Ring doorbell audio issues

The doorbell Pro 3 has issues with the audio. When I watch recorded videos, or try to watch live, I cannot hear any audio. I could just like the first pinch of the video, then after it just cuts off and it completely silent.
I had already exchanged the actual doorbell, so this is the second one. Can anyone help?

Hey @CR3. Have you reached out to our support team on this concern? You can follow our Ring Help Center Article here for more information on how to troubleshoot poor audio quality, but it may be a good idea to give our support team a call as well. For support, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Try removing the battery for 5 minutes or so and then replace it. Had the same problem with my Ring 3. Solved the issue.

2 Likes

Ring has had audio issues since it’s release. The audio cuts in and out. Almost impossible to have a conversation. Ring knows about it but always blames the customer’s equipment. Most of us fell for the BS initialy but son realized it was no our wifi, extender, which you really don’t need if ecerything else checkes out good, to spinninf around in circles whil patting our head 3 times. Nothing works. They have a duples design problem but won’t admit it. For the record, so does Nest. We all got screwed!

1 Like

Thank you very much! Removing the battery and putting it back in helped resolve my issue too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish mine was that easy but I am hardwired

1 Like

Hey neighbors, happy to chime in for Chelsea here. @CocoaSip Thank you for letting us know how that solution worked for you! :slight_smile:

@JohnGiovanni If the recommended solution didn’t work out for you, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They will be able to take a more in-depth look at your device and offer more advanced troubleshooting steps to resolve this. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support.

I may need to return mine then!

I would. Just don’t replace it with a Nest doorbell. They are worse. Unfortunately, my temp fix didn’t work very long. I can’t and won’t mess with trying to solder an isolator on the board, which would have been a permenant fix. My temp fix will not stay in place very long.

Either my doorbell is missing an isolator for the full duplex on the board or it is a manufacturing defect. Either way, after talking and wasting hours on phone calls with Ring, who never offered to replace it, I give up and may try the Arlo system.

hi @JohnGiovanni, have u tried the nest hello video door bell? u really think is worse than ring? i have a ring 3 brand new, it seems work fine, but sometimes the audio in the recording is silent for the first 15 seconds and then i can hear it, and sometimes it seems to don’t catch motion and don’t give me any alerts, settings to frequent, i am tempted to switch to nest hello honestly.

@JohnGiovanni wrote:

I had the same problem with my audio, could send to Ring, but couldn’t receive audio and I am hardwired. I removed the battery, waited 5 minutes and then re-installed the battery. I also had to close the app and open it and the audio is fine now.

Thank you for offering to contact tech support. Unfortunately, since purchasing the product I have had several discussions with several techs. Of course the first couple discussions were all about my equipment and how to adjust everything. Being a former tech with another company, I already had my equipment set up correctly. But I didn’t want to act like a know it all and allowed the techs to go through it with me anyway.

I have hard wired doorbell. I think you have solved the problem for many pertaining to the battery. The hardwired version, not so good. I think CS has only so much knowledge and basically a script to follow. Basically, if this does this, then go to this!

I did take my doorbell apart.
l do know what it most likely is. Made a temp fix on the circuit board and it fixed the problem. Not going into details now but I did an another post. I do think the doorbells (wired) have had a similar, but not quite 100%, in the latest models. For many of us original customers, when the pro was first introduced, got screwed. With so many complaints over the two-way (duplex) audio issues, we should have had replacements sent after many conversations with tech support Ring should have replaced them instead of simply just stop communicating after they no further suggestions as they did. It’s a shame that after multiple calls to reach support, just short of holding the device over your head, spin around three times, then click your heels together , we wind up out $ 300. BTW my temp fix didn’t hold. So back to crappy audio. Not going to try and fix again.

@Caitlyn_Ring wrote:

Hey neighbors, happy to chime in for Chelsea here. @CocoaSip Thank you for letting us know how that solution worked for you! :slight_smile:

@JohnGiovanni If the recommended solution didn’t work out for you, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They will be able to take a more in-depth look at your device and offer more advanced troubleshooting steps to resolve this. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support.

I assume you mean Doorbell 3 or 3 Plus not Pro 3? I had constant issues with my 3 Plus with the pre roll and audio.

Original device, 1st replacement, 2nd replacement and 3rd replacement the pre roll didn’t work always froze when switching from the pre roll to normal colour and sound video on the 4th replacement it worked fine.

As for the audio this issue occurred on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th replacements but worked fine on the original and 1st replacement in the end ended up getting a free of charge upgrade to the Pro. Ring started blaming my WiFi until they troubleshooted and checked the devices in the background and then realised there was no WiFi issue it’s the 3 Plus it’s simply just had constant problems since launch clearly released way too quick

Oh and when I removed the battery it fixed the audio problems however it soon started again. No sound coming through to my iPhone/iPad but the sound through the doorbell was fine

hi - your ring doorbell does not actuelly run off the supply if your hard wired. it only charrges the battery and if you remove the battery you will see the doorbell stops working. pull the battery out for 5 mons to try and resolve your audio issue.

@JohnGiovanni wrote: