Ring doorbell not charging

So a 24 volt ac power supply will charge the battery in version 1 ring?

Thanks

I am having the same issue

I’m pretty sure something has happened since a recent firmware update. My ring doorbell 1 has been wired and always stayed at 100%. It’s now starting to drop following a recent update.

19 Likes

Mine too is hardwired and doesn’t charge the battery. I have to bring mine inside and charge just like before it was hardwired.

2 Likes

My doorbell no longer shows being hardwired. I don’t know if it’s the hardware or the software that’s the problem but Ring needs to address this issue. Considering getting a Nest Hello video doorbell and be done with these problems.

8 Likes

Hey neighbors! If you are having a concern still with your doorbell not charging when hardwired, and you’ve visited the help articles I’ve linked in my previous posts, it may be best to reach out to our support team at 1-800-656-1918! They can help you out and take a deep look into this with further troubleshooting.

You are stating what your sales literature says “will” happen without replying to the question as to what is actually happening. I have 20.6 volts ac at the terminals of my Ring doorbell but it will not charge. The Ring app is telling me it is operating off battery power. Please, for me and all the others with this problem, offer a solution or you will surely be receiving thousands of these units back for a refund.

18 Likes

When I called customer service about this problem they acted like they didn’t know what I was talking about. Seems they don’t really care. I think I might be looking at a Google nest hello video doorbell.

10 Likes

Having a similar issue here, just noticed it this week. I’ve had my Ring Doorbell for over a year and it has never dropped below 99%. All of a sudden this week I noticed it was down into the low 80s. I monitored it during the week but it just kept dropping even though the app shows it is hardwired and getting power. I even swapped the battery out for one from my spotlight cam that was fully charged and it’s doing the same thing so the issue isn’t the battery. This is definately something that Ring has changed recently, likely a firmware update, dissapointing that they won’t come out and admit it and haven’t released a fix. With all the problems Ring is facing in the media you would think they would be trying to go out of their way to keep their customers not brushing them off.

14 Likes

I’m going to buy the Nest Hello video doorbell. Most of my smart things are Google anyways.

5 Likes

Same issue here. Doorbell died completely, then I had to pull it off to charge via USB. Once i put it back on, it said hardwired, but battery % has been dropping every day. Just got off the phone with customer support and they had no recomendations/didn’t understand what I was explaining the them. Told me it was due to being cold outside and to call back when it dies.

3 Likes

Same here but in addition, the doorbell chime is not “chiming”.

I took it apart and reinstalled it but with no results.

4 Likes

2 doorbell cameras here. 1 is new, other is few years old. Both hardwired. Different houses. NEVER had an issue. Late 2019 both cameras are draining out. Agree on firmware update or some other developer changes. Perhaps the scanning is increased which is sucking more power. Either way, I’m disappointed that I have to bring these in now to charge every few weeks. These cams have been through -20/-30C with no fail (worst I ever observed was 92% charge in the extreme cold). Now they constantly drain and can’t build up a charge.

Spot light cam works excellent, charges beautifully with the solar panel.

Whatever they changed needs to be looked at. Cold weather is not a good reason.

6 Likes

Agreed. I’ve seen the cold cause the camera to stop functioning but have never seen it stop the battery from charging. We’re only between -10 and 10 C here now and it is still dropping. We had a cold snap not long ago where we had -30 to -40 and the camera stopped working but I expect that as it happens every year, every time it gets that cold, and this issue started long before that as the battery was already down into the 80% range by that time. Until the last couple months I had never seen the battery below 98-99% even when we hit -30 to -40 in previous years. I have never seen the camera fail to charge so long as it was warm enough to be operational. Saying it is the cold is a cop out from ring and they need to get their heads out of their rear ends and give us an explanation and fix.

1 Like

I had my Ring 2 for less than three weeks and was hardwired and the battery went dead! Why do we hardwire them if they aren’t taking a charge from the hardrwire? I was told by support that this was as designed! i was also told that the specs say not to use below feezing! I told the lady she was crazy its a doorbell, half the country is colder than 32 degrees half the year! Se said you wouldnt expect your cel phone battery to last out in the cold, i told her my cel phone was never designed to be out in the cold 7/24 but a doorbell is!

Needless to say bought a Nest and will be sending back our Doorbell 2 to Amazon today. Glad it was before outr30days was up with Amazon for a full refund. FYI Their specs call for much broader range of temp than the Door Bell 2 does. No battery to worry about either it get all of its power from your doorbell.

According to wikipedia and other sources LiIon batteries can be permenatly damaged by charging below freezing. Ring’s own FAQ states that their Battery powered doorbells and Camera’s operate between -20 and +50 C, we’ve been around -10 to +10 C here the last week or so and I’m not seeing any charging or not enough to notice.

If I had to hazard a guess I would suggest that Ring adjusted the latest firmware to stop the batteries from charging below freezing in order to avoid damage. I know for a fact that this was not always the case as I have not had this issue in previous winters however it does make sense.

That said it would be nice if Ring gave people a heads up on this and/or made mention of it in their FAQ (assuming this is the cause). Most companies put out release notes when they update their firmware so that customers can see what was changed and know what to expect, where are Ring’s release notes for their firmware? I’ve looked and have not been able to find them. And if this is the case then why isn’t Ring support explaining this to people instead of just saying it’s too cold.

Of course the problem here is that if they admit that their products have reduced functionality anytime the weather drops below freezing (i.e. batteries won’t charge) they have basically eliminated themselves from the 50% of the U.S. and 100% of Canada which can see below freezing temps.

To be honest I have generally been happy with the Ring products, when they work they seem to be really good. However between this support (or lack thereof) and all the security issues in the past little bit I am advising people to reconsider and look at other options.

4 Likes

I’m having the same problem in SOUTH FLORIDA. No problem with freezing. I talked to customer service today and after multiple fixes, hardwired charging started again—-only to stop after a few minutes. Will try customer service again tomorrow

1 Like

So I contacted them by Facebook and their response was…wait for it…yup it is too cold. Apparently the trickle charge can only provide a maximum of 10% power per day and since I have lost 2.5% per day I must be losing 10-15% per day total with an average of 1 activation per day. Because that makes sense, or not. So then something is causing the device to use significantly more power then it ever use to or there’s a problem with it charging. Then they have the gall to tell me that my device is working as expected. I have found a number of posts stating that rolling back the firmware has fixed the issue so I am asking for instructions on how to do that and prevent it from updating again, maybe that will work. I mentioned to them that someone in South Florida was having the same issue so this idea that it’s the weather is just rediculos. There’s a problem here somewhere and either they don’t want to admit or are too stupid to figure it out.

2 Likes

I just went through an entire day trying to figure out why I was having the same issue. I have the correct transformer, wires all in place… it was not until I was about to give up that I replace the unit back onto the bracket and PUSHED really hard. I admit I was frustrated. It worked. Why? Because it was not making solid contact. The bracket was slightly twisted. When I pushed down to place it back on the bracket, it went on tighter than ever before. The white light came on. The app said “hardwired”. PTL it worked.

5 Likes

i called today. was told on there end (rings) my ring doorbells showed 100% on battery. I explained the app on both my android device & windows 10 pc show it as 91. since install it has gone down. i have everything shut off. been about 50F here. may i add new line ran. connected to a 24v 40Va. tested with my multi at the mount plate. recieving 30 volts. so its not my end. camera is band new a week old. happy i have the top plan. cause you guy will be replacing this at some point.