Ring doorbell not charging

After reading posts from “djbilo”, I decided to open up the Ring Video 2 and see what was going on inside. I too have had this unit work flawlessly for two years and then at the begining of COVID-19, the battery would drain to zero, no longer showed hardwired, and the white ring no longer was lit, and the mechanical chime indoors did not sound.

I tested the wiring and had plenty of voltage. Decided to replace the transformer with a new 24V, 40mA unit. Same issues.

I was able to use a small bit #0 (smallest I had) and removed the ten screws. I believe the size may be #00 or #000. I opened the back cover as djbilo described. The screw contacts were intact and I noticed that when the cover is replaced, the back of the screw terminals rest on two gold color spring loaded pins. One of my pins had spring tension and the other did not thus a failed connection.

I did not want to start removing the circuit boards so here is what I did. I placed a large drop of solder on the back of each screw terminal creating extra height with a dome shape appearance. I reattached and assembled the unit.

I now show system hardwired on the Ring app on my phone. The white ring is lit up and the mechanical chime works everytime that I press the doorbell button. I do not believe that this is a firmware issue like I have read from many of your posts. The underlying issue is the low voltage wiring connection to the Ring units. By the way, since I do have a mechanical chime I never installed a resister. I hope that this helps.

2 Likes