Ring doorbell not charging

@wpgcan wrote:
Why is this thread marked as solved?! The washers do nothing but fix a crappy connection if you haven’t made a proper one to begin with. Been there, tried that, didn’t fix it.

The warmer weather now is what might me causing your ring to charge, rest assured once it dips low enough to put socks on, it’ll stop charging again.

Please do not mark this thread as solved!!

I don’t know why it’s marked as solved either! The washers don’t fix the initial problem. The “washer trick” is for a completely different issue that really shouldn’t have been in this thread to begin with. The washers solve a poor power connection, but most people in here aren’t having a poor power connection, they are having an unexplained power drain! A drain that started *AFTER* the firmware update that included Person Detection.

Seriously, whoever marked this a Solved needs to change it. It’s not. Ring hasn’t even acknowledged the problem.

23 Likes

Li ion can be fast charged from 5°C to 45°C (41 to 113°F). Below 5°C, the charge current should be reduced, and no charging is permitted at freezing temperatures because of the reduced diffusion rates on the anode. … Charging is indeed possible with most lithium-ion cells but only at very low currents.

So your right it will stop . The problem is that the unit runs off the battery and not the power supplied. The charging CCT only kicks in in warm weather… definitely a firmware issue
They need to fix this

3 Likes

Ok I just cancelled my subscription. I’m done with Ring’s BS. I’m running Wyze cameras outside for alerts and person detection anyways and they don’t have a subscription.

If anything this should be marked as the solution. Solution: Cancel your subscription.

3 Likes

Completely agree, I have the exact same problem. The electronics in this doorbell are complete junk. If I new this before buying I would never of even considered this doorbell. With winter lasting 5-6 months this thing is completely useless, dead battery and disconnected from wifi. JUNK.

1 Like

Same problem. Hardwired and stopped charging just recently. Worked fine for a year. Something changed.

4 Likes

Hi bigvic 33,

Every day I read posts about people having problems either with charging, or inability to sound their indoor chime from the Ring Doorbell. Why not try what solved those two problems that I was also having? The WASHERS.

@ChicagoEd wrote:

Hi bigvic 33,

Every day I read posts about people having problems either with charging, or inability to sound their indoor chime from the Ring Doorbell. Why not try what solved those two problems that I was also having? The WASHERS.

Depends on what bigvic means by “stopped charging just recently”. Does he mean it’s not showing it’s connected (so perhaps the washers will help make a better connection) or does he mean “it’s no longer keeping it charged/discharging”, which is what most people are experiencing, to which the washers won’t do anything at all.

Washers don’t fix the discharge, only a poor connection.

ChicagoEd, you’re kidding me right? The washers do absolutely nothing. You can solder wires directly to the device but it won’t change how it’s programmed to charge.

Because this is NOT the solution even though Ring chose to mark this as solved, I started a new thread, https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Ring-doorbell-not-charging-NOT-SOLVED/m-p/24851

Same problem here I called them and they’re sending me another battery that will not fix my problem

Did they resolve your issue??? They’re sending me another battery that will not fix the charging the battery issue

1 Like

No this problem is still unresolved as Ring still does not acknowledge any problem with their software. No amount of troubleshooting will resolve this as it is a SOFTWARE ISSUE. Ring, stop getting people to troubleshoot when we are ALL HAVING THE EXACT SAME ISSUE WHEN YOUR NEW FIRMWARE WAS RELEASED.

I highly advise you to return your doorbell and go with another company other than Ring if you are still within your return window.

2 Likes

If I attach the RING doorbell cam to an existing hardwired process, will the 16 volt supply keep the battery charged sufficiently. I live in Florida…Cold weather is not a problem.

Thank you.

I doubt it as this is the problem we are all having including me and I live in South Central Florida.

1 Like

No. We are all hardwired and having the issue. I even bumped up the voltage and amperage to the doorbell and bought a larger transformer, still doesn’t charge.

The problem is that the hardwire does not power the doorbell, it just trickle charges the battery inside it. The doorbell is 100% powered by the battery only, this is what they don’t tell you and where it is mis-advertised.

3 Likes

I’m a new Ring Video Doorbell user and thought the until was great until I noticed that the battery charge was shocking and that the exisiting camera doorbell transformer I have 9W doesn’t charge. I was about to go back to Amazon and look at another transformer but noticed that this is a known / existing issue and only seemed to start happening since January after a firmware update… It doesn’t look like a co-incidence to me that something has gone amiss here. I note in the thread “Solved” … since when is modifying a product with a foreign object i.e. washer a fix that the vendor would endorse?? Would you drive your car and place a washer in the steering column to stop it going to the right as a fix?? Also I did try this myself but made no difference. As an IT Professional I would expect the hardware vendor to actual admit the issue and then look to make it right … If not I guess this thread can ridicule Ring and hopefully shame them into doing the RIGHT thing.

1 Like

Same problem as everyone else. Doorbell not charging well the last few weeks, so I replaced transformer. Confirmed that I was getting at least 16 volts at the connection screws with a meter. The app shows that it’s charging, but the batt level just slowly goes down. Frustrated!

1 Like

My Ring Doorbell 2 has also stopped charging from being hardwired. It has worked for 6-9 months, and just randomly stopped. I have checked the connections 3 times and they are fine.

Can we please change this to unsolved? Can we please get a fix? I charge enough things in my life. I absolutely do not want to add a doorbell to that list.

This problem is NOT solved! Ring sent me a new wall plate and once again I installed it exactly as instructed and still no hard wired indicated. Class action lawsuit?

2 Likes

I can confirm that this problem is not cold related. I live in Queensland Australia and it is definitely not cold here. Problem is more wide spread that the USA and cold winters.

1 Like