Ring doorbell not charging

I will try to reach out to *support*. Currently my ring doorbell is maintaining 100% which is drastically different than what its been since December.

Same. Guess the “weather” improved.

Since my last post, my Ring started charging and it’s at 100%. The battery has been ranging from 98% to 100% . It also has been around 10 degrees F here, which is considerbly colder than the 50 degree F weather when it was draining. Not sure what changed, but its certainly not the weather affecting the battery being charged.

I’ve had my ring doorbell over a year and also just started draining. I didn’t read 21 pages of comments but hopefully a fix will be pushed.

With no more threads, i assume Ring has fixed the issue?

My issue appears to be resolved. When I click the ? Next to the “Very Good” on power status, I’m still brought to a help page that suggests my doorbell is losing power. But it’s not, and that’s all I care about. It stays at 100% now.

I’m at 95% and still slowly charging. I’m still done with Ring products. I see the Ring 3 is the same garbage as well. Once my annual subscription expires I’ll just run it without a subscription until Wyze releases their doorbell. Wyze has already said it’s going to be hardwired (no battery to worry about). Not to mention at least Wyze communicates with their customers, unlike Ring that’s clearly too big to care.

This issue continues for me. I replaced the transformer, checked the wires, put in a new fully charged battery and the battery just drains. I spent a lot of time on line with support and they were of no help.

Yes mine has a slow discharge and does not recharge but I have an extra battery and when it goes to 50% I just swap batteries so I at least have a doorbell. I dont understand why Ring denies there is a problem so vehemently and will not recognize something is wrong with the interface between the battery and the hard wiring and it all started around Jan 10,2020 which is very odd that it is the same day as the update to the firmware is done but who could possibly think that it was connected,hmmmmmm.

I agree that this has to be a firmware issue. Prior to checking on line, when my doorbell 2 started to fail to charge, I decided to upgrade my transformer, check the wires, and cleaned the terminals. I lowered the sensitivity even though my settings were the same as they always were with the one exception…person ID. Since that has been active the wiring is not able to charge the battery. Ring needs to get this fixed ASAP.

UPDATE -

TURN OFF SMART ALERTS - People Only Mode

Doorbell returns to being able to keep a charge on the battery.

With it on the battery will only last about 2 days.

@Aberken wrote:

UPDATE -

TURN OFF SMART ALERTS - People Only Mode

Doorbell returns to being able to keep a charge on the battery.

With it on the battery will only last about 2 days.

My problem started after they updated the firmware to include Smart Alerts, but Smart Alerts was never enabled. It’s a firmware issue, not a setting issue (though enabling this setting will impact the battery).

Either way, Ring lost me…I’m not renewing my subscription and once Wyze releases there doorbell I’m switching and selling the Ring to recoup costs.

I saw on here someone put 2 washers on the terminals to make a better connection and also pressed harder when attaching it to the bracket. I did this and now my Ring says it’s hardwired.

Though some people have had hard Meier connection issues, most people have always been hardwired yet they still discharge. I added the washers in case it would give a stronger connection, but I’m still all over the place.

Again the only solution is to abandon the platform. There are other competitors in this market with more coming. The Ring cameras are pretty poor quality considering the price tag. Again a $25 Wyze camera quality is far superior to Ring’s $200 Doorbell.

They’ve lost me as a customer.

I was kind of hoping this issue was fixed as I was keen to purchase one. Have been monitoring this thread for over 2 weeks. Not enough info about the new Doorbell3 .

Now going to purchase Eufy.

@alpha wrote:

I was kind of hoping this issue was fixed as I was keen to purchase one. Have been monitoring this thread for over 2 weeks. Not enough info about the new Doorbell3 .

Now going to purchase Eufy.

Honestly the Ring 3 sounds like a joke. Looking at the specs it sounds like the Ring 2 with a 5GHz wifi nic. For this application 2.4GHz is enough, especially since 5GHz has terrible wall penetration, which is what these devices are on the other side of…a wall.

Looking it seems to have the same “1080p” 160 degree camera…which unless they upgraded the sensors/optics, will give the same garbage picture quality.

Yeah 5ghz is probably not ideal for the doorbell. In some cases though it may be better. 2.4 does penetrate walls better, but the available frequencies on that band are fewer than 5, and since it reaches farther there is typically a lot more congestion on the 2.4 band, especially in a large neighborhood or condo complex.

I do appreciate the 5ghz option.

I don’t appreciate what they did here and how, instead of admitting there is an issue, they deflected and refused to acknowledge their customer’s concerns. I bought heavily into the Ring ecosystem; I have the full alarm system, a doorbell, and two floodlight cameras. So it’s not as easy for me to just ditch them. I keep holding out hope that they will improve their customer service, but we will see.

As an aside, my doorbell is currently at 100% and has been for weeks now. Something changed. I didn’t change the wiring or add washers or any of that. It just started charging again on its own.

Well, I’ve determined that the stock market is doing much better than my Ring battery. My battery is definitely losing charge faster than the market is losing value. Charged my battery Midway through February after realizing that Ring unadmittedly screwed up the firmware. Over the next 2 weeks, it dropped to around 45%. Miraculously, it started charging again and reached approximately 78% over a couple week period. Now it’s 72%. I’d rather lose my life savings to the market, as opposed to losing my life to the pandemic zombies, but you know, a dead battery is my fault, not Rings. Ring don’t care. Also when can I expect the Smart Alerts feature that was released last year?

I tried adding the washers too and it started saying hardwired again but unfortunately, it only last a few days.

Has this issue improved for anyone after this last update?

The washer trick will only work if you did not make a good connection to begin with during initial install. If you’ve freshly stripped the wires and theyre snug around the screws, washers will make no difference.

This is purely a firmware issue with the ring doorbell. My parents doorbell continues to discharge dispite the warmer weather we have been having. Its been in the positives the last few days and the doorbell is at 30%. This is just awful, no fix as of yet and they wont even admit theres an issue. Worst company ever.

1 Like