Ring doorbell keep disconnecting from wifi

Hi, for the cost of this doorbell surely customers can’t be expecting to do technical fixes on devices that are clearly faulty. I have Hive devices is multiple locations in my house a lot further away from the ring doorbell that don’t have any dropping in connectivity - really disappointed with this.

My Ring doorbell is harwired and it is connected to 2G network and I had the same problem of connectivity. It would work then not. I did what was rcomended by various posts and still had the same problem.

I realized that I had an Amazon echo show 1st generation running on 2g right behind the door where my ring is connected so I moved the echo to the opposite side of the room. It seems to work for the time being so my guess is two 2g devices close together either sucks up the wifi conectivity or there is channel interference.

Anyway good luck.

Support team only read from a script they are useless.

1 Like

The same for me, brand new Doorbell 3, professional Ubiquiti Unifi infrastructure with server cabinet, 20 years’ experience in IT Infrastructure field. Doorbell button pressed, nothing happened on any device, doorbell is showing 100% connected for the last few hours in the controller’s logs, it’s like it’s going to sleep and then having problem with waking up, that how it looks like, because it’s not a Wi-Fi issue, the AP is 3 meters away, rock solid Unifi Access Point, doorbell is showing green RSSI 40 connection, 100% Wi-Fi experience in Unifi Controller.

Something is going on with the device itself and Ring apparently doesn’t have ANY idea what this is, so they are recommending (even give away!) their ‘Chime Pro’ which is nothing else but poor Wi-Fi repeater and in most cases is making the Wi-Fi even WORSE.

There is a genuine issue with the devices, thousands of users are reporting the issues not only here but on Reddit and other forums. It’s not a coincidence.

Can we have a serious reply from someone who is NOT 1st line support (no offence guys but we’ve got enough of generic replies)???

4 Likes

Follow-up after some experiments, restarted device two times in-between. Works most of the time but after some time of inactivity (haven’t found how long yet but it looks like it’s rather hours than minutes):

• Sometimes - Doorbell makes no sound or only some short sounds rather than a normal doorbell sound

• Sometimes - There are or there are not any doorbell notifications in the Rapid Ring app/Echo Flex device or they are delayed

• Always - There are no doorbell notifications on Echo Show 5

• Always - There are motion notifications on Echo Flex and Show 5 but there are no Live View

Voltage is too low. We replaced our mechanical house doorbell transformer with one from Amazon and the connection issues all but disappeared.

You wifi router may allow you to assign a static ip address to the Ring doorbells device id. Then the router won’t reassign an ip address. Be sure you have no duplicate ip address entries for previously assigned static ip addresses. We did this for all Ring devices and they also respond faster. And we set Bluetooth off in our phones unless we need it. This also seemed to help.

You need to log in to the router to create a static ip address. Contact your isp as to how to set up a static ip address.

Its is not poor RSSI. Its -39 dBm. From Ring’s site:

"RSSI Reading Meaning

-66 to -90 is critical and will likely cause a loss of functionality or be unable to maintain a usable connection the wifi altogether.

-65 to -41 is sufficient. Possible video issues if constantly at -60.

-40 or better is virtually no interference and a very strong signal."

I think we have a design flaw here…

Agreed that Ring needs to add a remote reconnect feature. Until then, we flipped the circuit breaker to power down the doorbell then on our iPhones in the WiFi selection panel we hit the “i” in the circle for our network and pressed Forget This Network. We then rebooted the iPhone. We then turned the circuit breaker back on, turned iPhone back on and rejoined our network. Then we re-setup the Ring Doorbell as if it were new. All set.

If you haven’t done so already, assign a static IP address to the Ring device so the wifi doesn’t have to search for a free address. Be sure the static IP isn’t in the range of IP addresses used by DHCP for auto-assigned IP addresses. This helped us a lot.

I have the same issue with my Ring doorbell and it seems like it is a common problem. You would think that Ring would come up with a fix for all of us struggling with these devices. I’m no lawyer but I would also think that Ring may stand to face some liability if something happens to someone when they are supposed to be protected by Ring. In today’s sue happy world, one would think Ring would make this a priority but apparently not. What devices has everyone changed to that work better?

I have a Ring WiFi extender witching 6 feet of my Ring doorbell also and it still disconnects multiple times in a day. I think it’s time to change companies.

Went all the same routes as you. Static address, extender. Tech support. Did this for a few weeks and at the same time all the other home wifi devices were working fine. They kept blaming in on this and that. Switch to a different door bell almost a year ago and never have had a problem. I was still in my return window to exchange it, so I did. I just liked the design of the ring pro. Good luck.

I have the Ring 2 doorbell and mine keeps disconnecting from WIFI as well.

My router is only 3 feet away. The battery is at 91% and the signal tests out as very strong.

Now it won’t link at all with WIFI.

I had the same problem, setup was fine but would not reconnect when the battery was remove and put back in. I have resolved this problem by setting my Ring 3 Plus with a static IP address within the WIFI setup screen. I made no changes on my router. It now works like a dream!

2 Likes

So for 3 days in a row, I have to remove the RING doorbell and re-set it up. I’ve had this doorbell for 2 years and it never has done this. Also, it really is not that great even when it does work, by the time it “fires up” when it tells me there is motion, the motion is already gone. Too slow of response/interaction between the doorbell and the App. Time to shop for something else. Too unreliable !

1 Like

We have had same issue, took first doorbell back and got an exchange. The new one although connected to WiFi kept saying offline. After a lengthy call to ring they updated my firmware and everything appears to be working now

Having same issue for months. I have two and they are the only wireless units in my home that are unreliable. Purchased at Home Depot. Disappointing

Read my thoughts HERE I am doing extensive research based on my network.