Ring Video 2 Short Battery Life (Only 2 months old !)

Hi, I’m having the same issue.

We installed 2 Ring Doorbell 2 units last winter. One is hardwired, so battery life hasn’t been an issue.

It’s the back door unit, which has no wired power available, that’s running on a battery. The unit is mounted on a foam-core steel outside door. This is why it operates on a battery.

I’m about to cobble together an installation for a transformer and resistor, but I’d really like to know why this has just started happening, when the weather is WARMER!

In the cold weather over the northern IL winter, I got about 35-45 days on a battery before recharging was needed. Way less than we were told to expect, but hey, I never believe those claims.

But now that the weather is more reasonable (average in the 50’s) it’s draining FASTER! I changed it this Monday, and it’s already down to 75%. I’ve had to recharge every couple of weeks at best, and in a couple of cases, a little over a week. (Yes, I’m fully charging the battery until the charging light goes off.)

What is up with that?

I have an average of 4 events a day, almost no live video use, HDR is off, RSSI is -44 with a WiFi repeater about 10 feet away.

It can sometimes take up to 10 minutes to get a motion alert, so those are basically worthless but the main reason I bought these was for motion sensing, and I’ve been reluctant to turn OFF Motion Alerts. (We get about 2 a day.)

I’m also having a problem with VERY slow response times on both, but I’ll save that for another post.