Ring Pro suddenly far more sensitive

I’m having this same issue, not sure what has happened but it seems to be a problem for a lot of folks, if there is an answer please share with us. Thanks

1 Like

I see that everyone else in the forum is having the same issue that I’m having . . . which I’d reported to Ring about the same time (19-OCT). I soooo loved (not) being awoken at 7:30am on a Saturday morning by someone jogging down the street, and then again at 7:45am, and then again at 8:10am. It has NEVER reacted to people on the sidewalk or the street. I’ve always use the lowest sensitivity level (which they’d used to indicate was for ‘people detection only’) and it worked near-flawlessly, only detecting motion by people on my porch and lawn, but not out at/past the sidewalk. Now they seem to have a special “people mode”, which detects people EVERYWHERE in the field of view.

So, I’ve dinked-around with “Motion Zones” and the various sensitivity settings. I’ve had to draw my zones to exclude the street and sidewalk, so, now it’ll essentially only see “feet” coming-up on my porch. If I use the new “People” mode, then it tends not to trigger, since all it’s seeing is feet. When I turn-off “People” mode and set it to the lowest sensitivity level, then it mostly works OK, except now (as discovered at 4:42am and 5:39am, again on a SATURDAY morning!) it’s picking-up headlights shining on my grass (which IS in the motion zone, so that I can try to capture feet on my porch and steps). Jeeesh, what a joke! I’ve submitted another complaint to them via e-mail . . . I’m sure I’ll get no good resolution.

Guess I’ll have to disable motion alerts during the night so I can get a good night’s sleep . . . and then risk some doing evil on my porch (like breaking-in or vandalizing me).

I’m losing satisfaction with Ring . . . I’m going to start looking for somebody elses’ video doorbell, and perhaps relegate this one to the back patio, which faces a woods (no foot traffic, no headlights…no false triggers) . . . and stop paying $100/year for the video archive service.

Oh yeah . . . did anyone else also notice the LACK of notifications on Halloween night? Of the 5 groups of kids that actually came that night, I was only alerted twice by the Ring Pro . . . and 1 of those times the alert came-in 10 minutes after the kid had gotten his candy and left! I think their system got over-loaded by all the doorbell activity that night (across the country). I can tolerate that happening . . . I understand that their system isn’t ‘scaled’ properly to handle that 8 hour overload of activity. What I can’t tolerate is being awoken at 5am on a Saturday morning (when I’m trying to sleep-in) due to someone’s headlights on my lawn . . . when it NEVER used to happen at all!

1 Like

Totally agree with you. The only person in this blog that has complete satisfaction is a troll working for the company, I think. I have gotten nothing but run around, both by phone and by email. I am pretty tone deaf to the constant alerts now as they’re mostly meaningless. I am looking into a Nest system. I’m done with this one. Good luck to you.

now they have marked this thread solved? i have a brtand new replacement unit and it is far to sensitive.

1 Like

my firmware just says up to date. W

@SweetCAAngel wrote:

Has anyone noticed any difference/improvements on sensitivity or updates in the code? I increased my zone back to closer to what I had it to prior to this debacle, and I’ve noticed a more “normal” sensitivity, closer to what it was before the Octomber 15 firmware change. I was out shopping for a Nest device, but I’m wondering if they finally listened and made some changes.

The version I have right now is 1.16.00267. I thought I had noted the previous version, but I am not able to find it.

Anyone else?

@SweetCAAngel wrote:

Has anyone noticed any difference/improvements on sensitivity or updates in the code? I increased my zone back to closer to what I had it to prior to this debacle, and I’ve noticed a more “normal” sensitivity, closer to what it was before the Octomber 15 firmware change. I was out shopping for a Nest device, but I’m wondering if they finally listened and made some changes.

The version I have right now is 1.16.00267. I thought I had noted the previous version, but I am not able to find it.

Anyone else?

my version just says up to date. Where can i find the actual version?

1 Like

They marked this Solved almost from day one. If you look back in the thread, you will see many of us expressed concern about this being solved since it IS NOT for most of us.

3 Likes

Hi good to understand what I need to do to make this less sensitive. It’s picking up every car that drives by now - i think it’s activated by lights! I have changed the motion zones but that has not made a difference. I have changed the sensitivity to people only and I then got nothing. My firmware is saying it’s 1.16.00263. I don’t know how to update the firmware either as there doesn’t seem to be an option to force this to happen. I have attached my motion zones. Help please as I’m about to throw this away - doesn’t help that there have been quite a few burglaries in my area! So I need it.

Hi @Louise – if it is raining like that and the lights cause a reflection, yes there is a chance that will trigger an alert. Furthermore, it does appear that your bushes are in the zone as well - which may cause an alert if windy. When you say you have changed the zone for ‘people only’ and got nothing, what do you mean by that? Did you go outside and it did not pick you up? Do you have an example of when being on ‘people only’ you didn’t receive a motion alert when you should have?

Hi Jennifer
Thanks for your reply, My bushes are not in the zone as I know that if it’s windy then the motion of the bushes will be picked up. Yes it didn’t pick me up. Also if it’s only on people then I guess it won’t pick up cars arriving at my property? Unfortunately it seems i can’t win, it’s either pick up people only (which doesn’t work, and won’t pick up cars pulling into my driveway) or set to the lowest motion setting possible which maxes out the sensor and picks up cars driving past outside of the motion zone. Is there a way of reseting the device ?

2 Likes

Mine started this samething last night. It had been working fine for 6+ months and starting early this morning going off evey 10 minutes. i have the mtion detection set way down.

3 Likes

Yes still ocurring with People Only mode enabled or with People Only Mode disabled and sensitivty at lowest level (less motion). Both options has little effect in what has been a massive increase in false postives. There has been well over 100 motion alerts today and it is only 2:15pm

2 Likes

Your replies are always the same but of little help. I have changed my “zone” many times now to no avail; it still picks up everything. You don’t seem to care. I don’t want to see people walking their dog across the street. I can get rid of them if I reduce the zone to the “feet only” portion of my porch. By then, the bad guy is already in my house. Thanks again for nothing. Why don’t you just admit you screwed up with your added “enhancements” that no one seems to like at all and reset back to whatever it was before that everyone liked? Right now, your company, your product, and your customer service especially are crap. I will not be a returning customer.

1 Like

You know what you need to do to make it less sensitive, Louise? Throw it in trash can and install someone else’s device like Nest or something similar. Good luck!

1 Like

That’s because they don’t care about your customer experience; they only care about your credit card.

I’ve changed mine back and forth so many times I’m dizzy now. I absolutely hate this thing and am actually tone deaf to it because I just ignore it when it goes off now; sick to death of it. Nothing works.

My contract is up in about a month. I’ve been shopping new systems. I’m done with these people.

Any comments Jennifer on how to fix this please ? Seems like I’m not the only one and blaming it on rain can’t be a good excuse as p.s it’s rains a fair bit in the uk …

1 Like

This just started for us. No changes in the settings, just started last night triggering every couple minutes. Very anoying, and more so to find out its marked as solved even though it obviously isn’t

1 Like

Jennifer, no reply and no solution and looking at this I’m not the only one … guess I should start reviewing the product on purchase sites (Amazon etc) rather than on a internal (already purchased your products) community chat site… as unfortunately this product is now Utterly useless.

1 Like

Motion detection was functional but has now become too sensitive and generates 100’s of false positives a day - no exaggeration. Motion detection is rendered useless at this point. Your lack of responsiveness to this community is staggering. I have put a recommendation on Amazon that consumers do not buy your product. This is the first time I have done this. Very disappointed.

2 Likes