Ring doorbell not charging

I too am having this problem, can I ask have any of you installed a resistor, 25 ohm 50 watt wirewound resistor is needed I think. But I have not tryed this yet

1 Like

Hi JGDME,

I’d like to clearly understand what you’re saying:

At what point are you holding the voltmeter leads which are measuring the voltage that drops to 1.5 volts? The transformer output terminals? Or elsewhere? If so, it sounds like whatever gets connected to them when you “mount the doorbell” is loading the transformer voltage down. That shouldn’t be.

Just purchased a new unit and Mine is not charging either… this is frustrating…

1 Like

I wish I was in your position because I would take my unit back immediately and go with a different product.

Unfortunately I purchased the entire alarm system with Ring and wanted integration of everything. I guess I can live with charging the battery for now… until they have a fix.

JGDME: I’d like for you to tell me exactly where you were measuring the 1.5 volts

chicagoed

NOT SOLVED! - Im replying the same to each thread since Ring is not doing anything to the problem.

I just bought Video Doorbell 3 and it’s hardwired. App says it is hardwired and also says solar charger is connected (I dont have a solar charger, just hardwired). Everything seems good and battery icon is green with lightning on it and you would think it is charging. But battery power level never goes up, it just goes down every day 1-2%. The package says on front: battery or hardwired power. So where is my hardwired power? Feels like a fraud to me and total waste of money. Charging almost monthly is not an option. Where is customer support? Seems like the issue has been on for 6 months. C’mon!

Should the device charge with 12V and 1A current? It doesnt say anywhere how many watts does the doorbell use when on “standby”.

4 Likes

That’s the exact problem I’m having. It says it’s charging but truly isn’t.

1 Like

Definitely NOT a temperature issue. I’m in Southern California and today the weather is 75 degree. It worked fine for last 2-3 years. I’ve reinstalled the app and it showed as hardwired then a few minutes later after changing the mode from Away to Home, power source changed back to battery. Changing back to Away mode made no difference. I’ve done a hard reset the Ring Video doorbell (Gen1) to no avail. This newer version of the app and/or firmware may be the cause of this problem. My Ring is also having problem ring the doorbell randomly.

1 Like

Trust me, it’s not a cold weather issue. I’m SoCal, never go below 40*F and it’s 75*F outside today and still having issue. It’s got to be the firmware they release recently. Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order before Ring will take notice.

It’s not the weather. I live in Southern California and the weather is 75*F. Same problem.

It’s not the weather. I live in Southern California with 75*F and having the same charging problem even though it’s hardwired. It charges fine using the USB cable. In fact, it doesn’t even say the power source is hardwired anymore. It worked fine for the last 2+ years until a few weeks ago. Ring needs to get their act together.

I still have the same problem with doorbell not charging. When can I expect a new firmware that fixes the problem? Or old firmware!

4 Likes

Same here. Doorbell 2 hardwired and not charging. Had the Doorbell for months and it stated to do this in March.

2 Likes

Neighbors - the solar panel needs a minimum of 4-6 hours of DIRECT sunlight. Feel free to provide photos of your set up and we can assist with each case to ensure this is the proper amount of sun. If you feel you are receiving 4-6 hours of direct sunlight, please check the connections on the back of the device and power cycle the device. Thanks.

Thanks but we’re not talking about the solar charger. Everyone having problems is hard wired.

Mine is fine now and has been for awhile. It magically “fixed” itself. But when it wasn’t working, the Ring app was identifying it as a solar charger. It’s no longer identified as such. So maybe that’s a clue.

1 Like

I am having the same issue on a new Ring 3 I installed on May 12.

Charging indicator is on the battery icon for the device
Power Source: Hardwired

Nothing in the Android app related to solar charging

iOS app had an update. I don’t know if firmware updates automatically, but NOW IT CHARGES!!! 99% battery. Thank you!

Made some changes in zones, sensitivity, and enabled people monitoring. The battery has charged to 100% over the last two days.

I must admit I find the some of the Ring responses here pretty funny.

You have to disable features in order to to keep the device charged up, I could understand this if it was just on battery but for the last 6-9 months mine has been hardwired. I had to buy a new battery so that I could swap them regulary despite being hooked up to mains charging.

Whenever anybody asks me about ‘smart’ doorbells I point them to this 30 page thread.

I get maybe 2-3 door motion detections a day, maybe door bell presses 2 times a week, if that. Rain or shine the battery is dead in a month, I’ve even started recording the charging dates on the battery box, 17/3/20, 19/4/20, 17/5/20, its not cold in the UK, in fact the weather has been fantastic for months.

Smart doorbells are anything but smart. I’m when mine finally dies I’ll go back to a non smart doorbell and lead a non frustrating life again.

2 Likes