Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring doorbell not charging

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Ring doorbell not charging

Have the same issue with the Ring VD2 and Ring branded AC plug. It shows hardwired but drains ~2%/day. Tweaked all the settings to be extra frugal. Before the hardwire it drained ~6%/day.

Ring is sending a replacement VD2, I’ll report back the result.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I called in about this issue this week and support confirmed to me this week that this is a firmware problem. No ETA on a fix.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

UPDATE to 06/30 Post
I received the replacement VD2 three days ago, and connected it to the Ring AC adapter. It started with 94% battery and charged up to 100% by the evening. It has remained at 100% since.

Settings are: standard frequency of motion detection, motion verification, Live view and HDR

If it starts to lose battery percentage I’ll report back, but for me problem is solved.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Not charging

After reading posts from "djbilo", I decided to open up the Ring Video 2 and see what was going on inside.  I too have had this unit work flawlessly for two years and then at the begining of COVID-19, the battery would drain to zero, no longer showed hardwired, and the white ring no longer was lit, and the mechanical chime indoors did not sound.

I tested the wiring and had plenty of voltage.  Decided to replace the transformer with a new 24V, 40mA unit.  Same issues.

I was able to use a small bit #0 (smallest I had) and removed the ten screws.  I believe the size may be #00 or #000.  I opened the back cover as djbilo described.  The screw contacts were intact and I noticed that when the cover is replaced, the back of the screw terminals rest on two gold color spring loaded pins.  One of my pins had spring tension and the other did not thus a failed connection.  

I did not want to start removing the circuit boards  so here is what I did.  I placed a large drop of solder on the back of each screw terminal creating extra height with a dome shape appearance.  I reattached and assembled the unit.

I now show system hardwired on the Ring app on my phone.  The white ring is lit up and the mechanical chime works everytime that I press the doorbell button.  I do not believe that this is a firmware issue like I have read from many of your posts.  The underlying issue is the low voltage wiring connection to the Ring units.  By the way, since I do have a mechanical chime I never installed a resister.  I hope that this helps.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Not charging

Happy to hear someone else saw the same thing with the physical contacts.

The only reason I didn't do the drop of solder was because I was able to pull the one pin up enough that it maintained contact. It is still maintaining contact and charging, plus ringing the mechanical chime and lighting up the Ring with white LEDs.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

SOLVED!!!!! I’ve been working on this for weeks. Got my unit fixed by following other ideas (all of them) and then setting the screws different and It worked for one day. After much cursing and receiving the message that my unit had 2% battery when it’s freakin’ hardwired, I finally gave up and just let it run out of battery. I had read that someone got the firmware updated by doing that. Well, it must have worked. After it ran out of juice, bingo! It reset and is now trickle-charging just fine. It actually went from very poor to OK on the battery. First time I’ve seen it say OK since I bought it. It’s been working for over a week and a half - zero issues. If you haven’t tried this yet, consider it. Just let it completely run out of battery and see if it updates the firmware and fixes itself.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I opened my ring as Lou65 said and yes, that was the problem. Everything is fixed now.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

After not getting a firmware update as promise.  Ring finally sent out a new one under warrenty.  Hardwire charging worked straight away.  So if it was firmware... they must have changed hardware in the doorbell between the one I bought in Nov and the replacement I recieved in July

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I'm having the same issue. This is not solved.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I tried this & it did not fix the problem for me. I've also tried resetting it. I have no idea what's up. It worked until I took it off to add an angle wedge thing.