Ring doorbell not charging (NOT SOLVED!)

You have ring doorbell but the others they have ring doorbell 2, it’s different. You should put the exactly what doorbell you have otherwise ring manager will mark it’s solved again. Or you are one of them?

Hey i hear you on this one, it can be frustrating. I had simliar issue a few months ago and stumbled across this which helped!

https://thatguyreviews.com/ring-doorbell-not-charging-hardwired/

Same issue with a new install of the original Ring doorbell. Showing battery while hardwired and battery percentage dropping daily. Called support and went through the diagnostics and during the call he found a memo showing it was a firmware issue. Note; I live in Florida so it is not due to cold weather. Voltage was confirmed via multimeter at the screws. Support advised they are working on a fix and will notify me with a resolution. I also have a Ring 2 doorbell with no issues.

1 Like

I have the Ring Original Doorbell. All was working well (3 years) until yesterday (5/2/20). I updated my WiFi router and took the ring doorbell down to connect to new network. After that it connected then dropped. Now it only shows Battery even though it is hardwired. Tested the power at the terminals, all good. Now it won’t connect to network. I am assuming the battery is to low to connect. I have it on USB charge. New firmware screwed things up.

YESSSSS!!! same thing here. I thought maybe it was a glitch of some sort. BUT, i recharged it manually by taking the battery out and charging. About 2 weeks later the battery is dead again. I had no issues prior to march 2020, which happened to be when the warranty expired. It was bought at costco and I am about to return it if this problem doesnt get resolved.

It looks like the light is staying on at all times, which is creating a constant power influx, which reduces battery life.

I am so annoyed that RING did firmware updates, yet can’t solve this issue.

Mine is hardwired to an existing electronic doorbell and has never had issues, has never been replaced or touched since inital install, so I am sure it is not the wiring.

I live in Arizona, I do not have the cold weather issues. So #1, this is false information.

I have tried to contact support, yet to no avail.

If multiple customers are having the same issue, why wouldn’t you look further into it.

Seriously, this is a problem!

Same here. Went from 100% to 2% in two days. Ring is such a great company. I love their level of support, attention to detail, and focus on customer satisfaction. NOT!

1 Like

Same. It seems like at some point the device stopped being charged from the wired doorbell circuit. The doorbell is a mechanical Friedland Type 1. The whole thing has worked for more than a year. Also, it means the mechanical doorbell no longer rings when the Ring doorbell is pressed. I have managed to get it working temporarily with a hard reset but it seems to stop after a while. Is this a firmware issue??

Everyone please read, real resolution inside.

So, I’m listing the ring gear to move on to Nest because of these issues. Wife decides to call them after it died again (2nd call in about 1-2 weeks). She spoke with Nicole, who confirmed my wife called before about the same issue. Nicole immediately said this was the 3rd call she received today about this issue…Nicole then said the issue was that our Ring was not hardwired (it is and has been since install Fall of 2019. After telling her it was and has been she told us that someone must have done it wrong and that its our problem. She then continued to be rude and said we needed to also reduce our range to 1-3 feet in front of the door. Um what? At that point my wife called her out on the rudeness and hung up.

She called back and asked to speak directly to a supervisor. After a 15 minute hold she got a hold of one. He was actually very nice and ADMITTED the firmware caused the issue but they are informed to not tell the customers this. He said the problems started December 2019/January 2020 and that he and his neighbors started having the exact issue we all are…

Because the issues didn’t start immediately after the firware update Ring is hesitant to admit the direct connection. However, they have stopped selling this version of Ring2 and there is a new version out that is 1 inch taller than the version we have. He apologized for the inconvience, said she would speak to Nicole and is sending us the new version to replace the defective version we have.

I recommend everyone call Ring support and ask to speak to a supervisor for resolution.

Wow going to try that now. I’m in same boat

Mine is the same. Doorbell 2 working fine for 2 years. All of a sudden dropped to 3%. I assumed it was the power supply. Replaced the transformer and confirmed power on the back of my doorbell. Still 3% 2 days later.

I just bought Video Doorbell 3 and it’s hardwired. App says it is hardwired and also says solar charger is connected (I dont have a solar charger, just hardwired). Everything seems good and battery icon is green with lightning on it and you would think it is charging. But battery power level never goes up, it just goes down every day 1-2%. The package says on front: battery or hardwired power. So where is my hardwired power? Feels like a fraud to me and total waste of money. Charging almost monthly is not an option. Where is customer support? Seems like the issue has been on for 6 months. C’mon!

Should the device charge with 12V and 1A current? It doesnt say anywhere how many watts does the doorbell use when on “standby”.

1 Like

I keep saying, it’s not a weather issue. It’s more like a firmware issue. I live in Southern California with temperature in the 75*F now and still having the same battery issue. I have the first Gen1 RVDB which worked fine for the last 2-3 years until just a few weeks ago too. It’s got to be a firmware issue if all of sudden so many of us are having this issue. I don’t think the washer workaround will work for my gen1 RVDB. My app would say battery as the power source after it was in hardwired power source after I reinnstalled the app. SMH

This is for Video Doorbell 1: Wired bell xfmr 26v direct to doorbell. Shows discharging slowly over about 6-8 days then must remove VDB (Video Door Bell) and plug into local charger via mini USB cable (supplied). If it’s wired direct to xfmr, then is a resistor or diode needed?

-Greg

The problem still exist, it has not magically disappeared. Ring customer support please respond!

Still waiting on a response. Ring doorbell pro has been offline for three days. On the phone with customer support.

Just out in a new transformer.

Ring appears to be charging, however after 5 minutes the blue light disappeared.

And the unit still not working.

iOS app had an update. I don’t know if firmware updates automatically, but NOW IT CHARGES!!! 99% battery. Thank you!

My Ring doorbell1 battery no longer will take a recharge. This happened after I ordered a Solar Charging mount for my doorbell.

Can I replace the battery? If not, I want to return the solar charger as it is only used on the ols Ring1 doorbell.

Called community support and after going through some standard steps - the call was referred to an “advanced technical department” to update the firmware. A few hours later, the device switched to hardwired and 12 hours later still ok. Hopefully solved.