Ring Video Doorbell 3 Wired Directly To A 30VA - 16VAC Transformer (NO EXISTING DOOR CHIME)

@Tom_Ring wrote:

Hey @Boone. The Ring Video Doorbell Gen 2 DOES require a resistor if wiring direct to transformer. You can find the information about that here. :slight_smile:

Hi @Tom_Ring ,

Ah Thank you. I must have I missed that page before during my search. :slight_smile:

And since the Ring Video Doorbell “2nd generation / 2020 Release” (not the older different model Ring Video Doorbell 2) is like the Ring Video Doorbell 3 and 3 “Plus” in that it does have the “In Home Chime settings/Advance settings” with choices of “None”, “Mechanical”, or “Digital” for your house-chime type, I did notice this Help Center Article does NOT have the same “Serious Fire Risk” Warning for the Video Doorbell 2nd Gen (which is correct as long as you select “None” on this setting). As the “Ring Video Doorbell 1st Gen” and the “Ring Video Doorebell 2” do have this “Serious Fire Risk” warning because they do not have the “In Home Chime” settings (no “None” setting).

Since the Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen does require a Resistor, apparently the ‘trickle-charging’ circuit or other electronic circuit in this model doorbell is different than the Ring Video Doorbell 3 or 3 'Plus".

Now we all clearly know, that to directly wire a Video Doorbell to a transformer (without using a a pre-existing house bell-chime:

• Model “Ring Video Doorbell (1st Gen)” does need a Resistor for Fire Hazard.
  • Model “Ring Video Doorbell 2” does need a Resistor for Fire Hazard.
  • Model “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen” does need a Resistor to work successfully.
  • Model “Ring Video Doorbell 3” does NOT need a Resistor.
  • Model “Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus” does NOT need a Resistor.

But, I’m happy that there is Help Article page for it. Again, thank you for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes