Ring doorbell not charging

Dang sounds like it is a firmware issue for sure.

Thanks for the info on the other brand.

Ring come on…no word on other problems with this besides the weather??

2 Likes

All I did was to loosen each of the two screws fastening the two wires from the home wiring to the RING doorbell baseplate, and put a small washer between the wire loop and the brass terminal that the screw fastens to, and retighten. Do this for both of the screws.

That was it. I didn’t invent this, just took advice from a post by bobbetts

8 Likes

It’s too coincidental
New features released - assume with new firmware. Now multiple reports of Hardwired charging not working - mine is at 9% hardwired and for the last 9 months had been 85-100% every time I checked.

I wish tech companies would just fess up and fix instead of putting their customers on the run around trying to fix something they are not ever going to fix.

15 Likes

I am having the same issue. Hardwired, getting good voltage, good connection and now its showing that the battery is discharging. Last time I reset my Ring and the power jumped from 90% to 100% when I checked the health…so I am wondering if it’s just reading the battery wrong.

Regardlesss, I don’t want to do a hard reset on this every couple of weeks…Is there a fix for this?

3 Likes

It’s not reading the battery wrong. When you hit 0 the camera will die and you’ll have to manually charge the battery.

The “fix” for some of us was they pushed different firmware and the problem went away.

Okay sounds good I’m going to do just exactly what you said except mine is charging in the house on the orange cable to 100% it takes about so far 4 weeks to get down to 60% also mine is hardwired and it shows battery every time I take the camera down and put it back up it doesn’t say hardwired so that sounds good I’m going to put those little washers in and see if that’ll work for me as I hate to be gone or something and up camera go dead completely thanks for the info stay home and stay safe.

My battery went down to 88% and has now gone up to 91% and staying there so I’ll take that as a good sign.

Why is this thread marked as solved?! The washers do nothing but fix a crappy connection if you haven’t made a proper one to begin with. Been there, tried that, didn’t fix it.

The warmer weather now is what might me causing your ring to charge, rest assured once it dips low enough to put socks on, it’ll stop charging again.

Please do not mark this thread as solved!!

7 Likes

@wpgcan wrote:
Why is this thread marked as solved?! The washers do nothing but fix a crappy connection if you haven’t made a proper one to begin with. Been there, tried that, didn’t fix it.

The warmer weather now is what might me causing your ring to charge, rest assured once it dips low enough to put socks on, it’ll stop charging again.

Please do not mark this thread as solved!!

I don’t know why it’s marked as solved either! The washers don’t fix the initial problem. The “washer trick” is for a completely different issue that really shouldn’t have been in this thread to begin with. The washers solve a poor power connection, but most people in here aren’t having a poor power connection, they are having an unexplained power drain! A drain that started *AFTER* the firmware update that included Person Detection.

Seriously, whoever marked this a Solved needs to change it. It’s not. Ring hasn’t even acknowledged the problem.

23 Likes

Li ion can be fast charged from 5°C to 45°C (41 to 113°F). Below 5°C, the charge current should be reduced, and no charging is permitted at freezing temperatures because of the reduced diffusion rates on the anode. … Charging is indeed possible with most lithium-ion cells but only at very low currents.

So your right it will stop . The problem is that the unit runs off the battery and not the power supplied. The charging CCT only kicks in in warm weather… definitely a firmware issue
They need to fix this

3 Likes

Ok I just cancelled my subscription. I’m done with Ring’s BS. I’m running Wyze cameras outside for alerts and person detection anyways and they don’t have a subscription.

If anything this should be marked as the solution. Solution: Cancel your subscription.

3 Likes

Completely agree, I have the exact same problem. The electronics in this doorbell are complete junk. If I new this before buying I would never of even considered this doorbell. With winter lasting 5-6 months this thing is completely useless, dead battery and disconnected from wifi. JUNK.

1 Like

Same problem. Hardwired and stopped charging just recently. Worked fine for a year. Something changed.

4 Likes

Hi bigvic 33,

Every day I read posts about people having problems either with charging, or inability to sound their indoor chime from the Ring Doorbell. Why not try what solved those two problems that I was also having? The WASHERS.

@ChicagoEd wrote:

Hi bigvic 33,

Every day I read posts about people having problems either with charging, or inability to sound their indoor chime from the Ring Doorbell. Why not try what solved those two problems that I was also having? The WASHERS.

Depends on what bigvic means by “stopped charging just recently”. Does he mean it’s not showing it’s connected (so perhaps the washers will help make a better connection) or does he mean “it’s no longer keeping it charged/discharging”, which is what most people are experiencing, to which the washers won’t do anything at all.

Washers don’t fix the discharge, only a poor connection.

ChicagoEd, you’re kidding me right? The washers do absolutely nothing. You can solder wires directly to the device but it won’t change how it’s programmed to charge.

Because this is NOT the solution even though Ring chose to mark this as solved, I started a new thread, https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Ring-doorbell-not-charging-NOT-SOLVED/m-p/24851

Same problem here I called them and they’re sending me another battery that will not fix my problem

Did they resolve your issue??? They’re sending me another battery that will not fix the charging the battery issue

1 Like

No this problem is still unresolved as Ring still does not acknowledge any problem with their software. No amount of troubleshooting will resolve this as it is a SOFTWARE ISSUE. Ring, stop getting people to troubleshoot when we are ALL HAVING THE EXACT SAME ISSUE WHEN YOUR NEW FIRMWARE WAS RELEASED.

I highly advise you to return your doorbell and go with another company other than Ring if you are still within your return window.

2 Likes