Ring doorbell misting over in cold weather

The washing up liquid failed for me. Seemed to last and hour before misting up.

Might depend on how much is on but it’s not a solution for if it starts raining.

I tried my boot water repellent solution and has worked a treat. No misting, no fog, no thin layer of ice.

1 Like

I did wonder about rain actually… I’ll probably end up with a frothy lens

I have major issues with condensation on my ring, already applied anti fog. Now having issues with frost. Both are making my ring useless

I have two, one in front and one in back, front doesn’t frost over, one in back does. Both are battery powered. The one in front is on a covered porch, the one in back is not. I think that helps the front doorbell.

It’s the opposite for me in that my doorbell at the front that is battery powered and under a porch frosts over. My rear floodlight that’s mains powered and fully exposed gets no mist.

I have a 8 ring cameras and the only one that fogs up is the ring doorbell 2. So saying that this is a issue all outdoor cameras have is incorrect. I also have a couple of Arlo and one of them has fogged up once or twice in extremely humid weather with rain and literally heavy fog out. The other rings (floodlight cams etc) did not. This is obviously a design issue and since mine didn’t do it for the first 6 months I had a the ring doorbell 2 it leads me to believe something is breaking down in these that is allowing humidity to get into them. They need to fix this because just tonight for instance there hasn’t been any rain and no large temp swing. Temp went from about 52 at 5:00 pm to 38 at 5:00 am, not a cloud in the sky and the ring doorbell 2 is worthless - it’s all fogged up and will likely stay that way until around 10:00 or 12:00 the next morning. This is happening most nights now without any rain. Ring needs to fix this. My stickup can’t isn’t fogging either just the ring doorbell 2. I even have a old original ring Doorbell about 50’ away and it’s not fogging up. It might have once or twice in the last couple of years but nothing like the ring 2.

2 Likes

Da hell is fairy liquid

Washing up liquid. But didn’t work for me

I have just purchased Rain X to give it a try but on the directions is says NOT to use on plastic! Does anyone know if the cover over the camera lens is glass or plastic?

It doesn’t work used it on mine

Rain x does not work in a fogged ring door bell 2.Ring have now suggested i use halfords night and day.My ring 2 is only battery powerd i need to run wiring for power as current house has no existing door bell.

I am no reluctant as its usless at night.
That said the ring floodlight on the same house same conditions has no fogging.I wish i didnt purchase the ring doorbell 2 its not made for british weather.

Arthurmorgan,I have a Ring door bell and a Ring Camera and the same thing is happening to me.I live in Washington State and during the cold weather the cameras will fog up.There is no fix and it sucks.

1 Like

@jt1 is your ring camera ok then also or are both misting?

Ring have no fix for the doorbells yet this thread says solved laughable really.They should have a advisory rather than stating the operating temps they do.

@jt1 I too am from Washington State and I have noticed that I have 2 updated rings both fog my older one does not fog I’m thinking they may have changed something when they upgraded

I found that rubbing soap on a clean microfiber cloth and passing lightly on the lens helps. It lasts quite a while depending if it rains. Apply as needed, has not harmed my lens at all. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Do you mean like … just soap or soap and water?

Also what kind of soap did you use ?

Has anyone tried a coat of car wax?

Just a thought.

A bar of dry bathing soap dry or just a dab of water. Make sure it’s not an exfoliating soap it can scratch. Rub on softly and with the ring active on your phone rub until clear not off. If you do it at night you can tell with the street lights or neighbors lights they look a little stretched but the video and view are perfect. We had 20 degree weather again last night and it worked like a charm. Good luck.

Nice! Thanks for the tip. Definitely gonna give this a try tonight.

Now if I can get this camera to work great with my porch light, it’ll be perfect.

Everytime my porch light comes on, the camera view has a huge glare. So you really can’t see anything

Easy fix if the fixture is above the ring at night when you turn the light on take a small L shaped piece of card board or stiff paper and pin or tape it just above the doorbell on the house. Don’t place it directly on top as it will affect /block the motion sensor. Then take the card board off in the morning.