Ring doorbell not charging

I’ve been using mine since May 2018, then after the Jan 2020 firmware update it started to discharge. It’s the firmware, and probably the addition of Person Detection.

I wouldn’t “upgrade” to the Pro version and give Ring more money. If I’m “upgrading” its to a competitor. Even if they fix the problem, the lack of acknowledgement, the blaming of the customers, and lack of support make me not want to support Ring anymore. I’m done. They have until my Annual Subscription runs out, then I’m cancelling and moving to another company.

Wyze can’t release their Doorbell fast enough. At least they have amazing customer service.

to thedavidfield, I would like to join a class action situation but not sure I can from Canada. The only problem is that I will not put my email address in anything public that is run by RING. If there is another way to get connected that would likely work. I am seriously dropping the community here as I am tired of the 2 stage login which is ridiculous, just another red herring to throw everyone off by RING. They are concentrating on the wrong things for sure.

Update: Ring moderators just cut off more than half of my message in an attempt to silence us!

1 Like

@thedavidfield

Yup most of your original message is missing. WTF Ring!?

@thedavidfield original message

“ READ ME!

To all those who are all of a sudden experiencing issues with charging the DoorBell 2, read this. Notice the DoorBell 2 worked, held a charge with no issues until recently? Also notice the Ring app now has a battery percentage indicator. Notice further when you click the “?” under device health next to the battery status you get the page “Your Ring Doorbell is Losing Power.”

Really? Interesting Ring, very interesting. So all of a suddent, my ~20v AC is not enough to power and charge the Doorbell? Lies!

Notice how Ring will tell everyone who has video or audio issues that the issue is caused by poor wifi, with a billion b.s. tips on how to solve it even though most of us have our ring less than 10 ft from our router? Notice how RING is the ONLY device in your house that seems to have WiFi issues? Now, notice ring is putting out more b.s. about the battery/charging issues with more nonsensical troubleshooting that doesn’t help. Notice how they blame YOU for all the issues?

RING… THE ISSUE IS YOUR DOORBELL 2! It is faulty garbage, you know it and you won’t admit it. That’s why everytime you have a flood of the same issue you put out bull crap technical articles trying to scurry around the issue. You blame the issues on the consumers wifi, power, setup, location etc. THIS IS NOT FAIR. We can all see the scam you have going on with these units.

Anyone here who wants to get in on a class action lawsuit let me know and reply with your email address. Ring needs to take responsability for their garbage product and offer us refunds. I am so sick of their lies, deception and B.S. they must be help accountable. ”

Please refer to our Community Guidelines. If a post violates these Guidelines we will edit or delete.

Hi Jennifer, I want my firmware rolled back to the version before Jan 2020. How do I do that? Also I want the version numbers and release notes for the firmware.

Please post the firmware release notes here. Thanks.

Hi neighbor - If you take a look at the Guidelines, you’ll notice this is not a support channel. This is a neighbor-to-neighbor forum offering guidance and assistance with your device. I suggest calling support or assisting us with figuiring out the problem. If you truly believe it is firmware, then show us. Filing a Class Action Lawsuit and not abiding by the Community Guidelines gets us no where. What does get us somewhere, and information we can deliver to the team, is information such as:

• When did you first start to notice this

-What device is this on?

• What are the current temperatures where you live – as mentioned COLD WEATHER can take a toll on your battery life

• If you use your device inside, is this still the case?

-I’ve noticed neighbors saying ‘when my device was updated’ – can you go into detail? What update happened? Keep in mind an APP update and device update are completely different

Again, as is is winter cold weather does affect your device, so do multiple items such as RSSI, multiple notifications, etc.

“ If you truly believe it is firmware, then show us“

See how can we? Ring hides the firmware versions!!! All we get is “up-to-date”!

All I know is I found my Ring2 dead on February 8, it died February 3 (according to my apps history) and Ring Chat said my device was updated January 9, 2020 with Person Detection. Another thing I know is I’ve been using the device since May 2018, hardwired, and *never* had the battery die. The winter of 2018/2019 was by and far much colder than 2019/2020, yet last year I had ZERO issues and now this year, since the JANUARY 9 firmware update, now I have to manually charge my device.

And you’re going to feed us all a script line of “it’s cold outside”? Jennifer, it was colder last year with no issues! So stop peeing on my leg and telling me it’s raining outside.

1 Like

The current surface temperature of my Ring2 in the sun is 71°F and 21°C…why am I still discharging?

Also I pulled the unit and my voltage is a steady 12.7v

Just got off of Chat Support. Same “cold weather” script, but I found out my current firmware is 1.26.16 but they don’t have access to release notes or installation date. I’ve requested escalation to someone that could get me information. I was told I’ll get an email in 24-48 hours.

Chat wanted me to bring the device inside to “test”. The test being plug it in. That’s not a test…that’s just charging it manually!

1 Like

Hi Neighbors,

I’ve seen so many posts here about people having strange problems with inconsistent charging, that I’d like to offer this suggestion:

bobbetts , who posted on Feb. 6, 2020, reported that he had found that putting a small washer under each of the two screwheads which fasten the house wires bringing AC to the doorbell for charging, solved his problem. I tried it too, since I had neither charging nor ringing of my inside mechanical chime, and found that miraculously it worked. After I had wasted so much time trying other things. It may be the cause of your inconsistent charging also. I encourage you to try this simple “fix”.

1 Like

I’ve been following this for a while. As per recent comments how the wires attach to the back plate of my doorbell at least (v1) is less than ideal. I had issues about a year ago with it sometimes not ringing internal chime. I found some comments about using washers but I had none so just re positioned the wires best I could to make better contact. All was fine still it started getting cold and noticed it not charging despite saying it was hard wired. Because of the previous comments I went and got some washers. After having them fitted today is the first day in months it’s changed to 100% by its self! So thanks to everyone in the community that suggested this.

Confirmed. It worked! bobbetts is my hero.

I’m at a total loss why so many of us would have this issue at the same time, especially after the device successfully worked hardwired (with chime) for over a year. Evidence would suggest a firmware issue. That said, 26 cents worth of washers worked. Can’t explain it… If it happens again, I’ll be sure to check the connection to make sure everything is snug.

Thanks bobbetts!

It had been charging well until a few weeks ago and just tried the washers trick and it worked. lol

Is this where everyone is putting the washers?

FF8B2567-F751-44C6-953E-E70348E5850C.jpeg

So what do us ring 1 aka classic user do? I don’t N think I can fit washers on the backplate then still attach cam to it.

Found a couple small washers. Does this look right?

EE9E32A8-D4E1-42BE-BDA8-E7A62C8C1A88.jpeg

Yes, that’s exactly how I did it.

1 Like

@Dett

Did yours say it was hardwired with the battery charging icon but was still discharging?