Ring doorbell misting over in cold weather

Sadly, Blink has the same issues. Read their forum here. https://community.blinkforhome.com/t/condensation-for-outside-camera/10108

Arlo cameras too.
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Reliability-Arlo-Pro-2-amp-Condensation/m-p/1651689
They all have the same things to try. Rain X and etc.

I live in Michigan and have had and have issues withmy ring doorbell. When it’s cold, it frosts up and like today, it’s 5 degrees out and my ring doorbell is not working and everything is functioning like it should. Has anyone else had problem with theirs in cold temps?

I have 4 non-ring cctv cameras around my home, some are more exposed to the weather than others. They NEVER mist up at all, morning, noon and night.

My ring 2 doorbell is located away from the elements, and is under an overhanging roof. Through the day it is ok. At night, you may as well disconnect the battery to save power as the misting up of the lens makes it totally useless.

This is the worst product I have ever bought, and I would never consider any of their other stuff as I expect it would be just as useless. No wonder there’s not a problem of having them stolen - even low life thieves don’t want them!

Thanks Ring…for nothing.

I also have non-Ring CCTV cameras that have never had this issue. Two of them are ten years old and are fully exposed to the weather and still work to this day without issue despite the weather…so it is possible!

1 Like

It has to be down to the cover not having some sort of anti fog coating or the materials that are used being more susceptible.

1 Like

Rain X doesn’t really work as it only creates a hyperbolic surface for larger droplets. I tried it on the glass panel in my shower and dogs up straight away. As soon as the droplets get large enough that’s when the surface clears

I have wired CCTV cams that are out in the open without protection above them and they are waterproof unlike Ring’s weather-resistant and have simple covers over the lens. My Ring outdoor stick-up cam gets condensation in the morning. It has no protection from an overhang and is weather resistant.

My Ring floodlight doesn’t have any problems either but it’s under a deck. The same goes for my pro doorbell, under an overhang.

I’ve checked many sites and products. Blink and Arlo cams have the same issues from what’s in their own forums.

Whilst I accept other brands may have similar issues, that doesn’t excuse Ring, as they profess to be selling a premium product, which it clearly isnt. I am an electronics engineer, so understand the issues faced when producing such a product for the outdoors, but to be brutally frank, this piece of kit simply isn’t up to the job it was designed to do. My Ring 2 doorbell is placed in such a position that it gets no rain, snow, wind or other extremes of weather, even frost, yet it still underperforms to the point that it is useless at night.

I have tried many “remedies” as shown on here and based on my experiences elsewhere, and none of them make much difference. It’s just poorly designed, and they ought to hang their heads in shame!

1 Like

I have the same problem in England I’ve been in touch with ring they have no resolution to this problem they have told me and other people to try different products but none work. This has been happening for years on other forums they have not done anything to resolve this. They don’t care as long as people are buying the ring doorbell

Really cold weather can be give through air conditioner. It is not natural and manmade. We can maintain our temperature through ac. Many things are need to be store in cold weather. I also using ac in my house .But sometimes need to be ac repair otherwise would be ac problem.

I have two spot cams with battery and solar panels. One fogs and one does not. The difference is that the one that does not fog is angled more downward the other that does fog has more elavatio to it. I will adjust and see if that helps.

My moisture issue is on the inside, which rain-x and other external suggestions, don’t address.

“Ring”, have you found a viable answer !
This renders the camera useless !

SOLUTION: Put a small piece of scotch mailing tape over the lens and voila! Be sure to cut out the tape in a small circular shape that will only cover the lens and not the small sensor/motion detector hole, and also do your best when cutting it out not to get fingerprints/smudge on the adhesive side or other small debris such as little hairs or lint. I’ guessing an actual adhesive film protector will do the trick as well but I was short on time and money but had plenty of scotch mailing tape and a pair of scissors handy and this seemed to work perfectly fine. Not sure how long it will last, I will post again here in a week or so for updated results. ATTENTION RING: I feel that if you direct users of outside cams to not remove the protective film cover that covers the lens of your devices new out of the box to begin with that it may also serve the same purpose and be even better/clearer than attaching tape or a third party adhesive film?‍♂️

1 Like

I don’t recall having this problem with the original Ring Doorbell. The only difference I can see is that I installed the plastic wedge to angle the camera to the left whereas previously I used a wooden wedge that I made myself.
My theory is that when the weather is cold, the air inside the wedge is cooled which in turn cools the doorbell resulting in condensation as the air outside warms.
My car is covered in condensation this morning as is the doorbell. However, the double glazing is clear outside.
I am hoping that the Ring doorbell camera is a sealed unit as there is no condensation inside, so I think the problem is related to the temperature changes.
I’ll be testing this theory, but would be interested in knowing if people with condensation issues have the plastic wedges installed.

Did the tape idea work?
Also. I’m interested if you have one of the plastic wedges installed to angle the camera?

Hi, unfortunately the tape didn’t work either

Very helpful! thank you. will try it

I have since had much better luck using anti-fog adhesive strips/anti-fog clear tape (can find on amazon); it is not perfect but seems to work much better than just regular tape.