Ring doorbell not charging

@Troyeatl wrote:

I removed and reinstalled my ring 2. Stripped the wires so fresh copper was making the connection. Now it says my power status is Very Good. However I also charged the battery to full via USB cable so it may be reporting that based solely on the battery voltage. Will have to see.

I pulled the battery and charged it fully 100% 2 nights ago. The app shows:

Power Source: Hardwired
Power Status: Very Good

Solar Charger Status: Connected (note it’s not on a solar charger).

It’s now at 96% and continuing to drop. If Ring’s “solution” is that it’s too cold, then this thing is worthless in all of Canada and the northern parts of the USA. My subscription runs out in May, at that time if this isn’t resolved I’m pulling the camera, selling it, and waiting for Wyze.

1 Like

@Troyeatl Not going to be resolved, they are trying to sell you solar powered plates and or change to a different model. Coz it was working for 3 years flawless and they did it on purpose to limit charging … 2019 Christmas time. I also says hard wired and still
Drops % like crazy.

Ok I think I got the answer! Just finished talking to Ring Chat. My firmware was updated Jan 9 and in that updated included On Device Person Detection! So that’s completely the source of the problem! On device Person Detection would require more CPU Cycles, which would require more power!

Everyone complain to Ring and ask to get a developer to look at their device as it appears the latest firmware is causing battery drain issues. I would rather not have person detection than have to manually charge my battery every month

1 Like

I wonder if turning that off in Smart Alerts would help then?

@Troyeatl wrote:

I wonder if turning that off in Smart Alerts would help then?

I asked if it can be turned off and Ring Chat said “There’s no way to disable the person-detection in the RIng app but I can add it to my note so that they can check it.”

I’ve turned that off, lowered to minimal detection, turned off motion alerts. Even ring alerts , hard wired , RSSI-44 and still same!

Doubt it. I ha e ring classic and pro. My pro is fine. My classic brand new 2 weeks old.wired to a brand new 24v 40va. Charged to 100. Shows hardwired meter says 30va at plate. Yet installed and 3 days later in hovering at 93% I don’t have the people option on mine.

@Bmerdinian wrote:
I’ve turned that off, lowered to minimal detection, turned off motion alerts. Even ring alerts , hard wired , RSSI-44 and still same!

Because I don’t think Person Detection can be turned off on the device. It’s always running regardless if you enable the People Only Mode or not. The People Only Mode simply tells the app to only notify you if a person was detected, not enable Person Detection. It’s a notification filter.

@mdoyle845845 wrote:
I don’t have the people option on mine.

If you have the People Only Mode availabe in Smart Alerts, then Person Detection has been installed on your device.

I’ve had my ring doorbell with solar plate for a few years with no problems. In January, I got a notification that the battery is low. Ok, so thought it was the season and not getting enough sunlight so charged it. Lasted about 3 weeks and the battery died. Thought that the batteries were toast but came to the forum and found this thread. Hmmm…

My Ring Doorbell 2 has the same problem. It had been charging well(even during very cold winter days) until 2 weeks a go. It is definitely a software/firmware problem.

Yup, we are + 6 today and still draining ! :slight_smile: it’s a lost cause

I’m having the same problem. I have the Ring 2 doorbell, hardwired. It worked for the 1st year. Now the 2nd year, I’m having to charge the battery more often.

I do live in a cold climate but it worked wonderful last year in colder temps. We are having a much nicer weather & now having to keep charging it. I don’t receive any emails letting me know the battery is low. It’s when it quits announcing “motion detected at the back door” is when I know it has to be recharged.

I do pay the yearly charge for Ring cloud? or whatever it is. Not sure that it’s worth it now. I also have cheap Wyze cameras which are more dependable than the Ring 2 doorbell now. Frustrated I have to keep taking the battery out to recharge.

Mine was working for 3 consecutive years without any issues ! Then hit the fan when someone at ring decided to mess it up for all of us.

I have 2 Ring Doorbells. One is Ring1 and the other is Ring2. I also just bought a replacement battery which has not yet been used.

None of them will hold a charge. I have tried charging all of them in different places in my home. They will go green, look like they are working, but once I put them in my unwired Ring Doorbells, they go dead. If I immediately plug them back into the charger, they show the empty light pattern of red and yellow. But give them a few hours and they go green. But once I try to use them, they are again dead.

I cannot believe that the used and brand new battery just broke at the same time. I am getting infuriated.

My Ring 2 also started draining a couple weeks ago. Yes, it is in a cold climate but it was colder earlier in December and it was fine. Been watching it go down, down and down and then today, voila, full charge! Hoping even though they did not admit there was a problem that Ring has fixed the problem.

For Ring folk reading this who are still going to say it is the weather, no, it was not any warmer today than its been the past couple weeks, in fact, it’s colder!

Wait what it charged ?

Mine is at 3% and I need to re charge again. I charged 1 week ago. And we have warm weather since yesterday. I’m still hardwired but it’s not charging .

Anybody know of a way to inspect the firmware version?

They must of rolled out something to fix it or a new firmware, as mine has been draining for about two months and then all of a sudden it started charging agin this morning… and its 8 above out. So its not the weather as they claim. Hope this fixes everyone else’s issues also.

1 Like

@Wejay5 wrote:

They must of rolled out something to fix it or a new firmware, as mine has been draining for about two months and then all of a sudden it started charging agin this morning… and its 8 above out. So its not the weather as they claim. Hope this fixes everyone else’s issues also.

Apparently they say it’ll charge once it’s about 4C. The issue is last year it didn’t matter if it’s was above or below 4C, the device’s lasted the entire winter without the battery completely dying.