Ring doorbell not charging

I’ve attached the corporate office number in my screenshot. If they don’t care then there’s no use posting here.

I noticed “Person Detection” is now an option. When did that start and is it cloud or Edge AI (on the camera)? If the detection algorithm is running on the camera that could partially or fully explain the battery depletion issue

2 Likes

Thanks for your assistance. I’ll stop posting and answering ! Just ripped off all my rings and gold to garbage! I’m done … don’t need a non working unit. Will install something that works … even the Cheapest Chinese third category, works better. I’m giving Wyze a shot … I already have couple of them installed , I’ll try their door bell. Cheers

Mines a couple years old and just started doing it. I feel pretty sure it’s a firmware issue. Sounds like it’s using more power than it used to, so for those who charge it doesn’t last as long, and for those hardwired it uses more than it can charge.

2 Likes

I still think it’s Person Detection. I suspect it’s running on the camera (like how Xnor.ai was running on wyze cameras) and it’s increased on camera processor usage, thus increasing the battery drain. My guess is Ring (Amazon) pushes it out to get ahead of the Person Detection tech and didn’t properly test it.

2 Likes

gees with all these issues I’m going to have a go with the Swann Smart Videdo Doorbell.

I’m torn. Because I have Ring floodlight cameras and Ring alarm system. I want to stay within this ecosystem for simplicity, but my faith is being tested with issues such as this.

Ring. Just admit you goofed and let us know the next step please.

I went for the pro. No batteries to deal with. Got it on sale for $129. Very happy now.

I initially did that too, way back, but I do not have a power supply beside my door and the Pro, didn’t work the same way the doorbell 2 did. So I was obliged by their support to change to Bell2 … glad you’re happy. Unfortunately not everyone has the ability , because of technicalities, to use the pro!

I removed and reinstalled my ring 2. Stripped the wires so fresh copper was making the connection. Now it says my power status is Very Good. However I also charged the battery to full via USB cable so it may be reporting that based solely on the battery voltage. Will have to see.

@Troyeatl wrote:

I removed and reinstalled my ring 2. Stripped the wires so fresh copper was making the connection. Now it says my power status is Very Good. However I also charged the battery to full via USB cable so it may be reporting that based solely on the battery voltage. Will have to see.

I pulled the battery and charged it fully 100% 2 nights ago. The app shows:

Power Source: Hardwired
Power Status: Very Good

Solar Charger Status: Connected (note it’s not on a solar charger).

It’s now at 96% and continuing to drop. If Ring’s “solution” is that it’s too cold, then this thing is worthless in all of Canada and the northern parts of the USA. My subscription runs out in May, at that time if this isn’t resolved I’m pulling the camera, selling it, and waiting for Wyze.

1 Like

@Troyeatl Not going to be resolved, they are trying to sell you solar powered plates and or change to a different model. Coz it was working for 3 years flawless and they did it on purpose to limit charging … 2019 Christmas time. I also says hard wired and still
Drops % like crazy.

Ok I think I got the answer! Just finished talking to Ring Chat. My firmware was updated Jan 9 and in that updated included On Device Person Detection! So that’s completely the source of the problem! On device Person Detection would require more CPU Cycles, which would require more power!

Everyone complain to Ring and ask to get a developer to look at their device as it appears the latest firmware is causing battery drain issues. I would rather not have person detection than have to manually charge my battery every month

1 Like

I wonder if turning that off in Smart Alerts would help then?

@Troyeatl wrote:

I wonder if turning that off in Smart Alerts would help then?

I asked if it can be turned off and Ring Chat said “There’s no way to disable the person-detection in the RIng app but I can add it to my note so that they can check it.”

I’ve turned that off, lowered to minimal detection, turned off motion alerts. Even ring alerts , hard wired , RSSI-44 and still same!

Doubt it. I ha e ring classic and pro. My pro is fine. My classic brand new 2 weeks old.wired to a brand new 24v 40va. Charged to 100. Shows hardwired meter says 30va at plate. Yet installed and 3 days later in hovering at 93% I don’t have the people option on mine.

@Bmerdinian wrote:
I’ve turned that off, lowered to minimal detection, turned off motion alerts. Even ring alerts , hard wired , RSSI-44 and still same!

Because I don’t think Person Detection can be turned off on the device. It’s always running regardless if you enable the People Only Mode or not. The People Only Mode simply tells the app to only notify you if a person was detected, not enable Person Detection. It’s a notification filter.

@mdoyle845845 wrote:
I don’t have the people option on mine.

If you have the People Only Mode availabe in Smart Alerts, then Person Detection has been installed on your device.

I’ve had my ring doorbell with solar plate for a few years with no problems. In January, I got a notification that the battery is low. Ok, so thought it was the season and not getting enough sunlight so charged it. Lasted about 3 weeks and the battery died. Thought that the batteries were toast but came to the forum and found this thread. Hmmm…