Ring doorbell not charging

I just went through an entire day trying to figure out why I was having the same issue. I have the correct transformer, wires all in place… it was not until I was about to give up that I replace the unit back onto the bracket and PUSHED really hard. I admit I was frustrated. It worked. Why? Because it was not making solid contact. The bracket was slightly twisted. When I pushed down to place it back on the bracket, it went on tighter than ever before. The white light came on. The app said “hardwired”. PTL it worked.

5 Likes

i called today. was told on there end (rings) my ring doorbells showed 100% on battery. I explained the app on both my android device & windows 10 pc show it as 91. since install it has gone down. i have everything shut off. been about 50F here. may i add new line ran. connected to a 24v 40Va. tested with my multi at the mount plate. recieving 30 volts. so its not my end. camera is band new a week old. happy i have the top plan. cause you guy will be replacing this at some point.

I’m having the same problem with my ring 2 device. The one on the front door works great the one I just installed on the back door is Not holding the charge.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. I have had my Ring doorbell for a few years and it is hard wired. I have never had a low battery until now.

2 Likes

I think the problem is the app itself. Mine’s hardwired and the battery has been going down and the app says the battery is at 83% so I just brought the video camera in to charge it but when I plug it in to charge it all of the blue segments are lit up inticating a full charge.

Update: after 5 minutes it’s now charging as if it’s at 83% so it seems that hardwiring my video doorbell is just for the light ring around the doorbell button.

RING!!, Please address this issue and not with a canned response. I apologize for sounding rude but this is a wide spread problem that isn’t being addressed and I’m very frustrated. The whole reason I went with Ring instead of the other guys is from what I had read before purchasing Ring was the way to go. Please prove me right!! The very least I hope I can get a replacement unit. By the way I live in Central Florida and it’s been warm.

3 Likes

I have been using ring door bell 2 for 3 years now, never had any single issue charging, 2-3 month ago, I started having the same thing and I have NOT changed anything in my install, since everything was working great! Something is wrong !!!

3 Likes

3 years and I had 0 issues, I live in canada and we get -40 degrees sometimes, the other days very very cold :slight_smile: welcome to canada, late 2019 something happened, we are not sheep! Also, something happened in front of my house and unfortunately, the battery was drained and I didn’t know, why, because everything worked great and I never had an issue! So I was surprised that my battery is at 0, same thing as you, how I have to charge every 2 weeks. Ring, FIX IT!

I live in Canada and for 3 consecutive years I had 0 issues, suddenly late 2019 I see power source battery, even though I’m hard wired, what you’re saying probably makes sense but that’s BS to me and ring should not do that, I lost 2 important happenings and I rely on ring for securely, that’s garbage ! I’m buying nest. That’s it for me. And like you, advising for people to stay away from ring. I own 3 Facebook groups with 100,000+ followers, I will make a difference.

2 Likes

Ring, you can’t have this many customers having the same issue that previously never had this problem, obvioulsly there is an issue on your end. Let us know you are working on an answer.

3 Likes

Their answer is , it’s cold … when other people having the same issue in Florida and Texas. So go figure. Check their Facebook page, it’s even worse.

When I talked to customer support last week, they had me basically reboot the whole thing and take the battery out, disconnect, etc. Once I was finished, IT WORKED–once! The second time again it went to no charging.

It seems that it fails to accept the electricity coming from the hardwire. I read somewhere that it installs the latest update available when it is activated by someone ringing or motion.

It is possible that when I “rebooted” it, it went back to factory original software and accepted power but once it was rung and installed again the latest software, it failed.

I am going to try customer service one more time and see if they can connect me to a technical person rather than someone reading a manual.

If someone else has any other ideas, let me know.

Yup, good luck with that, been there done that 2 times already and not only they read manuals and scrips , but they have no clue what they’re doing … this comes from a beta tester ! Ring is going down hard. Time to change

55f here today. Still not charging. Still at 91% hooked to a 24v 40va 30volt at terminals. Cold my but. It’s 55.should be charging.

1 Like

mdoyle845845 I hear you, doesn’t make sense at all! And as you see, they don’t even answer us.

Neighbors- I’m reading this post and it seems as if cold weather is the main culprit here. If you wish for more in depth troubleshooting, please call our support team at 800-656-1918. However, this sounds like expected behavior. Please review these articles for more information:

Also, if your device says battery instead of hardwired, make sure that everything is properly set up by following this help article.

Please also refer to our Community Guidelines and ensure that you are following them when posting. If you need help, please ask as we’d love to get your device up and running to its full potential. Please note, we will not tolerate negative behavior.

55 degrees isn’t extreme cold. And people in Texas report same issue. It’s not cold there either.

1 Like

Jennifer I am not buying this it’s been in the upper 40s the past 2 days, if this is considered extreme cold you have a serious problem. My unit is hard wired and only gets up to a max of 16% charged. I’ve never experienced this in the past 2 years.

1 Like

I spoke to Ring support last week and they told me this:

at 0C the battery will not charge

at -3C the battery may discharge quicker

at -20 the unit may stop operating.

My issue with this is that when they sent me this my unit was reporting 87% the next day it was reading 96% even though it had been below -5C all night and day, then over the weekend when it was in the low “pluses” it started discharging again. So right after talking to support the device started charging again even though the temp was below the “charging” temp of 0C.

They offered me a replacement but I think that is a waste of time and effort, I don’t think the issue is hardware.

Li-Ion batteries are not supposed to be charged below freezing becuase it can permenantly damage them, but there doesn’t seem to be any rythme or reason to why this issues is happening. A lot of people are having similar issues when well above freezing and some are seeing charging at below 0.

What Ring really should do (other then fix the issue) is add a battery temp reading into their app, maybe in the device health with an option to update it and maybe some sort history. Even better, along with that some sort a note that shows up when the battery drops below a certain temp alerting people that it may not be charging. This way if people are having problems with charging they can see exactly what the battery temp is and has been and prove to Ring that the problem is not weather related.

I suggested something like this to them a few years ago but of course it was never done, probably because this would then take away their primary method of brushing customers off.

1 Like

Same here Peter_B running flawless for 3 years and suddenly I’m on battery. I’m hard wired and had to change the transformer , just in case. Since day one that I installed and never had problems. I till late 2019!

2 Likes

Also having the same problem. Was fine and showing hardwired all the time until after Xmas. Now running off battery. Spoke to ring who frustratingly kept telling me the same thing and basically saying it wasn’t and never was hardwired and that the charge would last months. I’m not in a super cold place at the moment so definitely not that. I’m now having to charge the battery once a week which wasn’t what I wanted. I paid someone to hardwire the doorbell and have a picture of it saying hardwired.

They don’t seem to know what they’re talking about and just repeat the same script all the time until you hang up. It’s not much of a security thing when you have to take it off for hours to charge and you’ve no doorbell at all.

Sorry for the rant but it’s so annoying thatRing won’t address the problem. At least say we’re aware of it and we trying to find a solution.

Even on this forum they’re answering the same way. It’s the weather!!

2 Likes