Ring doorbell not charging

Agree with you 100% my level of frustration is beyond anything …

@Marley_Ring wrote:

Hey neighbors! As stated prior in this thread, cold weather can certain have unfortunate effects on the lithium-ion battery used in many devices, including our battery powered Video Doorbells. Usage, number of events, and even wifi signal interference can contribute to a draining battery. Check out our Community post about battery draining for more information.

Using the existing wiring to charge your Doorbell is a great method for extending battery life. Keep in mind that variables such as power supply rating, wire gauge, length of wire run, and even an existing chime kit, can factor into resistance or differences in voltage.

We are always working to add features that will only optimize and benefit your use of your Ring devices. Resources are definitely something we keep in mind, such as the motion frequency setting which preserves battery in a high traffic environment.

After exploring these options, if you feel your battery should be charging or maintaining a charge longer, our support team is happy to assist with more in-depth troubleshooting.

Marley, could you please address our issues? This is getting out of hand.

2 Likes

@Marley_Ring, I see you posting and helping out others today. Could you please provide your input on our situation and help us out?

So I am now dealing with these j**ka**es and they are claiming that the battery will not charge if the temperature is below 36 F. Why the hell are they selling these products in Northern States and Canada where from December to March the temperature is seldom if ever above that temperature. This is insanity and also the battery charged all the way through until early January when it quit charging. Also how all the other products in the market charge with no problem in the cold weather it is only these idiots that are causing a problem. I have demanded they pay me back every penny I have spent on products but I am sure it will only take a lawyer to get me anything and I would have to pay more than that to the lawyer unless a nice lawyer would start a class action suit in Canada.

1 Like

@dblackinsk all information can be found on Ring.com about operating temperatures. Also, I suggest taking a look at this help article, which provides a bit more information: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005939463-Cold-Weather-and-Battery-Powered-Ring-Devices

@Jennifer_Ring, the product I bought does not say this information. I should not have to rely on searching for this information elsewhere than on the product packaging or internal instructions. That being said, this has never been an issue until your most recent firmware rollout.

2 Likes

I’m also waiting for Wyze.

I’m not sure on the timeline but it’s on the roadmap.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/wyze/original/3X/6/d/6da8e95da6b4fa8bf2a6e4676c4df4fa992a29d0.png

Ring did something to mess up the battery consumption. We know it, they know it, and they keep feeding us scripted “cold weather” responses instead of owning up to the mistake. It’s the lack of ownership that has turned me off to the product.

2 Likes

My Ring’s battery (not hardwired) suddenly started to drain about 15% per day. I had never experienced such problems before. To recharge it, I must drive over 2 hours and wait until it charges. Terrible security device. The last time the battery refused to even take a charge. Even when plugged in it stayed at 1%, critically low. Unfortunately, I think I may have fallen for this scam. I bought a Ring Doorbell 2 believing that my original device’s battery had merely worn out. (I’m in balmy SoCal so cold weather has never been a problem.)

The Ring 2 seems unable to utilize the more-than-adequate available light so it uses infrared resulting in blurry black and white video. The original Ring worked well in the same light. Is this to encourage the purchase of a new Ring Spotlight? Gross.

1 Like

I also have this problem. New DB2, hardwired with the perfect current. It is not charging and Ring Support just told me I was using it too much and the hardwire will not charge the device. I know other DB2 users who have never had to charge their hard-wired devices. What has changed . I think I will return my doorbell and buy a Nest if this is not sorted in the next day or so.

My Ring video doorbell 2 was doing the same thing. Tech support said it was because I didn’t have a resistor in the line and no chime unit. They said it must of “burned” out the unit. They sent me a resistor and a new unit because it was under warranty. If you don’t have a chime make sure you out a resistor in the line

So Ring Support’s solution is “SoCal” is too cold, and/or buy more hardware not included with the original product because if you don’t it’ll “burn out the product”…2 years after installation (I purchased mine May 2018)? Lol

“Support” is a absolute joke. They don’t have a clue and are just script readers.

I have had everything since day one! Including 2 chines, the pro and non pro. My WiFi is -43 can’t get better ! Hard wired since day one, still loses charge. Bunch of script readers and clowns.

bobbets, you are a genius!

I’ve read every post on this board, and yours WORKS! I was suspicious of my connection between the doorbell unit and the house wiring because I found that I was not getting battery charging AND not able to ring the interior door chime. Both indicating lack of connection to the house. I just installed the two washers and both problems are RESOLVED!

Ring has incompetent people doing their part to resolve this problem that is SO prevalent, and yet so easily remedied. Of course there is a defect in design or manufacture of the baseplates for the RING doorbell because the 12 printed pads are supposed to connect to the two screws which provide the connection to house wiring, and they don’t. Too bad for users that RING couldn’t figure this out!

1 Like

Chicago Ed glad it worked out for you happy to help

Wow. Amazing you figured this out.

Unfortunaltely, the Ring doorbell I’ve been working with has always showed as hardwired and charging, it just doesnt charge.

Was your ring working previously hardwired and stopped working? Or were you always having issues since install?

My ring doorbell has stopped working, works for a bit and then nothing. Blue circle light flashes, cannot find out what this means. Any suggestions?

See video here, https://goc-shared-images.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ring-doorbell.mp4

Update from me. My Ring Doorbell 2 has now started charging. It went from about 90% to 100% overnight following a few calls with Ring Support. I’m not sure if they did anything or if it fixed itself. I was on the verge of returning it and I made that very clear to them. It did freeze after my first call with them and I had to do a hard reset when I got home in the evening, so hard to tell what made it work.

@Eddys

Can you find out if they updated your firmware?