Ring doorbell not charging

My Ring’s battery (not hardwired) suddenly started to drain about 15% per day. I had never experienced such problems before. To recharge it, I must drive over 2 hours and wait until it charges. Terrible security device. The last time the battery refused to even take a charge. Even when plugged in it stayed at 1%, critically low. Unfortunately, I think I may have fallen for this scam. I bought a Ring Doorbell 2 believing that my original device’s battery had merely worn out. (I’m in balmy SoCal so cold weather has never been a problem.)

The Ring 2 seems unable to utilize the more-than-adequate available light so it uses infrared resulting in blurry black and white video. The original Ring worked well in the same light. Is this to encourage the purchase of a new Ring Spotlight? Gross.

1 Like

I also have this problem. New DB2, hardwired with the perfect current. It is not charging and Ring Support just told me I was using it too much and the hardwire will not charge the device. I know other DB2 users who have never had to charge their hard-wired devices. What has changed . I think I will return my doorbell and buy a Nest if this is not sorted in the next day or so.

My Ring video doorbell 2 was doing the same thing. Tech support said it was because I didn’t have a resistor in the line and no chime unit. They said it must of “burned” out the unit. They sent me a resistor and a new unit because it was under warranty. If you don’t have a chime make sure you out a resistor in the line

So Ring Support’s solution is “SoCal” is too cold, and/or buy more hardware not included with the original product because if you don’t it’ll “burn out the product”…2 years after installation (I purchased mine May 2018)? Lol

“Support” is a absolute joke. They don’t have a clue and are just script readers.

I have had everything since day one! Including 2 chines, the pro and non pro. My WiFi is -43 can’t get better ! Hard wired since day one, still loses charge. Bunch of script readers and clowns.

bobbets, you are a genius!

I’ve read every post on this board, and yours WORKS! I was suspicious of my connection between the doorbell unit and the house wiring because I found that I was not getting battery charging AND not able to ring the interior door chime. Both indicating lack of connection to the house. I just installed the two washers and both problems are RESOLVED!

Ring has incompetent people doing their part to resolve this problem that is SO prevalent, and yet so easily remedied. Of course there is a defect in design or manufacture of the baseplates for the RING doorbell because the 12 printed pads are supposed to connect to the two screws which provide the connection to house wiring, and they don’t. Too bad for users that RING couldn’t figure this out!

1 Like

Chicago Ed glad it worked out for you happy to help

Wow. Amazing you figured this out.

Unfortunaltely, the Ring doorbell I’ve been working with has always showed as hardwired and charging, it just doesnt charge.

Was your ring working previously hardwired and stopped working? Or were you always having issues since install?

My ring doorbell has stopped working, works for a bit and then nothing. Blue circle light flashes, cannot find out what this means. Any suggestions?

See video here, https://goc-shared-images.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ring-doorbell.mp4

Update from me. My Ring Doorbell 2 has now started charging. It went from about 90% to 100% overnight following a few calls with Ring Support. I’m not sure if they did anything or if it fixed itself. I was on the verge of returning it and I made that very clear to them. It did freeze after my first call with them and I had to do a hard reset when I got home in the evening, so hard to tell what made it work.

@Eddys

Can you find out if they updated your firmware?

Chicago Ed, spot on, the error was in the connection at the screws. Remade this connection now it lights up and charges. Thanks

Pity Ring Support couldn’t figure this out. I can’t believe the number of posts on this without a resolution - appalling! Ring get your act together!

READ ME!

To all those who are all of a sudden experiencing issues with charging the DoorBell 2, read this. Notice the DoorBell 2 worked, held a charge with no issues until recently? Also notice the Ring app now has a battery percentage indicator. Notice further when you click the “?” under device health next to the battery status you get the NEW page “Your Ring Doorbell is Losing Power.”

Really? Interesting Ring, very interesting. So all of a sudden, my ~20v AC is not enough to power and charge the Doorbell? Lies!

Ring moderators deleted most of my message explaining how shady Ring is as a company. This proves it! What I said was along the lines of this:

Ring blames the wifi on the consumer. Not true, most of us have our DoorBells only a few feet from the router. Ring blames the audio and video on our internet, not true Ring, I have Gigabit with a Gigabit router. ALL of us can attest to the fact that our WiFi devices in the home work as exepcted, except the Ring. So many people complained, Ring put out bogus documents explaining how all of us were at fault.

That brings us to the power issue. All of a sudden, circa late 2019, all of our Doorbell 2’s start losing power when hardwired. Ring says it’s the cold, or that our voltage isn’t high enough. All untrue. Never had a problem until the last few months. Now Ring updated their app to have the “Your Ring Is Losing Power” page when you click the “?” icon next to the battery status. Again, another futile attempt at trying to cover up the fact the product is garbage.

I am sick and tired of the blaming of the consumer for an inferior, very EXPENSIVE product. I hope you leave this message up this time Ring, you silencing me only solidifies my belief you know your product doesn’t work and you won’t do anything to fix it for us.

1 Like

Having the exact same issue in Ontario Canada. Has been flawless for 1.5 years, then bang, even if hardwired, not holding charge. Was told by support this is working as expected, that I should upgrade to ring pro, which does not use battery. Was offered 35% rebate. What a load of hot garbage. Expecting this to be fixed.

I’ve been using mine since May 2018, then after the Jan 2020 firmware update it started to discharge. It’s the firmware, and probably the addition of Person Detection.

I wouldn’t “upgrade” to the Pro version and give Ring more money. If I’m “upgrading” its to a competitor. Even if they fix the problem, the lack of acknowledgement, the blaming of the customers, and lack of support make me not want to support Ring anymore. I’m done. They have until my Annual Subscription runs out, then I’m cancelling and moving to another company.

Wyze can’t release their Doorbell fast enough. At least they have amazing customer service.

to thedavidfield, I would like to join a class action situation but not sure I can from Canada. The only problem is that I will not put my email address in anything public that is run by RING. If there is another way to get connected that would likely work. I am seriously dropping the community here as I am tired of the 2 stage login which is ridiculous, just another red herring to throw everyone off by RING. They are concentrating on the wrong things for sure.

Update: Ring moderators just cut off more than half of my message in an attempt to silence us!

1 Like

@thedavidfield

Yup most of your original message is missing. WTF Ring!?