Ring doorbell not charging

So, after an hour of chatting with support and them telling me it was up to date, my current version is 1.22.27, which is not the same as yours Noexistence and appears to be a newer one.

When you applied the washers, did you reset or powercycle the device at all? I didn’t and I’m wondering if I should have to try and force update.

@wpgcan I didn’t power cycle it. I just disconnected the wires, slid the washer in (got lucky I even had ones small enough) and reconnected.

So I have v1.26.16 and I’m charging and you have v1.22.27. You’re in Winnipeg right (based on your username). If you are I am as well so we are in the exact same climate/temperature. Are you running a Ring 2 or another device?

You are correct I am in Winnipeg as well. It is a Ring Video Doorbell 2 (1080p version) purchased from Best Buy in December of 2019.

Ok so other than mine being from May 2018, the only difference is the firmware. Maybe contact support and see if you can get someone, anyone, to update your firmware and try and get the release notes. Worth a shot.

Currently at 78% (just to keep track)

My doorbell 2 just recently magically started charging as of a few days ago. Does anyone know if they updated the firmware? Is anyone else experiencing the same thing where their doorbell is charging properly again? Mine is currently at 100%.

Also note my temps are in the teens so the temperature blame was a playbook response. Very disconcerting they would treat customers this way instead of being transparent. Another note I have a second wireless camera that was charging just fine in cold temperatures while the doorbell was not.

That leads me to this question. How do you tell when the firmware was updated or see release notes for the firmware your running?

@DawtCom

Hey there’s no way to see the firmware without contacting support. Tier 1 Support (I just go Chat) can at minimum tell you your current firmware version (after telling you it’s “up to date” lol just insist on the version number). I’m still waiting for release notes though I requested them last week and nothing yet (24-48h my ). They also *might* be able to tell you what day it was updated but don’t hold your breath.

Can you *please* contact chat support and find out what firmware version you have? Most people in here aren’t finding out this info but the more we know the closer we can hopefully find a pattern (because tech support is useless).

I have 1.26.16 and I’m now charging but @wpgcan is 1.22.27 and not charging (and wpgcan and I are in the same city so weather isn’t a factor)

I’m discharging again (77%)

I will try to reach out to *support*. Currently my ring doorbell is maintaining 100% which is drastically different than what its been since December.

Same. Guess the “weather” improved.

Since my last post, my Ring started charging and it’s at 100%. The battery has been ranging from 98% to 100% . It also has been around 10 degrees F here, which is considerbly colder than the 50 degree F weather when it was draining. Not sure what changed, but its certainly not the weather affecting the battery being charged.

I’ve had my ring doorbell over a year and also just started draining. I didn’t read 21 pages of comments but hopefully a fix will be pushed.

With no more threads, i assume Ring has fixed the issue?

My issue appears to be resolved. When I click the ? Next to the “Very Good” on power status, I’m still brought to a help page that suggests my doorbell is losing power. But it’s not, and that’s all I care about. It stays at 100% now.

I’m at 95% and still slowly charging. I’m still done with Ring products. I see the Ring 3 is the same garbage as well. Once my annual subscription expires I’ll just run it without a subscription until Wyze releases their doorbell. Wyze has already said it’s going to be hardwired (no battery to worry about). Not to mention at least Wyze communicates with their customers, unlike Ring that’s clearly too big to care.

This issue continues for me. I replaced the transformer, checked the wires, put in a new fully charged battery and the battery just drains. I spent a lot of time on line with support and they were of no help.

Yes mine has a slow discharge and does not recharge but I have an extra battery and when it goes to 50% I just swap batteries so I at least have a doorbell. I dont understand why Ring denies there is a problem so vehemently and will not recognize something is wrong with the interface between the battery and the hard wiring and it all started around Jan 10,2020 which is very odd that it is the same day as the update to the firmware is done but who could possibly think that it was connected,hmmmmmm.

I agree that this has to be a firmware issue. Prior to checking on line, when my doorbell 2 started to fail to charge, I decided to upgrade my transformer, check the wires, and cleaned the terminals. I lowered the sensitivity even though my settings were the same as they always were with the one exception…person ID. Since that has been active the wiring is not able to charge the battery. Ring needs to get this fixed ASAP.

UPDATE -

TURN OFF SMART ALERTS - People Only Mode

Doorbell returns to being able to keep a charge on the battery.

With it on the battery will only last about 2 days.

@Aberken wrote:

UPDATE -

TURN OFF SMART ALERTS - People Only Mode

Doorbell returns to being able to keep a charge on the battery.

With it on the battery will only last about 2 days.

My problem started after they updated the firmware to include Smart Alerts, but Smart Alerts was never enabled. It’s a firmware issue, not a setting issue (though enabling this setting will impact the battery).

Either way, Ring lost me…I’m not renewing my subscription and once Wyze releases there doorbell I’m switching and selling the Ring to recoup costs.

I saw on here someone put 2 washers on the terminals to make a better connection and also pressed harder when attaching it to the bracket. I did this and now my Ring says it’s hardwired.