Ring doorbell not charging

bobbetts, I’m glad you were able to fix your issue, but when you already had everything working fine for you, for 2.5 years and suddenly doesn’t charge anymore, without touching anything, what’s your solution? They changed something on their end. Look how many people have the same issue… this doesn’t make sense…

2 Likes

I agree it doesn’t make sense. Charged up doorbell, connected it, said hardwired until I went out of the app, now back to saying battery. All was perfect before Xmas. Come on Ring take some notice & sort it out. Will certainly not be buying any more Ring products til this is done.

1 Like

If the weather is cold the battery will NOT take a charge from the hard wiring according to searches I have been doing. As far as I am concerned this is a fault of Ring for cold weather climates and is TOTALLY unacceptable. I have spoken to 4 people with cheap imitations and their doorbells are working find and dont need charging and dont stop in -20 weather. Ring should have an update so the batteries will charge in ANY weather. Sorry the reply is kind of negative to the user but I have complained and am totally fed up. Will not buy another Ring product and will NOT recommend to anyone. Thanks for listening Neighbor as they call us.

1 Like

That also doesn’t make sense , because I used it for 2.5 consecutive years and I had 0 issues. They changed something on their end! After Christmas 2019! That’s all. @Ring, fix it!

1 Like

Hi . Has there been any response/update from Ring with regards to this prob. I was just about to purchase one with the intent to hardwire.

1 Like

Not really, at least no solution. They keep saying they will refer it to their design people. It is extremely annoying. Everyone else can make it work but not Ring. What is the point in hardwiring if you still have to remove the battery to recharge all the time in cold weather. Very unhappy to be honest and would NOT buy another Ring product. There are others out there without the same problems and cheaper.

1 Like

Just got a notification of three new features. Then I find out I have to pay for them I don’t care about new features I want my doorbell to work the way it was supposed to when I bought it.

What do I have to do to get a replacement I’ve only had it a few months.

Same issue here. Ring 2 been working fine for past few years. I noticed it went offline a month or two ago. Finally got around to looking into it today and found the battery completely dead. Measured the wires on the back and get 20V AC. _ _

Charged the battery inside for an hour or so, put it back in and the doorbell powered up. I had to reconnect it to WiFi. It started getting a firmware update, so hoping whatever problem that happened with previous firmware is fixed in this version. However, the power status says its losing power.

1 Like

I am told that anything under 0 degrees Celsius the battery will not charge. This is total insanity, and definitely a design flaw of major proportions. Many things charge at any temperature when hooked up to external power source. WHO THE HELL INVENTED THIS CRAP.

1 Like

Been about 60 here most of the past few months so my particular issue is not temp.

IMO they screwed up something and are not fessing up, presumably due to all the other bad press

2 Likes

Absolutely right and they do not want to admit! Good part is , I Have bought extended warranties on all my rings! I paid yearly, so screw it, I’m changing my products as much as it takes :slight_smile: I’m calling support everyday and keep getting new products.

Dear ring,

Let’s go ahead and and make an effort to test people’s claims that the Ring doorbell is not charging and stop with the scripted responses. I am sure that the admin responders have made no effort to at least test the claims or at least follow with R&D on this. I’ve had my ring for a year and I can tell you that it’s worked great until recently. First of all, I understand that you can’t change the chemistry of lithium via a firmware update and that the Ring 2 is designed for simple installation vs the Ring Pro which can require additional hardware at the transformer end. I get the logic behind the wiring scheme and you can’t have a direct short circuit to the doorbell without some circuit board logic behind that. With that said, I can assure you that ring is fully capable of a firmware update that can either modifying the code that controls the charging circuit, or fix the firmware update that’s milking more power than the ring is capable of replenishing.

I’ve had ring for the past year. I live in North Dakota and I can assure you that it gets cold here and I know the limitations of the Ring in this weather. There are several rings in this neighborhood and I’ve never heard any complaints about it’s functionality during winter. First of all, my ring will shut down when it’s -5 F. I get this and I’m ok with that. It’s not uncommon for me to reach -20 to -30 F. I installed my ring when it was -20 and I’ll tell ya…it’s a challenge when you don’t have gloves on. When it’s that cold, ring just doesn’t work and it’s understandable. You know it’s cold when all fluids including the steering fluid in my vehicle get stiff and the foam in the seat is harder than usual. But I have never once had a problem that caused my ring battery to stop charging. In that time it has always maintained a charge no less than 98 percent. However, last week I noticed that my ring charge was at 10 percent. This seemed highly unusual as there has been no unusual weather, use, or activity beyond what I have experienced in the past year. It’s been cold, but no more than has been in the past. I ended up removing the battery and charging indoors. After several hours it was fully charged and and I replaced it into the doorbell. The next couple of days we had 40+ degree weather (a whole 60 degrees warmer…heatwave!). In those couple of days and with no unusual activation of the camera, I observed 2 or 3 percent battery loss per day. 40+ degrees and I’m losing battery. That is far from typical and normal behavior outlined in the product specs and I would appreciate if somebody would take accountability and at least follow up on this. Also take some time to read the book QBQ. You might learn something about accountability and going above and beyond like we do in my part of the country. Thank you for your consideration and time.

The End.

7 Likes

I wonder also if all this crap has happened since Ring sold to Amazon. I bought my unit long after the changeover and have only had it a few months. Perhaps Amazon is trying to recoup their purchase cost by scimping on value of the units and the circuitry. Just a guess.

Add another to the list of affected people. I’ve been using it for over a year through the winter, no issues. Tried to tell someone at my door it was open and to just come in and discovered it wasn’t working. Looks like the last notification was Jan 30, 2020 and the battery was completely dead!

I’m in Australia, we Are in Summer. My doorbell is doing the exact same thing, it won’t charge at all, I’m not hardwired, I rely on charging, and have noticed that I have had to charge it a lot more than usual over the past few months (like every couple of weeks) now it won’t charge at all. It’s been plugged in for 24hrs and hasn’t moved from 2%

Same issue that others have reported. Have had the original video doorbell hardwired since December 2018. Have had no issues. App showed 100% or close all the time. I have noticed it dropping over the past 2 months. Then I got the low battery notification. Brought it inside to charge and it would only charge to 93%. Stuck it back outside and it dropped 5% overnight. Brought it in to charge again to see if I could get it to 100% this time and it did get there. Stuck it back outside and it dropped 5% in the past two hours. I don’t buy the weather excuse. I’m in the midwest but it’s been a much milder winter than last year, when I had zero problems. Ring needs to fix this!!! Its ridiculous that apparently I’m going to have to bring it inside to charge every few days. Not happy!

Yeah don’t bother . They don’t even answer anymore. I’m really started to suspect that this is all Pre planned ! No loyalty at all to clients.

Would have to agree, this issue is being ignored. Same story here, had the Ring doorbell since the Fall of 2018 and now battery is not charging. Dropped to 3% and stopped working. I figured the battery was bad. Ordered a new battery and charged it. Put in the new battery and it is losing charge just like the old one. It is showing the hardwire and heaith is good.

Extremely disappointing.

1 Like

Yup, yet there is no one to answer our complaints , at this point , Let’s do a collective agreement complaint … and sign it.

1 Like