Ring doorbell not charging

Seriously Ring. Please look into this issue and fix it. It HAS to be related to a firmware update.

Many here have identified the same issue, worked fine for months or years…few months back…nothing but issues.

Please make this right. I’ve been a supporter of your products and have many, but I’m forced to look at alternatives and it’s a shame.

I also have this same problem which I only recently noticed. Nothing wrong with my hard wiring but battery just draining even though the system states it’s hard wired!

1 Like

Me too, recently upgraded from an original Ring Doorbell to the new 3 plus.

battery not charging in spite of being hardwired and system reporting hardwired.

had Zero problems with the original ring doorbell.

So what can we do ? Is there a technical support ticket system? I don’t a full reset and it’s still not resolved it

Everyone. To my amazement and surprise, I called Ring support and spoke with a very nice rep.

Within 10 min he helped me confirm my doorbell had taken a bad firmware update and that was the cause. With no way to roll back, he offered to send me a replacement OUT OF WARRANTY.

I am very pleased they stood behind their product. Very quick and efficient.

Good luck! I’d say they might get a tidal wave of calls, so hurry before they change their mind!

How crazy is that ? A update that can’t be patched ? Thing is I have friends who have same device who haven’t had this problem so no idea how only some people are affected. Maybe they knew and pulled the firmware quickly…no idea how much of an issue this will be…

Okay, I have the Ring 2 from Costco, about 2 years old. The fix: has been said here before, but I just now completed this, and am now showing as “Hardwired”, where it was “Battery”. As such, this should work.

Remove Ring 2 from where it is installed. On the back of the unit, you will see 10 small screws, I’m talking small, took 6 or 7 phillips screwdrivers to find one small enough to fit. Remove all 10 screws, and remove the rear faceplate. On the inside of the rear faceplate, you will find two (2) gold coloured contacts. These make contact with two small pins, which are spring loaded. Place a small dab of solder on the end of eack gold coloured contacts. Fit the unit back together, it should fit easily. If there is major resistance, you may need to adjust the solder dab so that it will fit back into the right place without much effort. Reassemble the unit, insert battery, and you should see “Hardwired” after the unit fires up. Turns out NOT to be a hardware fix that is required, but a new unit or the above repair are all that seem to work.

Hope this is helpful to all, I like Ring, but like others are annoyed that Ring seems to not want to address the poor quality control issues.

1 Like

My issue is resolved…it turns out the full factory reset resolved this. Called ring and they are aware of it. The reset should do the trick at all times, no need for a new device

This is exactly what’s happening to me. 6 months connected to mains no problem. All of a sudden, app showing no mains connection and running off battery, I’ve had to take the bell off and charge it. The wires are still live and connected to the backplate but I attach the bell and not recognising mains connection and still showing as battery on app. I’ve had enough of both of my ring products, my chime pro stopped working about a month ago too. This seems to be a common problem with the doorbell. How can it be connected one day and not the next? It’s ridiculous. My backplate wires are 100% connected to the mains and working!

1 Like

Exactly my problem. Hardwired doorbell suddenly not connected to the main and a few weeks earlier the chimepro stopped working. Not happy and it seems Ring don’t care

1 Like

It’s not because of cold weather, I’m on England and it’s been 80 degrees here the last few days. All of a sudden my hardwired doorbell which has been fine for 6 months is showing as not hardwired on the app and keeps going flat! I’ve removed the bell and as I screwed and unscrewed the gold screws on the backplate, it was clearly connected to the mains and my bell box inside kept ringing. Put the bell on the plate and no light as usual on the round button when it’s connected to mains and press the button and only the unit rings, not my bell box inside. How can it work one day but not the next when it’s clearly connected to the mains?? I am not happy! My chimepro stopped working about a month earlier too. I’m above ditch all my ring products. All these people complaining and all the explanation is ‘it’s cold’ - that’s obviously not it!

1 Like

Thank you @Eljay, for reaching out to our support team, and for updating us with your results.

When it comes to battery power there are many variables that should be considered, and sometimes our support team can provide further insight into these concerns.

As mentioned prior in this thread, our Community post about battery drain covers various steps on improving battery life. Factors such as number of events, wifi signal strength, temperature, and other usage variables can certainly drain the battery.

Keep in mind, our devices should not be taken apart or altered in any way that is not intended. This can void warranty as well as impact intended operation of the device. It would be best to reach out to our support team if the above steps did not help to resolve your charging concerns. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

@GMSmigth Found your answer after I did exactly the same (see https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Video-Doorbell-not-charging-and-bell-not-ringing/td-p/57141) and could not believe that this is a first time thing.

So putting a little bit of solder on the copper/cold plated screw containers really worked out for me.

Thank-you for the replies. Researching the problems more widely, it became obvious that these are well known to Ring, which is doing nothing to resolve them. Ours was bought from Amazon, which owns Ring. Amazon normally has a limited number of reasons for which items can be returned. However, the pick list in connection with Ring items is quite a lot longer, suggesting that both Ring and Amazon know that the product is fundamentally faulty and non-compliant with the sales material. We got a refund without any difficulty. Everyone experiencing the problems described should do the same. Ring might then be forced into actually fixing the issues with their product.

Hi All
I’ve been plagued by this. I took the back of the ring and noted that the power contacts on the camera side were two small spring mounted pins. One of these pins was depressed so the spring must have gone. I pushed in some tinfoil and when I screwed on the back (with copper contacts) it all works and now charging fine.

I have a specific ring doorbell adaptor from Amazon as the hard wiring that Ring suggested did not work, the specific ring doorbell adaptor is sending power to the ring backplate but the ring health still indicates battery power, surely it should be charging the ring doorbell from the mains?

1 Like

Have been trying to hardwire my Ring Doorbell for over a year nothing appears to work may move to another company as this doing my head in I spend a lot of time out of the country so I need to have peace of mind which ring at the moment does not provide.

Thanks to djbilo and others on here.

My faulty hardwiring was down to the internal pins not making contact. One of mine had collapsed completely. I tried a dab of solder on the brass coloured wide pins but I couldn’t get enough on there to make contact on one of the pins, my soldering is mediocre at best… In the end I took a tiny piece of kitchen foil, screwed it up into a ball and jammed it on the collapsed pin. Along with the solder this seems to have done the job!

My issue comes from the fact the doorbell is only two and a half years old. Those pins have never been disturbed before this yet they still failed… For something marketed as a premium product that’s fairly rubbish!

2 Likes

My Ring 2 which has not charged on its own since about June has suddenly recognized that it is hard wired and charged back to 100%. I did absolutely nothing to resolve this.

I am hopeful that perhaps Ring has finally fixed whatever it was that they did that broke it in the first place as I don’t think it was ever a hardware issue.

If yours just started charging you’re pretty lucky. Mine hasn’t yet, so it’s been running off the battery for a surprisingly long time. I think it was towards the end of august that I charged it. That makes me think that it’s getting somewhat of a charge, because I would’ve thought that it would’ve died sooner that that. As it is it still has 25% battery. Says the firmware is up to date, too. I think I’m going to have to open a case with ring.