Ring Video Door Bell 2 - Live View Not Working

Live View on my Ring Video Door Bell 2 is not working. Internet connection is strong (802.1 ac network) and RSSI level is -60.

Ring app shows streaming error with black screen.

Hey . Have you ever been able to get your Live View to work? It seems you may have a bit of a higher RSSI, which could be causing this concern. You can learn more about RSSI in our Community post here. When you go to Ring.com/Speed, what kind of upload and download speed do you have? Do you see any previously recorded videos, or are they black videos?

Hello Chelsea,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I am able to get LiveView from my video doorbell 2.

The RSSI has increased to -58 now.

However, under Device Health, I see that my hardwired doorbell is being powered by Battery. I had it installed via professional installation services offered by BestBuy and they used existing electrical wiring of my old standard door bell to connect to ring doorbell. Can you tell me how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Raghu

So glad you can get that Live View now! What kind of internal chime kit do you have that the Doorbell is hooked up to? You can check if the chime kit is compatible from our list here. Feel free to also let me know how the power supply is, when it comes to the voltage output from the chime kit. I recommend also checking the wiring yourself, to ensure it is set up like this.

I ran internet speed test and attached are the result. Also the second image shows that my hardwired doorbell is running on battery.

Hi Chelsea,

I am using Ring Chime inside my home as my existing mechanical chime is not compatible with Ring video doorbell 2.

I have verified the wiring connected to the ring doorbell 2 to match the instructions provided with installation manual.

Since your internal and existing chime kit is not compatible with the Doorbell, this is why it is not accepting that it is hardwired to the existing doorbell setup. Only compatible chimes kits will allow the Doorbell to have a trickle charge into the device. If you are looking for the extra battery support, I recommend getting and installing a Plug-In Adapter for the Doorbell, or if the Doorbell gets enough light in the day (4 or more hours of direct sunlight), get the Solar Charger!

Hi Chelsea,

The plug in charger is not compatible with Video Doorbell 2. For the solar charger option, my home faces west and afternoon sun beams on my front porch, this might be a good option. Is it easy to install the solar charger without professional help?

Thanks,

Raghu

Hi Chelsea,

Quick question. My ring video doorbell 2 faces the street at an angle (installed using one of the angle adapters). Will the solar charger installed on it, be effective if it is not facing the sun “face on”?

Thanks,

Raghu

My apologizes! I should’ve given more details, but if you are interested in thePlug-In Adapter, you will need to get a resistor with it. With the Ring resistor and the Plug-In Adapter, a setup would look like this:

The solar charger is very easy to install if you get that! Here is an article on how to set up the solar panel for the Doorbell. The solar panel should be installed at the back of the device, and therefore behind the kit. With this in mind, it should still get 4 hours of direct sunlight. Even if one side panel doesn’t the charge, the other side should help still get some of the trickle charge you would be getting, get to the Doorbell to help decrease your charging times. If your purchase the solar panel and see no difference within 30 days time frame, you can return it for a refund from Amazon or Ring! :slight_smile:

Hi Chelsea,

Following up on your suggestion to use either a plug in charger (with resistor) or solar charger for my Ring VDB 2, the article you refer to shows the solar charger mounting to wall. My Ring VDB2 is mounted to corner/angle bracket to face the street. Can you tell me whether Solar Charger mounts to the same hole pattern on angle corner bracket as Ring VDB2 or do I need a special adapter bracket for it?

Thanks,

Raghu

You will install the whole setup where it follows like so: Wall > Solar Charge > Corner Kit > Doorbell. The solar charger should go over the original screw holes you already had. You can see what it looks like in this video here. It won’t show you what putting the corner kit in between looks like, but you will just hold them in place as so, and then screw it back in place!