Ring doorbell not charging (NOT SOLVED!)

I am also having this issue AND my Ring is abroad. No security from the system I purchased for security!

Update -

My Ring doorbell has once again started to recharge while being hardwirded. I modified my setting so that the Snapshot Capture feature was now turned off. It is a nice feature to have but what good is it if the doorbell is not able to recharge. That was the only modification that I made to my settings and since the doorbell appears to be charging correctly. I would be nice if Ring would notify you when they have updated the firmware on the device as well as for you to be able to see which version of firmware you are using so one could identify if there is a firmware issue or if something else is going on. For now I am just glad that it is functioning.

1 Like

Same issue as everyone else. Spoke with Ring Support and their suggestion is to lower the motion frequency to light. As per her explanation you wont receive notifications between a 2 minute time frame of an event. So I told her within 2 minutes anything can happen as I advised her a couple of months ago(same as when everyone started to experiencing the same problem)this started to happen. Prior to that I had all the new settings they pushed per updates/firmware and my frequency is always set to Standard. I asked her is this the resolution Ring is telling everyone that calls in for this problem? She said its just an advise…so I tell her if Ring is pushing all these new features and everyone is complaining its something on your end and not ours. Makes you only think maybe I should’ve used a real security system with its own base station to record events.

Turning off snapshot capture seems to do the trick!

I have been having problems since March and called Ring support 3 times without getting a stable fix. Now stable for 24 hours on hard wired plus the doorbell actually rings.

Thanks.

i have gen1 and now says its battery and not hard wired like it said for the last 4 years and and it will not ring indoor chime

Interesting problem. We purchased 2 new Ring3 and one of them gets lots of activity. It ran through a battery in about 2.5 days. We purchased an extra battery. Changes continued to be at about 2.5 days regardless of setting all motion off.

Purchased a ring 16v 30 doorbell transformer and ran wire into the steel/glass door to the doorbell. Also purchased a resistor as called for and installed all.

Noticed that with hardware power the light stayed on always. Without external power the light only remains on for a brief time then off normal.

Battery began running down faster with external power. Now it would lose video and require a battery swap before leaving the 2nd day. No activity at night.

Called support. Indicated the external power only adds 1% per day. If that is true then the light always on function uses more than 1% per day based on our results.

Support indicated a trade in value could be applied to purchasing the no battery Ring Pro model. Ring pro does not come with wedges. We used wedge to aim Ring3 slightly up. We had to purchase wedge kit also in addition to the upcharge for the Ring Pro swap.

Ring Pro is now installed and working. Still, after seeing these claims that power issues started after a firmware update causes me to wonder if that light always on problem should not have happened and it was some error in firmware.

Will never know because it is back to the factory for Ring 3. An extremely costly and time wasting series of events. The install is very difficult where it is located so the amount of time invested is something we never would have done if we had known in the first place. All the reading I could find never mentioned that they expected the connection of the doorbell transformer to have such a tiny impact nor does it describe the light then being stuck on and from what I experienced causing the battery to drain faster than before spending several hours running electrical to the doorbell. Oh well, hopefully someone planning a similar installation will notice one of these and decide to make the right decision first. We were tugged into it so that we already had time invested before each step forward.

Makes me wonder if your description of software change triggering events applies to this device as well.

Also, the Ring Pro seems to have lower resolution but I guess if we don’t have to change the battery every 2 days we can accept the lower resolution

@ArroyoOaks wrote:

. We had to purchase wedge kit also in addition to the upcharge for the Ring Pro swap.

Ring Pro is now installed and working. Still, after seeing these claims that power issues started after a firmware update causes me to wonder if that light always on problem should not have happened and it was some error in firmware.

Will never know because it is back to the factory for Ring 3. An extremely costly and time wasting series of events. The install is very difficult where it is located so the amount of time invested is something we never would have done if we had known in the first place. All the reading I could find never mentioned that they expected the connection of the doorbell transformer to have such a tiny impact nor does it describe the light then being stuck on and from what I experienced causing the battery to drain faster than before spending several hours running electrical to the doorbell. Oh well, hopefully someone planning a similar installation will notice one of these and decide to make the right decision first. We were tugged into it so that we already had time invested before each step forward.

Makes me wonder if your description of software change triggering events applies to this device as well.

Still having this problem in July. At least mine seems to stay at whatever % but will not charge. Used to charge just fine.

Also have this problem, it is a new issue- nothing has changed with the wiring. Shows “hardwired” but still no charge, mine stays at whatever percent (currently 50%)

I am Also having the same issue with my ring doorbell battery not holding a charge and therefore draining rapidly. The ring is less than 2 years old and I have had the issue for some months now. The only solution I was given by the support team was to purchase another device. After voicing my dissatisfaction with that response I was offered a discount on a new device. Really??? Why pour more money into a company that sells defective products that only last for 1 year!

I had the same problem and resigned myself to having to have two batteries so I could quickly swap them over. I did my first swap 10 days ago and the newly purchased battery is still showing 100%. For now, the problem seems to be fixed, apparently by a new battery. So I’m completely confused now. Is it possible that some batteries are failing to accept an in situ charge? I have a Ring 2 with the recommended resistor installed in line with a hard wired supply, which didn’t solve the issue.

Well, I have the same not charging problem and have read through the masses of comments here. Everyone, including me, seem to be able to charge the doorbell via the mini USB plug. SO, has anyone hardwired 5 volts to the USB plug to bypass the AC power input ?? I’ve put mine on USB charge (again), and as far as I can tell, everything functions while charging, so why not run it on 5V ? OK not everyone can do this mod but it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Had my doorbell less than a week and find myself dealing with this crap… Why did I bother? I actually paid a qualified electrician to hardwire my device so no matter what I do now I’m going to end up out of pocket.

My ring doorbell charges only till 92%. Its been like this for months. I removed it from the wall and charge it with a usb cable but it just wont go above 92% even the lights on the button shows that its 100% charged. Whats my next step? Is it possible to show fault percentage?

@wpgcan wrote:
I’m starting a new thread because Ring chose to mark the last in-depth discussion as Solved when this problem IS NOT SOLVED!

They forced a new firmware to these devices which stop them from charging unless you live in the tropics. Spend countless hours troubleshooting, spending more money upgrading the transformer, wiring, all which did not solve the problem. Ring now states their product will not charge in the cold and they have disabled charging to the device. Guess what? That hardwire doesn’t actually power the doorbell, it CHARGES THE BATTERY THAT CANT CHARGE BECAUSE THEY DISABLED IT.

Get your sh*t together Ring! We have already pinpointed it to when your firmware was released that caused the issue, and you have not once acknowledged a problem or tried to be of assistance.

Add me to the list of Ring doorbell ‘battery drain’ but with a twist. I live in AZ and cold weather is obviously not the culprit. My battery was draining about 4-5% per day and not recharging after the latest update. It is hardwired and I changed the older 16v -10 transformer to a 16v-30 transformer to see if that would work. It did not. I called Ring and of course, my doorbell was out of warranty so I needed a new doorbell is what the rep said. My reply, “Why not just a battery”?

The rep offered to send a battery without a charge for the battery or shipping. That was nice news. Then she escalated my battery drain problem to one of the consultants to see what the problem could be. Apparently the consultant found a solution because within two days my battery went from 75% to 100% and has been at that level since (about 10 days and counting).

Here is what the rep sent me in an email:

Good day! I received feedback from one of our consultants regarding your concern. Please reply to this email at your most convenient time to follow up. Please know that we are committed to providing you the highest level of service. Thank you for contacting Ring! For more information, please visit ring.com or our online help at support.ring.com.

I don’t know what magic they performed on my doorbell but the battery went from needing to be removed and charged about every 15 days to remaining at full capacity after the feedback from the consultant. It has bounced between 98% and 100% and I have everything pretty much maxed out in the app including the people detection. Maybe it was just a coincidence but somehow I don’t think so.

Good luck everyone.

Maybe Solved???

1 Like

Hi, starting having battery drain on my brand new Ring3, stayed 100% for a few days then started slowly drain battery.
I have a silly question, i’m not really handy, so do i need to put the washer in between the head of the screw and the wire or head of the screw then wire and then washer touching the back of the bell?

Same issue in south Florida. Not cold tho

Ring 2 purchased November 2019 battery is no longer charging. I recharged the original battery twice & even purchased a new battery. Regardless of which freshly charged battery is placed in the doorbell it reads that it is not charged with a battery level of 6%.

My Ring2 device is not hardwired only battery as the home is 95 years old and no wiring is available for a doorbell. All was working well until late July.

It would be nice to know when we should anticipate either a correction via new Firmware and/or a replacement doorbell that is fully operational?

1 Like

Adding my voice to this. Same issue here with Ring Doorbell in California (where it’s definitly not cold). Shows hardwired (with full voltage as measured with multimeter), but battery percentage dropped to 6%. Did a full recharge with USB charger, but dropping again every day.

Yes having the same issue …