Ring doorbell not charging (NOT SOLVED!)

Ring team this is definitely a significant issue.

So basically this device is unusable if it’s low temps in terms of motion detection. My properly hardwired device went from 93 percent to 88 percent in ONE NIGHT because the temperature was “too cold” and I had too many motion events.

Like someone said at this point this device is nothing more than a trickle charge doorbell when it’s 90 degrees outside with no motion events.

Good luck with that lol.

I’m seeing numerous people with the same issue and Ring not providing a real answer, so I am going to start removing my devices and seeing if anyone wants them, cancelling my subscriptions and moving to Next. Very unfortunate Ring, this is on you.

inb4 customer service copy/paste post about how this is a user issue and the battery life can be impacted by colder temps/motion events ignoring the real context of 99% of the complaints.

Hi, I am new to this Ring Doorbell 3, I have the same issues and I get about 5-7 events per day. My battery drops a couple percent per day. I have it connected to my existing doorbell transformer which is at 16.58 VAC ± 1%, I have another transformer that is at 27 VAC ± 1% but did not use that one since it is above 24 VAC recomended by Ring. I think this is a defect in their design. I only had this for less than a week and am not impressed.

Same issue for me in the UK. Was working fine and all of sudden the hardwired stopped and just showing battery.

So I’ve just bought a Ring 3. Got an existing mechanical doorbell with 8V AC transformer.

Existing circuit working fine and tested.
Installed Ring Doorbell 2 no issues but shows as battery only and not hardwired (not sure what the Ring app shows but mine just shows a battery).

Is this definitely a firmware issue? Was going to buy another transformer but looks like other people have done this and it hasn’t resolved the issue. The label in the ring says it supports from 8-24V.
Also tried hard reset, that didn’t work either.
I only want this if it will charge off the circuit, can’t be bothered with charging batteries.

Hey Guys,

Having the same issue. I have a Ring Doorbell 1st edition. The device no longer charges when Hardwired. Goes from 100% to 75% in a course of a few hours with minimal motions etc. I have it to set to be as efficient as possible. I checked the wiring on both the transformer (16V 10VA which is compatible) and from the panel of the doorbell and both read 20.1 Volts form the Multimeter. The doorbell Chime is compatible and the white ring illuminates when plugged into the wall. It shows hardwired however the battery gets drained quickly. I call customer service and they have no response to it or acknowledge that it’s possible that when hardwired it doesn’t work. There are 27 pages in another post that they deemed resolved with no solution. Peopl still have an issue.

I find it fustrating to buy a product from a company that will not acknowledge an issues or stand behind it. the response was to wait to see what happens. Let it stay hardwired till it dies and we can provide your money back. I already ordered the Nest doorbell. This feels like when apple releases a new phone/product and the old ones suddenly stop working.

Jay

1 Like

link to the articles

https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Ring-doorbell-not-charging/td-p/10886

Spouse decided to call support and they told us to charge it in full, reduce range to 5% and they would note it. Also indicated he had not heard this was a wide issue…

So, issues here are falling on deaf ears and the solution is to remove your battery to charge it and reduce range to being at your front door…Nest is getting closer and closer to being bought.

same issue, spent couple hours troubleshooting, clear a firmware issue. Plug in charger cable, recharges, doesn’t recognize the door bell power bracket. Come on Ring!

Same problem. I charged full yesterday and today it’s 95%

Same here. I had no problem until all the updates and now my battery will not last 4 days. After 8 months of working fine Im subjected to ’ yeah its something you did different, like more traffic ’ only to know full well it started after they added all the features. Hmm more activations… I’m in lock down in a dead end street…

Same issue. I’ll try support and report back… My device is less than a year old, so, I’m going to push for a full replacement under warranty if they can’t get this fixed.

I just installed mine tonight and having the same issue. It is showing successfully hardwired and healthy, but the battery keeps going low.

Newbie to this thread. Same probem. Complete recharge twice in last 30 days. Last recharge 04/28/2020. Now down to 90%. Less than 12 incidents per day. Looking at Nest as this has now happened twice (Ring shut down from lack of power) during days that it was needed. Ring shows hardwired. No problems prior to January.

Come on Ring, tell us what is up?

I fixed the not charging/ door bell not ringing issue!!! It’s an easy fix. I had power at the two screw terminals on the back plate , I did not have power at j3 terminal 1 and j5 terminal 1 . The contacts are coated to protect the contact from corrosion. Just lightly sand the back plate terminals. See the attached photo.
Now my ring shows hardwired , charges and actually works as a doorbell.

2 Likes

You have ring doorbell but the others they have ring doorbell 2, it’s different. You should put the exactly what doorbell you have otherwise ring manager will mark it’s solved again. Or you are one of them?

Hey i hear you on this one, it can be frustrating. I had simliar issue a few months ago and stumbled across this which helped!

https://thatguyreviews.com/ring-doorbell-not-charging-hardwired/

Same issue with a new install of the original Ring doorbell. Showing battery while hardwired and battery percentage dropping daily. Called support and went through the diagnostics and during the call he found a memo showing it was a firmware issue. Note; I live in Florida so it is not due to cold weather. Voltage was confirmed via multimeter at the screws. Support advised they are working on a fix and will notify me with a resolution. I also have a Ring 2 doorbell with no issues.

1 Like

I have the Ring Original Doorbell. All was working well (3 years) until yesterday (5/2/20). I updated my WiFi router and took the ring doorbell down to connect to new network. After that it connected then dropped. Now it only shows Battery even though it is hardwired. Tested the power at the terminals, all good. Now it won’t connect to network. I am assuming the battery is to low to connect. I have it on USB charge. New firmware screwed things up.