Ring doorbell not charging (NOT SOLVED!)

Just out in a new transformer.

Ring appears to be charging, however after 5 minutes the blue light disappeared.

And the unit still not working.

iOS app had an update. I don’t know if firmware updates automatically, but NOW IT CHARGES!!! 99% battery. Thank you!

My Ring doorbell1 battery no longer will take a recharge. This happened after I ordered a Solar Charging mount for my doorbell.

Can I replace the battery? If not, I want to return the solar charger as it is only used on the ols Ring1 doorbell.

Called community support and after going through some standard steps - the call was referred to an “advanced technical department” to update the firmware. A few hours later, the device switched to hardwired and 12 hours later still ok. Hopefully solved.

So…my RIng2 is new. Replaced the old button, verified the voltage at it [20v] and got it working. Then a day later - battery dead. Took it out, charged it fully, redid the device setup. And dead battery again in one day. Took out battery, charged manually and after fully charged one more setup. Again dead in 24 hours. This time I turned off all detection when I inserted the newly charged battery. Only got 36 hours out of it. WHAT IS THE POINT OF BUYING THIS?!? I get it could be temp related [I do live in NH] but this is absurd. Why does this unit not run off the 20v from the transformer and use the battery part to support system info? Seriously… this is crap engineering going on here… I can see it and I am just a girl! LOL

I spoke too soon. The ring dropped from being hardwired after 48 hours and is now back to showing battery only. Now awaiting a callback from the “advanced technical department”…

My ring doorbell has always been “hardwired”, but suddenly switched to “battery” about 2-3 months ago. I have charged the unit for 2 days and the app shows battery at 100%. When reconnecting, device shows battery level at 16%. I have tried charging/reinstalling the device at least a dozen times over the past few weeks. I have tried all methods of fixing the hardwire connection including replacing base plate, and all wiring (all products purchased from Ring.com) without success. Very frustrating as this unit had been hardwired for the past several years without issue. Has my device gone bad?

I’ve just noticed the same problem. My ring doorbell is hardwired and have never had any battery low percentage. I live in Monterrey, Mexico and the weather here is extremely hot (98 fahrenheit), so I don’t think the cold weather is the only issue or the issue at all.

Still have not heard anything as of 05-23-20. Issue still not resolved.

My unit is brand new and same issue. I put it together without charging the battery just to set it up. It had 17% and it never did charge.

I manually charged it to 50% later and that also has not charged. It also doesn’t seem to drain which is odd.

Lot of money paid for it not to work out of the box?

So after checking back after a few hours, the battery is going down…so it is not charging. Now what? I have a $200 device that doesn’t function properly out of the box? Is it defective or if I return for replacement will I have the same issue?

Is there no direct support from Ring? All the options lead to the community…are you kidding me?

Edit 2:

I just turned of the SNAPSHOT feature where it takes photos between motion and immediately my battery went from 41 to 42%

If it starts charging now…then I found the issue (coul djust be coincidence that it went up 1%)

Nope it went back to 41% wasn’t it.

Hello.

I have the same draining problem.

I received the new Ring 3 on its release date, April 8,2020.

From day 1 the the HDR setting would turn off…not yet solved.

There are two ways of hooking up your wires to the doorbell. (not including solar charger) Both ways will read “hardwired” on your app. Most “hardwired” are hooked up using the the two exiting wires with no further configuration. I changed my wiring directly to a 24volt transformer using the required Ring resistor. My transformer has enough power to feed many Ring doorbells together.

About 1 week ago there was an update from version 5.25.0 to version 5.26.1. Since this new update my battery is also draining. I watched it slowly drain and getting warnings the battery was getting critically low, although my battery icon was at 100% value. I did not charge battery because I wanted to see what would happen at the “0” level.

At 3% my Ring device went dark…even though the battery icon was at 100%. I spoke to tech support and he seemed totally surprised. He then told me my battery was defective and would send me a new battery.

He told me to reset/reboot my device when my battery was fully charged. So it took approx 8 hrs for my battery to charge. A reset is starting over like “out of the box”.

So before my reboot I had my "Snapshot feature at 3 minute intervals. (most battery drain)

After reboot the most frequent snapshot I can get is every 14 minutes. (tech support no help and was baffled buy this problem as well.)

I since purchased a new battery and anticipating a battery from Ring as well.

So as of now: My HDR still switching off…My “snapshot” feature has gone from every 3 minutes to every 14 minute and cannot go less…And my newly purchased battery is STILL draining.

In 1969 they put a man on the moon but ring cannot fix these issues?!

There are a lot of talented coders looking for work. Maybe Ring should start hiring.

Thank you.

I’m having the same problem. I’m hardwired, and for months, my ring said it had a solar panel when it did not. It stopped charging, so I removed the device and reconnected. It started working again, but kept the annoying message of having a solar charger. I now notice the latest release, the solar message is gone, but it stopped charging again!!! I removed the device this morning and readded it, so time will tell. The hardwire appears to be working as the hardwire chime still rings when I push the button. I’m guessing it’s another software change that did more harm than good.

Odd thing, today mine is up 2%

I mean maybe it is charging at a rate of 1% per day (which seems ridiculously slow)

I’m thankful I found this thread. My Ring 2 worked flawlessly all Winter long, but yesterday I got a low battery notification. The app said it was hard-wired, but obviously it wasn’t charging. I pulled it all apart, charged the battery to 100% via USB, did a complete reset, and reinstalled using the washers. I also setup everything to use the maximum amount of battery, so if it starts going down, I’ll notice it quickly. If this doesn’t work now, I’ll call Support and complain.

I bought into the entire Ring ecosystem. Security cameras (indoor and outdoor) and the alarm system. I haven’t installed the alarm system or external cameras yet. Too late to return anything. :frowning:

Hopefully the washers will do the trick. If not, hopefully I can get a new device out of this.

I installed my Ring 3 in mid-April. After getting past some initial problems (weak WiFi signal, oxidized old doorbell wiring), the hardwired connection began to charge the Ring battery, which afterward stayed at 100%. Everything was working fine and there were no problems with battery discharge for several weeks. However, about 10 days ago the battery started to slowly drain by one percent each day. The Ring App showed it was still “hardwired”, but I disassembled things and rechecked the Ring voltage at the terminals to make sure. It registered 16VAC. I recharged the battery manually and reinstalled it, but that same discharge cycle repeated itself. I was about to order a spare battery to provide a ready alternate for no downtime, but I decided to closely inspect the actual battery contacts. They looked clean and shiny. Being curious, I then peered up into the Ring itself to check the mating contacts. It turns out those contacts are spring-loaded, like tumblers in a key lock, so I used my finger to exercise all the pins up and down a few times, just for luck. I reinserted the battery (slightly forcefully) and decided to give it one more overnight chance. To my amazement, the next morning the charge percentage had gone up! Within a day it reached 100% and has remained there ever since. Possibly one or more contacts got stuck? I don’t really know…

Thanks for the info. I’ve tried this and unfortunately has not worked for me, battery is still discharging?

3 days later and my battery is still at 100%. On the first day, it dipped as low as 97%, but then went back up overnight and has stayed there. So for me, the washers appear to have done the trick. I have HDR and just about every high-battery-usage setting set. I really hope it stays this way.

1 Like

I too am having issues with my Ring Doorbell 2. It is hardwired and had been working like a charm for a couple of years. Recently the doorbell went off line. I checked it only to see that the battery had drained completly. I then noticed that the doorbell was not showing that it was hardwired. I checked the wires and even decided to put in a new power transformer just to be sure. The doorbell still does not show as being hardwired and the battery keeps draining on me. I called Ring and they told me that I was simply getting too many notifications and that I needed to change the sensitivity, etc. That is not the answer. There has to be a firmware issue that is going on for us all to be having the same experience without a change in environment. I have a number of Ring products and have found in the past for Ring to be very responsive to customer feedback and issues but I am unclear as to why they have not properly addressed this issue. I have a second battery that I keep charged so that I can change it out when the power drains but it happens too often and is always when I am not able to address it right away. These devices are supposed to help us with home security thus we should be able to depend on them working correctly.

1 Like

Also same problem. Way to go Ring for not addressing an obviously major problem. I’m about to trash mine and go with another brand…

I suggest that Ring reprogram the firmware to leave the white leds off or dim to conserve power from the hardwired source. The leds can switch back on when motion is detected. That way the battery will not drain by itself when hardwired. I think leaving the white leds on all the time when hardwired is the reason why the battery is draining and not charging.