Ring doorbell showing black recording

Another follow up on my black recordings on my Ring Pro II doorbell…my security provider came and checked the doorbell…he took the battery out and re-installed it…versus a hard re-set, where you have to basically re-do the whole installation (software) all over again… He said that he has had a few customers say the same thing about black recordings…It is a Ring issue… Thanks for all of the feedback…hopefully Ring corrects this issue…

1 Like

Another follow-up from 11-15-2019…Ring II doorbell was working fine for a couple of days…after the battery was removed/re-installed. NOW I am not getting any notifications of an actual doorbell ring. I tested my doorbell 5 times today, after watching someone ring the doorbell. I had my phone in my hand, and was 3 feet from my door/modem. Nothing…not even a motion detection was recorded. Weather was clear and sunny…

At this point in time…I wouldn’t recommend a RING doorbell to anyone…

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this @Indygirl! It sounds like you are experiencing a few more symptoms than what would be related to just a blank recording concern. With these additional concerns surfacing, and events not capturing at all, I recommend reaching out to our support team, at 800-656-1918, for more in-depth troubleshooting.

I am getting exactly the same problem (it was all working for several months without a problem then 26 Dec at 1:21pm it all went wrong) - but - I noticed today, when I reset the Ring Pro (after being a support call for 20+ mins and sent an emai about opening ports) - it starts playing back properly for about 30 seconds and then when you go back its all black again! It is like Ring are corrupting the video playbacks.

the KOZ…I know how frustrating it is to expect a product to work (especailly when it’s a safety thing). For some unknown reason my Ring II doorbell has been working for the past few weeks!! I did nothing special…I have shut down and restarted my modem/router…which has nothing to do with my black screens. I never called the Ring help desk…from reading all of the comments about sitting on the phone with no resolution…I didn’t want to waste the time. I’m not sure what the other folks that are on this thread have experienced…but my Ring II is working correctly…today. The weather has been in the 20’s at night and the 40’s during the day…

They might have fixed something in the software. I stopped seeing the problem, but I also installed a second router 10’ from the doorbell (RSSI was -58, now -34), so that might have helped too.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue… 40 second black videos. It’s been going on for a while now and I’m finally fed up. I’ll even get rings that I cant answer, so I know the doorbell is connected to the router. Connection is good, router is only 9ft away from my front door, device tests fine, RSSI is -50, firmare up to date, and system staus is all operational… Cancelled my subscription today, and got my refund processed. Can’t see paying for something that doesn’t work… Guess I’ll try the Nest, or the August and see how they work.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue with 1 of my 2 Ring spotlight cams. I haven’t had a motion record an actual video in 3 days. I have over 20 motion alerts with 40 seconds of black “recording”, but yet during that same period of time I have not had a single issue with the other camera which is farther away from the router. When I try to connect to view the live camera feed it tries to load for several minutes before timing out with an error message. I have tried replacing the batteries in order to trigger a system reset twice and it still has not worked. Has anyone had any success resolving this besides through buying a new device?

1 Like

Same problem just started happening with mine, and playback from all my cameras is affected.

Live view works fine. They’ve been promoting us to use new video features lately. I wonder if they’ve messed up their encoding and video playback.

Better fix it fast, or I’m throwing it out. I need a reliable system. This is useless if it’s not providing basic functionality,

1 Like

This has been happening to mine for a couple weeks now. Worked flawlessly until this point. All videos saved to cloud are black. Still not fixed.

Hey neighbors! If you’ve tried what has been recommended in the thread and you are still experiencing this concern with black videos, it would be best to reach out to our support team here. They can do in-depth troubleshooting with your device(s) that may be experiencing this to help you rest easy. Feel free to update this thread with what support was able to do for you to fix this, as it may help other neighbors!

I also have this issue since 2 weeks now. Live works, when you play the live recording it does work but when restarting the app or playing motion event. A black screen with the ring logo.

Seems like more and more people have this issue, maybe due to a new firmware version?

3 Likes

The 40 second duration black videos are back!

02/21/2020 at 8:29am EST there is a new black video in my recent activity.

The motion events at 8:15am and 8:45am are fine - 30 seconds of perfect full color video.

Ring network operations guys need to try harder to pin down this widespread intermittent problem.

2 Likes

I am also experiencing this issue. seems like a global issue server side related.

Had only seen very wide time gapped instances of this but now one out of six devices has started doing this on every single motion triggered. All others are working fine and dandy… even some that are only able to connect via mesh network to our lot next door! this malfunctioning unit is only maybe 10ft from an extremely powerful router. We have ours not only for security reasons but for liability as well in the event our property is defended via firearm. Hope they fix it as this was a huge investment and a bill we have to pay every month!

Hey neighbors. If you’re running into a concern with black videos, please read our Ring Help Center Article here to address this. Additionally, if there is still no resolution, please reach out to our support team here.

This post has been marked as a solution as it provides the appropriate next steps, so please share any feedback you get from our support team after reaching out to them or any tips and tricks for other neighbors experiencing this.

My Ring Doorbell Pro detects motion well and live view works well, but all recordings in the event history show a black screen. So if I try to go back and look at any event history, they are all black screens, but it i look at live view, I have a perfect view. My two Ring floodlight cameras are working fine. No issues. Just the Ring Doorbell Pro.

Experiencing the same issue - when Live View fails to load (closes by itself in about 10 seconds) I get a 40 second black recording. Ring Doorbell 2 showing -48 RSSI and no issues. Taking the battery out to soft reset hasn’t worked, I updated my Ring app… uninstalled, reinstalled. I also did a hard reset. Same issue. Oddly, I have two Floodlight Cams at another property that load every single time. Both properties have the SAME high end Orbi router setup with multiple satellite range extenders. I got this to replace a Blink XT (which by the way works at the corner of our property) and the Blink detects motion faster and more consistently, live view hasn’t failed me once in the last two years and it was far cheaper with free cloud storage. Don’t think I’ll be keeping this doorbell :frowning:

Who marked this issue solved?

It is NOT solved!

8 Likes

I am having the same issues as of yesterday. Black screen. When live I can see it and I can replay older videos. The software has to have a glitch in it. My router and everything else works fine. So frustrated.

2 Likes