Ring doorbell not charging

Man, that’s cold! I’m in NY. We’ve been having a heat wave all winter. No real snow either. Lots of rain though. Keep warm!

@Eagle328 wrote:
Man, that’s cold! I’m in NY. We’ve been having a heat wave all winter. No real snow either. Lots of rain though. Keep warm!

We literally just got a cold snap today. Couple days ago it was -1C! lol

If this issue is rectified or acknowledged by Ring, can some one pls post it up.

Still draining here. Been above 40 all week. Fully charged. Dropped to 93% on ring 1hardwired 24v40va. Units less then a month old.

I talked to support regarding my doorbell (v 1) not staying charged (w/solar sleeve). They had me reset and setup the ring from scratch again. They confirmed that the solar panel was charging (they said they could only see that during an event, not available on app). I put it back on the door at 100%. Less than 24 hours and 6 events later, it’s at 93%.

It may be charging, just not enough to outpace the energy draw.

Mine still is not charging this morning. 92%, which reflects usage since I last fully charged the battery from a USB cable.

Extremely unsatisifed customer at the moment.

I purchased the Ring Video Doorbell 2 for my parents for Christmas, they have no smart devices in their home and this was my first attempt at getting them onboard. Since they have a lot of random people knocking at their door, I’m worried about their safety and thought this would be great. After reading many reviews I decided to go with Ring as it seemed the most stable, but I was wrong.

We installed it just before Christmas 2019, fully charged and hardwired. A few weeks later my father noticed it was no longer sending notifications and the battery had drained. After troubleshooting, we decided to buy a new transformer and upgrade it from 10A to 30A as Ring suggested, a $30+ tax purchase. Its made no difference at all, the battery continues to drain. I’ve tested all connections, cleaned all contacts, stripped new wires, nothing has fixed the problem.

We paid the $50 for the yearly subscription (which I understand used to be $30 just before Christmas), not to mention the cost of the Ring Doorbell itself, and we now have a product which does not work and I cannot return as it is outside the 30 day window.

Ring, what do I do now? Stand behind your product, listen to your customers complaints and fix this as you are now selling faulty products.

@wpgcan wrote:

We paid the $50 for the yearly subscription (which I understand used to be $30 just before Christmas),

Wait…the subscription is now $50/year???

Yes it’s $50 a year now. I did not know that until I installed and went to register it. Everyone I spoke to said they were only paying $30 which I thought wasn’t horrible. $50 is steep for a product which doesn’t work, which is why I’m very frustrated. My father texts me every day to tell me the battery keeps going down and I don’t know what to do.

@wpgcan wrote:
Yes it’s $50 a year now. I did not know that until I installed and went to register it. Everyone I spoke to said they were only paying $30 which I thought wasn’t horrible. $50 is steep for a product which doesn’t work, which is why I’m very frustrated. My father texts me every day to tell me the battery keeps going down and I don’t know what to do.

I can tell you this, I’m in Wpg as well (well I’m assuming based on your username). My Ring2 worked perfectly fine all last winter and as you know, Winnipeg was waaaay colder last year than this year!

On Jan 9th, my Ring’s firmware was updated with Person Detection, Snapshot, and some bug fixes. Person Detection runs on the camera, like a piece of software. Software uses CPU and memory resources, which in turn would use more power. So I’m pretty confidant that the issue is the addition of Person Detection in 2020 is draining the battery faster than before it was installed.

The whole point of hardwiring it was so I didn’t need to pull the battery to recharge it. I’d be fine not having Person Detection if it meant I didn’t have to worry about the camera’s battery life

1 Like

Are you in the US? If so, the price is still the same. Here is the prices from Ring’s US website.
https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans

I have called 2 times, and been disconnected 2 times… went thru the reset and had them check a number of things remotly … If I can’t get it fixed I will find a better product and move on…

I’d like to say I will find a better product and move on, but I literally spent about $300 so far on the product, subscription, and additional transmformer which are all currently useless and I cannot get my moneyback.

Class action lawsuit anyone?

2 Likes

I’m in if class action lawsuit … eyes closed

2 Likes

Hey neighbors! As stated prior in this thread, cold weather can certain have unfortunate effects on the lithium-ion battery used in many devices, including our battery powered Video Doorbells. Usage, number of events, and even wifi signal interference can contribute to a draining battery. Check out our Community post about battery draining for more information.

Using the existing wiring to charge your Doorbell is a great method for extending battery life. Keep in mind that variables such as power supply rating, wire gauge, length of wire run, and even an existing chime kit, can factor into resistance or differences in voltage.

We are always working to add features that will only optimize and benefit your use of your Ring devices. Resources are definitely something we keep in mind, such as the motion frequency setting which preserves battery in a high traffic environment.

After exploring these options, if you feel your battery should be charging or maintaining a charge longer, our support team is happy to assist with more in-depth troubleshooting.

1 Like

Oh yes, how silly of us to think that 12 pages of comments referring to irregular pattern behavior of our devices would be caused by standard weather patterns that in previous years had no bearing on it’s ability to charge a battery. Before responding, I assume the admins have taken the time to test multiple ring devices at the minimum acceptable temperature, for a duration of 2 to 4 weeks using standard doorbell wiring, voltage and amperage? Please please tell me that is true. In an area of the country that has several snowbirds that move away for 6 months, I feel sorry for them when they soon realize that their once reliable security system has failed them. I didn’t have any issues until my yearly subscription renewed.

3 Likes

Ring,

You do realize you advertise this product that it can operate as hardwired OR battery. You have mislabeled your product and are now telling us that the hardwire just trickle charges the device. Why not have the device fully powered by the hardwire and use battery as backup, the way it’s usually done. Get your act together.

Marley you are wrong. The hardwire nolonger provides enough charge to maintain the the battery. Two years no issues and then out of nowhere at the end of 2019 the batteries started to lose charge. I replaced the battery. Same thing is happening. The only time I get a increase in the charge is if I don’t have any activity the entire day and I don’t do a live view. And when I say an increase it goes from 80% to 81%. For two years everytime I checked the battery it was100%. Now it just keeps getting lower and lower, then dies. Houston we have a problem.

5 Likes

@Marley_Ring wrote:

Hey neighbors!

Marley get your development engineers to roll back the firmware! Up until the Jan 9. 2020 firmware NO ONE had a problem with the hardwired trickle charge. Now everyone’s devices are discharging, and I would put money on it’s the device-side (Edge AI) person detection algorithm Ring installed on all these devices. Clearly you guys didn’t do any testing, or at least not enough.

ROLL BACK THE FIRMWARE! Also while we’re at it, let us see the firmware versions and the notes! Why hide it behind “Up-to-date”?

ROLL BACK THE FIRMWARE!
ROLL BACK THE FIRMWARE!
ROLL BACK THE FIRMWARE!

7 Likes