Ring Server connections getting slower and slower

I have had a Ring doorbell in 2 houses for 5 or 6 years now. When I first got the ring doorbell it was great. Just like the TV ads, someone rang the doorbell and I could immediately pick up and talk to them. However, over the years the connections have become slower and slower. It has now gotten to the point that by the time the Ring Doorbell video connects the person is long gone. I have 400mbs Internet connection, so that is not it. I thought it was just me, but talking to other ring Doorbell users who have had the ringdoorbell for multiple years, they have also seen this terrible deteriorate of the connection speeds. Either Ring’s servers are just slow or overloaded or the software is so bad that it can not handle simple connections. When is Ring going to fix this or is my only solution to get a different brand?

I totally agree, I have had mine for 2 years and I’ve noticed it. It also doesn’t record obvious motions such as cars moving on the drive.

It seems like it’s a deterrent more than surveillance equipment.

yes it’s awful. I was in the house for 10 minutes before the notification sounded. What can be done to fix this?

Sorry to hear about this experience, neighbors! It is odd to hear about notifications being this delayed. For battery-powered Video Doorbell models, motion frequency is a great setting to check first. Setting your motion frequency to frequently detect motion, will ensure for no delay.

Wifi signal strength is always an important factor to consider, in which our Community post about RSSI will be of great assistance with this.

It always good to check through other settings such as alert preferences and features such as motion scheduling, modes, or anything else that might impact how you receive alerts from the Ring app. Mobile device factors should also be considered, as wifi or cellular data connections might differ, as can mobile device types. Please also ensure there is not a vpn enabled. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

In my case, the notifications are sent promptly but the connection to the RING server via my phone takes too long. When it finally connects I can see the entire video from “button push” to “walk away” so the entire “visit” is recorded, but by that time the visitor is long gone. It kinda defeats one of the reasons I bought the RING doorbell in the first place. :grimacing:

Why does it always come down to wifi signal with you guys? I have an upload speed of 10mbps, a rssi of 46 and suffer from the same problem, not to mention the live feed and recorded videos freezing and jumping, I have been asking for answers and get no help from Ring at all.

1 Like

Hi @GaryD. The Ring Community is a neighbor to neighbor support forum and not a direct line to support. If the suggestions here in the Ring Community are not providing a solution for your specific concerns, you can reach out to our support team to take a deeper look at what might going on with your Ring devices.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

same thing it wont even connect anymore. its annoying cause it made me miss a package. the internet speed next to ring is 250 down 75 up with the rssi 58.

I think I’m getting rid of my Ring doorbell. It won’t connect, as so many people complain about on here. I guess Ring doesn’t plan on fixing this issue. On to yet another brand I go! Bye bye Ring!

Don’t you just love how it sits and spins if you scroll to much on the app, then nothing happens. Been like this for years.

Same issue here. My 5 cameras becoming uselessly slow and I have Gb fiber internet in my house and every month slower than the previous one. Upgrade your servers if you plan to stay in business!. Will start to post about my experience in all online review forums (Yelp, Reddit, Google etc…) if you guys don’t fix this by th eend of September and start shopping for alternatives. Realy tired of it!

Hi neighbors. For Live View or connectivity concerns in the Ring app, please try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Check the RSSI for your Doorbell or Security Camera to determine if it’s receiving a strong and stable wifi connection. You can find more information on RSSI in our Community post here.
  • For help improving the wifi signal to your Doorbell or Security Camera, check out the troubleshooting steps here. You may need to contact your internet service provider for assistance with more advanced router or wifi settings.
  • Test out the Ring app and the Live View when connected to both wifi and cellular data to see if the connectivity concerns persist across both connections or only one.
  • Ensure that you are running the latest version of the Ring app and of your phone’s operating software. More on mobile device compatibility with the Ring app can be found here.
  • If you’re receiving a delay in notifications, tru the notification troubleshooting tips in this Community post.

I hope this troubleshooting information is helpful. If your concerns persist, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I agree.

I don’t want to open the front door to answer when it’s someone I don’t recognize. I hear the knocking long before the Ring app alerts. And the Ring Doorbell response time is so slow, I usually just try to yell through the door, or I give in and open the door, which I almost always regret because it’s yet another solicitation. It is so frustrating that I can’t even use the Ring Doorbell device to answer the door, as intended.

Did this occur for you with Rapid Ring? Rapid Ring was originally designed for faster response for these fundamental functions. But unfortunately, they have decided to stop support for Rapid Ring…