Ring doorbell not charging

That’s how my 1 is. Shows hardwired but shows charging. Been hovering around 91 with everything off. 30volta at terminal. I don’t get it. Ever feature turned off still not charging to 100%

Hi New Neighbor 11,

They’re in the right place, but I can’t see the details of what is just below the washers. Your Doorbell construction looks a bit different from mine which was bought in 12/19, but what counts is whether it works better with the washers. I had just bare AWG 22 solid wire wrapped around the screws and then tightened, and I wasn’t getting any contact for charging or for sounding the inside mechanical chimes.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Not sure if you’re talking to me but I posted a picture of what it looked like before I installed the washers here:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Ring-doorbell-not-charging/m-p/21206/highlight/true#M7188

My Ring 2 is from May 2018

I agree. I think it is time to switch.

Dont understand how the battery dies when this weekend was the warmest it’s been in quite some time. Took it off to charge for couple hours and still says no battery…

Every please contact Chat Support and find out what firmware version you’re on. Mine is v1.26.16

I don’t know if it’s the +1°C weather, the washers, or if my firmware changed (still waiting to get a firmware update history) but I’m charging again.

Either way it would be good to start documenting what firmware everyone is on to see if there are any inconsistencies.

Just installed my Ring Doorbell 2 two days ago (hardwired). Power and WiFi says very good on the app and. Minimal activity on the doorbell (avg of 2 events a day) and it works good. However, the battery is not charging and it is draining. It’s not the weather, it has been 50 degrees F the last two days during the day here. My app also says I have a solar device installed which I do not. If this isn’t fixed soon, I will certainly be returning the products and switch to a different company. What’s the point of hardwiring if you have to work off battery power? The battery should be for back up purposes anyway. I will also not be contacting support so I can be told that its the weather like everyone else here. Please fix this Ring, or at least acknowledge that there is a issue with the firmware that you are working on fixing. Thanks.

2 Likes

@Mrkie10 wrote:

I will also not be contacting support so I can be told that its the weather like everyone else here. Please fix this Ring, or at least acknowledge that there is a issue with the firmware that you are working on fixing. Thanks.

If you could actually contact Support and at least find out what firmware version you are on, that could be helpful.

1 Like

I’ve never had any problems with my hardwired Ring Doorbell since installing it more than a year ago and suddenly last week it shows the status as battery and it continued to drop in charge. I tried the washer trick on Friday and it worked. Until today! ? I just checked and it has now changed again and is no longer reading as hardwired but as battery. I’m really frustrated with this situation!

1 Like

Oh and I live in the south with warm weather so the weather cannot be blamed.

1 Like

Feels like it’s charging today. Could it be firmware?

I did the washer trick yesterday morning, and the temperatures have been above zero the last few days. Guess what? Battery has dropped 2% since, absolutely no change.

Everyone post what your firmware version is. I’m 1.26.16 and I’m charging. I even enabled HDR a couple days ago

How did you find your firmware version? As far as I was aware Ring removed the firmware versions from the software a while back unless you are on an old firmware. So of you are on the most recent it just says Firmware - Up To Date, if you are on an old firmware then it will actually show the version. I assume that means your on an old firmware at the moment.

I’ve mentioned it a couple times now but Chat Support can give you that info. Since we can’t see firmware versions maybe there’s some inconsistency between our versions?

I’m just trying to troubleshoot this.

Mine appears to be charging again too for no apparent reason. Bet the firmware updated. It’s also been quite cold here lately. Colder than when it wasn’t charging.

Can you contact chat and ask what firmware version you have and if they can tell you what the date it was last updated?

If you have the know how, supposedly a packet capture on your network can show you a user agent string for the doorbell that has a version number in it.

Whatever you think is faster. Chat worked for me but if you want to packet capture your network to find it , all the power to you.

So, after an hour of chatting with support and them telling me it was up to date, my current version is 1.22.27, which is not the same as yours Noexistence and appears to be a newer one.

When you applied the washers, did you reset or powercycle the device at all? I didn’t and I’m wondering if I should have to try and force update.