Ring doorbell not charging

Interesting that the Ring rep mentioned the solar panel even though it has nothing to do with this topic. Almost like the most recent firmware updates caused this charging issue and they’re trying to force people to buy the solar panel.

Ring1: All I could find about powering externally says use an AC adapter (12 to 24V) and put a 25ohm, 50W resistor in series with the left hand terminal on the doorbell mount. So I bought an adapter (cost) and a resistior (cost) and it did not work. As an ELecEng guy I thought this is likley a DC product so installed the diode (as per the (minimal) installation manaual, with negative on Left hand terminal of doorbell mount. This sort of worked giving a 7v DC level at the right hand terminal but was slow charging and the resistor ran hot - as you might expect. Why go to all this trouble? If it is a DC product just connect a 12v DC adapter direct to the two terminals on the doorbell mount with + on the right and - on the left (as you look at it). Works a treat. charges great and the transformer/adapter runs cold.

Tightening of the screw is not a solution. There are a lot of users till with the same issues not charging issue. Most probably due to the firmware update. I was working fine before the update and all my wires are soldered at the resistor. One member suggested using a DC adapter may void the warranty as this was not recommended by Ring.

Brand new Ring and same issue. Doorbell shows hardwired and I tested my voltage and I have 20v and yet my battery is 17% and not going up.

Edit:

Battery going down…not charging.

Hey, let’s all tag #Ring on social media to see if they will at least explain this dilemma. Our Ring doorbell worked fine for a few years, then for the last few weeks or more, the charge lasts about 2 days and is completely out. Don’t ask me electrical questions because volts, amps and watts put me instantly to sleep (ask husband, it’s how he treats my insomnia). WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? Please help me?

2 Likes

This is an ac unit. No diode needed.

You MUST change wire configuration to use resistor.

Many times your tranformer wires and doorbell wires are connected in the doorbell.

If wires are there…connect white to white and red to red putting resistor in series.

the reason am here is because of the same issue hardwired not charging battery, i have the lastest firmware update and all the options on in my RD2. i have had to take out the battery today to charge it . i cant be doing this , the whole essence of hardwire is to avoid reptitive manual recharge. what is ring doing to fix this. there is no credible solution anywhere here or online

2 Likes

I see they added a solar option. They know what they are doing. They disabled the hardwired charging to get more sales of their solar panels

Are you sure they disabled hard charging? Do you have a source for that info?

I remember when mine was not charging, it was listed in the ring app as a solar charger. When this eventually fixed itself, it was no longer listed as such.

'Perhaps that’s the root cause, a firmware push erroneously identified the hard wired doorbell as being a solar charger and no longer charged from the wire.

All true.

I have a new doorbell 3 had it hardwired from 1st week and shows as hardwired in the settings yet the battery just drains away, voltage checked on the terminals is fine 24-25v ac, I am looking for a fix but it would appear there isn’t one? Not called Ring yet (doorbell is 1 month old) frustrated that it’s not doing what it should.

That’s not even an answer, just a unhelpful statement

This post does nothing to answer the question of why a doorbell that is hardwired Isn’t charging.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree this is a firmware issue. Why would a battery that was at 100% all of the time suddenly need to be charged every 2 weeks. Looks like Bezos is trying to up the sales of solar chargers, as so conveniently advertised right underneath my power percentage now.

1 Like

Same exact problem just found out today when my ring doorbell was completely discharged. Doorbell transformer doorbell work fine.

Had the same problem. Hardwire kit. Connections fine, AC voltage fine and now the ring door bell 2 doen’t aknowledge it’s hardwired. Got to be firmware

1 Like

Same here. No issues in almost 2 years, all of a sudden battery drain is excessive. Will be interested to see what the next non answer is on this from Ring.

1 Like

Same here had for 3 years no issues and after the 1st of the year have had to take off and charge even though the app reflects hardwired.

I’ve disabled everything on the doorbell, still will not charge while hardwired. I find it hard to believe this isn’t a firmware issue.

I experienced also a low battery problem after a few months of use. The device is connected to a 14V AC transformer but the Device Health page showed for Power Source: Battery and Battery Level 0%. I found the reason, being one of the 5 connector pins to the battery itself being stuck with the consequence of NOT making contact to the contact field of the battery. By applying a rubber stop in the ring house I prevent now that bad contact pin to be pushed to the level that it stucks again. It worked for me.

1 Like