Ring doorbell not charging (NOT SOLVED!)

So I’ve just bought a Ring 3. Got an existing mechanical doorbell with 8V AC transformer.

Existing circuit working fine and tested.
Installed Ring Doorbell 2 no issues but shows as battery only and not hardwired (not sure what the Ring app shows but mine just shows a battery).

Is this definitely a firmware issue? Was going to buy another transformer but looks like other people have done this and it hasn’t resolved the issue. The label in the ring says it supports from 8-24V.
Also tried hard reset, that didn’t work either.
I only want this if it will charge off the circuit, can’t be bothered with charging batteries.

Hey Guys,

Having the same issue. I have a Ring Doorbell 1st edition. The device no longer charges when Hardwired. Goes from 100% to 75% in a course of a few hours with minimal motions etc. I have it to set to be as efficient as possible. I checked the wiring on both the transformer (16V 10VA which is compatible) and from the panel of the doorbell and both read 20.1 Volts form the Multimeter. The doorbell Chime is compatible and the white ring illuminates when plugged into the wall. It shows hardwired however the battery gets drained quickly. I call customer service and they have no response to it or acknowledge that it’s possible that when hardwired it doesn’t work. There are 27 pages in another post that they deemed resolved with no solution. Peopl still have an issue.

I find it fustrating to buy a product from a company that will not acknowledge an issues or stand behind it. the response was to wait to see what happens. Let it stay hardwired till it dies and we can provide your money back. I already ordered the Nest doorbell. This feels like when apple releases a new phone/product and the old ones suddenly stop working.

Jay

1 Like

link to the articles

https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Ring-doorbell-not-charging/td-p/10886

Spouse decided to call support and they told us to charge it in full, reduce range to 5% and they would note it. Also indicated he had not heard this was a wide issue…

So, issues here are falling on deaf ears and the solution is to remove your battery to charge it and reduce range to being at your front door…Nest is getting closer and closer to being bought.

same issue, spent couple hours troubleshooting, clear a firmware issue. Plug in charger cable, recharges, doesn’t recognize the door bell power bracket. Come on Ring!

Same problem. I charged full yesterday and today it’s 95%

Same here. I had no problem until all the updates and now my battery will not last 4 days. After 8 months of working fine Im subjected to ’ yeah its something you did different, like more traffic ’ only to know full well it started after they added all the features. Hmm more activations… I’m in lock down in a dead end street…

Same issue. I’ll try support and report back… My device is less than a year old, so, I’m going to push for a full replacement under warranty if they can’t get this fixed.

I just installed mine tonight and having the same issue. It is showing successfully hardwired and healthy, but the battery keeps going low.

Newbie to this thread. Same probem. Complete recharge twice in last 30 days. Last recharge 04/28/2020. Now down to 90%. Less than 12 incidents per day. Looking at Nest as this has now happened twice (Ring shut down from lack of power) during days that it was needed. Ring shows hardwired. No problems prior to January.

Come on Ring, tell us what is up?

I fixed the not charging/ door bell not ringing issue!!! It’s an easy fix. I had power at the two screw terminals on the back plate , I did not have power at j3 terminal 1 and j5 terminal 1 . The contacts are coated to protect the contact from corrosion. Just lightly sand the back plate terminals. See the attached photo.
Now my ring shows hardwired , charges and actually works as a doorbell.

2 Likes

You have ring doorbell but the others they have ring doorbell 2, it’s different. You should put the exactly what doorbell you have otherwise ring manager will mark it’s solved again. Or you are one of them?

Hey i hear you on this one, it can be frustrating. I had simliar issue a few months ago and stumbled across this which helped!

https://thatguyreviews.com/ring-doorbell-not-charging-hardwired/

Same issue with a new install of the original Ring doorbell. Showing battery while hardwired and battery percentage dropping daily. Called support and went through the diagnostics and during the call he found a memo showing it was a firmware issue. Note; I live in Florida so it is not due to cold weather. Voltage was confirmed via multimeter at the screws. Support advised they are working on a fix and will notify me with a resolution. I also have a Ring 2 doorbell with no issues.

1 Like

I have the Ring Original Doorbell. All was working well (3 years) until yesterday (5/2/20). I updated my WiFi router and took the ring doorbell down to connect to new network. After that it connected then dropped. Now it only shows Battery even though it is hardwired. Tested the power at the terminals, all good. Now it won’t connect to network. I am assuming the battery is to low to connect. I have it on USB charge. New firmware screwed things up.

YESSSSS!!! same thing here. I thought maybe it was a glitch of some sort. BUT, i recharged it manually by taking the battery out and charging. About 2 weeks later the battery is dead again. I had no issues prior to march 2020, which happened to be when the warranty expired. It was bought at costco and I am about to return it if this problem doesnt get resolved.

It looks like the light is staying on at all times, which is creating a constant power influx, which reduces battery life.

I am so annoyed that RING did firmware updates, yet can’t solve this issue.

Mine is hardwired to an existing electronic doorbell and has never had issues, has never been replaced or touched since inital install, so I am sure it is not the wiring.

I live in Arizona, I do not have the cold weather issues. So #1, this is false information.

I have tried to contact support, yet to no avail.

If multiple customers are having the same issue, why wouldn’t you look further into it.

Seriously, this is a problem!

Same here. Went from 100% to 2% in two days. Ring is such a great company. I love their level of support, attention to detail, and focus on customer satisfaction. NOT!

1 Like

Same. It seems like at some point the device stopped being charged from the wired doorbell circuit. The doorbell is a mechanical Friedland Type 1. The whole thing has worked for more than a year. Also, it means the mechanical doorbell no longer rings when the Ring doorbell is pressed. I have managed to get it working temporarily with a hard reset but it seems to stop after a while. Is this a firmware issue??

Everyone please read, real resolution inside.

So, I’m listing the ring gear to move on to Nest because of these issues. Wife decides to call them after it died again (2nd call in about 1-2 weeks). She spoke with Nicole, who confirmed my wife called before about the same issue. Nicole immediately said this was the 3rd call she received today about this issue…Nicole then said the issue was that our Ring was not hardwired (it is and has been since install Fall of 2019. After telling her it was and has been she told us that someone must have done it wrong and that its our problem. She then continued to be rude and said we needed to also reduce our range to 1-3 feet in front of the door. Um what? At that point my wife called her out on the rudeness and hung up.

She called back and asked to speak directly to a supervisor. After a 15 minute hold she got a hold of one. He was actually very nice and ADMITTED the firmware caused the issue but they are informed to not tell the customers this. He said the problems started December 2019/January 2020 and that he and his neighbors started having the exact issue we all are…

Because the issues didn’t start immediately after the firware update Ring is hesitant to admit the direct connection. However, they have stopped selling this version of Ring2 and there is a new version out that is 1 inch taller than the version we have. He apologized for the inconvience, said she would speak to Nicole and is sending us the new version to replace the defective version we have.

I recommend everyone call Ring support and ask to speak to a supervisor for resolution.