Ring doorbell misting over in cold weather

When we needed to view camera as we had three people come with ladders to try to break into house we could not see any think anybody used anything to stop this from happening very annoyed. This is happening in winter time not only me my son and other people I know who have the ring doorbell

1 Like

For some time now there is so much condensation on the camera (not sure if inside or outside case) that any video occuring early in the day is useless. Is there a way to eliminate the condensation?

This doorbell is installed at a vacation rental house so it is not practical to wipe the unit down every morning.

1 Like

Hey @summerlily9 and @rwoodlin ! While we don’t have any suggestions for a particular brand, we have heard neighbors using rain x helped keep their lens from fogging. Hopefully others might share some more recommendations of solutions that have worked for them. :slight_smile:

Rain ???

Any anti-fog application should work. Rain X is one brand name that many use.

2 Likes

How often do you have to use this

1 Like

They use it on car windshields and it lasts a few months. But that’s with wipers and rain directly on it. A security cam I would think should last even longer. I’m sure there are a few on Amazon with reviews. I good search should fine the best on there.

I’ve read that someone used this and did not work

I have just purchased a Ring 2. Now it’s getting cold at night and I too have condensation on the lens. I was thinking about using RainX but was not sure if it would affect the plastic cover of the lens, so I ’ lightly ’ applied it anyway this morning. Will find out tomorrow morning if it worked or if I need to apply it again.

1 Like

I need to know as I was away mine was misted up and at 7.45am sae two people climb over into back garden using ladders only could see outline when I needed it the most. This is a big problem with the ring

4 Likes

Did the stuff work on your doorbell you put on thanks

1 Like

I’ve noticed this is a big problem with people just in England and also the rain product. Doesn’t work. I cannot find anybody who has youse a product that says it works. Surely this should be looked at by yourself to see what can be done as this is not fit for purpose when need when someone uses ladders early in the morning to get over fence but you can only see slightly through the camera when away.

1 Like

The RainX didn’t work

1 Like

This is really bad the company should look into this

2 Likes

I did ring customer services and the agent said to me that I could put a piece of wood or something over it to cover. If that’s their solution they obviously not working on a solution of condensation when it gets cold and damp. Love to see their R+D department. Customers are paying alot of money for the product and then there’s the yearly subscription on top.

4 Likes

This is it we was away and just made out as it was misted over at 7.45 am which looked like two people with ladders getting over the fence at the front into our back garden. Not nice. They should find a solution as they are not fit for perpuse in cold weather. They told me just to search on amazon for a anti fog product we shouldn’t be doing this . How much money would you have to spend just to find that none of them work I’m so mad.

1 Like

Our outdoor model devices are rated for weather resistance and, of course, outdoor use. As mentioned prior, while we don’t have any suggestions for a particular brand, we have heard neighbor using Rainx keep their lens from fogging. Other solutions may be different brands of anti-fog, DIY covers, or even a different mounting location. Drastic change in temperature can cause your camera to fog up and is normal behavior for any camera or device experiencing the change in weather.

1 Like

Someone on the forum has said he’s used rainx yesterday and didn’t work. My son has ring doorbell as well and has the same problem. You are selling a product which doesn’t work on cold weather

4 Likes

im currently having this conversation with Ring online, suggestion to wipe it … i cannot be wiping it every hour or so … so its pretty useless and just deems it a normal … albeit very expensive … doorbell ?!

4 Likes

I lately tried the old remedy of stopping spectacles steaming up by rubbing a little fairy liquid washing soap on the lens cover. It has worked, not perfect, but haven’t really had a very cold night since. Time will tell. If it does work, may have to repeat weekly.

1 Like