesn’t answer the problem as to why the videos are visable one day and not the next… and folks all over the country are experiencing the same thing…

1 Like

You got to be kidding. This router reconfiguration is not even possible when the router is owned by AT&T. Even if it was possible, its nothing a common user could do. The problem started several days ago with no chnage on my side.

This is not fixed!!!

2 Likes

Mine started doing this today after about 2 PM. Live view works fine, event history videos are not. I have a symmetric 1Gb upload and download speed and the ring has good connection. Not sure what the deal is.

Im glad I’m not the only one having this issue. Started a couple weeks ago with my Doorbell 2. 1 year Warranty is up next week for me. Hopefully this issue that is so called “Solved” gets another look by developers.:cry:

1 Like

Hey neighbors! I can understand your frustrations with a concern like this as I would also be worried if I was running into black videos on valuable footage that I needed available.

The post that has been previously marked as a solution does recommend you check out our Ring Help Center Article here to address this. I know that this article can be a bit in-depth and may not be possible to review and try many of the recommendations in this thread. If you feel you need assistance guiding through this information in here, please reach out to our support team here. They can help explain this for you, run through the troubleshooting steps, and help isolate your concerns.

We have a great staff of experts that are available via phone or chat here. Additionally, we also have advanced levels of support if our first line of experts are unable to isolate this. They can help give you step by steps instructions to get it back up and running, walk you through what any router settings you may need to make will look like, and also help direct you on what to bring up to your ISP if needed.

Neighbors in the Community, if you find any helpful tips and tricks you have done yourself to resolve this, please share. For any neighbors still unable to get this fixed, I strongly encourage spending time with our support team. This is a neighbor to neighbor forum and not a direct line to support. It’s best to have our support team look at your personal account and devices to give you the proper resolution, as the steps needed to be taken may differ from neighbor to neighbor. :slight_smile:

I am updating and accepting this post as the new solution. This is a helpful way for other neighbors that come into this thread to try these recommended troubleshooting steps. If these troubleshooting steps do not work, it is encouraged to reach out to support here. If you have found any solutions that have worked for you, please share in depth information and examples as to what you’ve done to help assist other neighbors in this forum or finding it for the first time. Thank you.

Hi,

I started having the same Black Video Recording problem on both of my Floodlight Cams together since 4-Mar-2020.

Initially i suspected something wrong with my connection and worked with my ISP for a few days, till i was 100% sure that my connection was good. I am getting better uploads/downloads then what i was getting previously.

Next i tried reseting and reconfiguring both the Floodlight Cams… both have been reconfigured, but the problem still persists…

I get notified everytime a motion is detected but when i open the video… its black…

I contacted Ring support today, and the expert support sent me the basic step by step reset guide … something i told them i had already done…

No further support was provided… and i was advised to try the same again… and let them know if the problem still persists :frowning:

Now that i have seen at the forum that this problem is widespread, im sure there is something wrong at Ring side and not with the connectivity… but am disappointed with the level of support provided…

18 Likes