Ring Pro suddenly far more sensitive

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Thank you for these examples and sharing your feedback, neighbors. In our efforts to better our motion detection performance, we rolled out an improvement to our powered devices designed to make your motion detection more accurate. With this improvement, you may have noticed an increase of motion alerts. Don’t worry- simple adjustments will help get you the notifications that matter! Although our cameras are not as accurate in detecting motion as the human eye, improvements like this will certainly help lower the number of false alerts.

If you’re receiving too many alerts, follow these helpful tips:

-Ensure that the sensitivity slider is set to ‘People Only’

-Create one zone that covers the area you’d like to be notified about. No need to draw a zone over the entire screen or multiple zones that lay on top of another. Just include the area of land for which you wish to receive notifications.

Have a nearby tree that alerts you of motion too often? Go ahead and exclude the tree from your motion zones. This will greatly improve the number of recurring motion alerts you receive from this one area.

Keep in mind, it may take testing out a few different zones (even blocking out zones) to find the best ones for you and your home. If you require further assistance, feel free to share a photo of how you have your motion zones. We would love to help!

Hello Jennifer,

In my humble opinion, Ring broke something. They did. I know that you and many others in your customer service department are keen to blame us, as the user and customer, for not having a small enough zone. But let’s face it, things worked just fine before you made a change. And, based on your resopnse, it seems that there is NO INTENTION, for Ring to fix it.

So you’ve broken my device. I also find it unacceptable that you and your company get to decide which “notifications that matter.” It matters to me to see someone approach my house, and not just when the’ve stepped foot on my porch and turn their backs since they notice I have a ring. The micro zone you’ve proposed to me will only capture if someone directly puts a foot on the porch, this is not acceptable. I used to really like your product and recommend it. I will not any longer.

10 Likes

This solution is unacceptable, because with my existing masked zone this will eliminate any notification of someone approaching the camera.

7 Likes

I have to say I agree. My devices worked perfectly fine, and now I have it turned down all the way to people only and it’s still going off like crazy from people walking by 30 feet away not even fully in the motion zone.
Why don’t you guys revert your software. This is ridiculous.

8 Likes

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Thank you for these examples and sharing your feedback, neighbors. In our efforts to better our motion detection performance, we rolled out an improvement to our powered devices designed to make your motion detection more accurate. With this improvement, you may have noticed an increase of motion alerts. Don’t worry- simple adjustments will help get you the notifications that matter! Although our cameras are not as accurate in detecting motion as the human eye, improvements like this will certainly help lower the number of false alerts.

If you’re receiving too many alerts, follow these helpful tips:

-Ensure that the sensitivity slider is set to ‘People Only’

-Create one zone that covers the area you’d like to be notified about. No need to draw a zone over the entire screen or multiple zones that lay on top of another. Just include the area of land for which you wish to receive notifications.

Have a nearby tree that alerts you of motion too often? Go ahead and exclude the tree from your motion zones. This will greatly improve the number of recurring motion alerts you receive from this one area.

Keep in mind, it may take testing out a few different zones (even blocking out zones) to find the best ones for you and your home. If you require further assistance, feel free to share a photo of how you have your motion zones. We would love to help!

This solution is completely unacceptable. Everything was working perfectly before your supposed “improvements”. I can not shrink my motion detection zones anymore because any smaller and I might as well just disable motion detection altogether. How can you possibly consider this an improvement when everything use to work fine before and now the doorbell cannot tell the difference between a 6 lb. cat and a 150 lb. person? (Yes, my slider is on “people only”) Is this an official response from Ring? If it is I will be demanding a refund for my device that you essentially disabled, and I will be taking my business to Nest or any of your other competitors.

4 Likes

I agree that this is unacceptable. Ring, you have a whole group of people with the same problem with a multitude of testimonies that, post upgrade, the Pro doorbell is unusable. Please escalate this issue to someone who has an interest in preserving the reputation of your company. The replacement unit you sent has not arrived yet, but hearing this response doesn’t give me much hope that the new one will work any better. I’ll let you know.

6 Likes

The enhancements made to our motion detection should not result in ‘missed motion’. I encourage you to share your motion zones here for in depth help. If not, adjust your zones per the suggestions made and set your notifications to People Only. The update was made to enhance and better the motion detection, to ensure you only receive motion alerts that are valid. I personally apologize if you feel changing your motion zones is unexceptable, but I also am confident by adjusting your zones you will notice an improvement with the alerts you receive. Again, feel free to share your motion zones here to learn the best zones for you and your home. Thank you.

The zone on mine has been adjusted several times, including by tech support.

It didn’t fix the problem.

3 Likes

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

The enhancements made to our motion detection should not result in ‘missed motion’. I encourage you to share your motion zones here for in depth help. If not, adjust your zones per the suggestions made and set your notifications to People Only. The update was made to enhance and better the motion detection, to ensure you only receive motion alerts that are valid. I personally apologize if you feel changing your motion zones is unexceptable, but I also am confident by adjusting your zones you will notice an improvement with the alerts you receive. Again, feel free to share your motion zones here to learn the best zones for you and your home. Thank you.

Jennifer,

I think you may have this entire issue confused. There is not a single person in this forum post who is complaining about ‘missed motion’. In fact, it is quite the opposite, everyone here is being flooded by inconsequential motion alerts. Most of us here have already reduced our motion zones to pretty much the bare minimum and to suggest us to reduce it even further is not a solution at all. Quite frankly Jennifer, you not even taking the time to understand the posts on here and then suggesting a solution for a problem that is the exact opposite of the one being experienced is nothing short of a slap in the face.

7 Likes

Hear, hear!

1 Like

Well said. I’ve adjusted my motion zone so many times (it’s already set to people only). The only way I can use this camara is by completely turning off alerts, which defeats the purpose of having this in the first place.

3 Likes

Here’s my zone. How could this be adjusted to fix the problem Ring created?

2 Likes

Your changes were not enhancements. I didn’t have missed motion before. It worked exactly as I wanted it to. I agree with others that it is unusable now. I am set to people only. Headlights casting a moving shadow on my neighbors house when a car drives by at 5:30am should NOT set off a notification. PLEASE get rid of the upgrade "enhancements ". If things stay as they are, I will be canceling my subscription to Ring, I will be warning everyone I know to stay away from the Ring video doorbell, and I will post negative reviews online wherever I can. I loved this product and told everyone how great it was. Now I hate it!

4 Likes

I agree, this is ridiculous, and unacceptable. It obviously isn’t an issue a few people are suddenly having. It all happened at the same time. Coincidence?? I don’t think so. I used to love my Ring doorbell, but now I have had to turn off the alerts, so it’s useless. I was even looking at the other Ring products to add to my system, but no more. It seems there is little interest on their part to fix this issue, as the same automatic reply is given out, suggesting things that we have all already done. Therefore, I will more than likely be cancelling my subscription as well, and looking into one of their competitors. Ring really messed up this time.

2 Likes

Ridiculous that you should have a zone the size of a milk chute. I’m about to just shut this off forever. I reported problem. Nothing offered as solution thus far.

1 Like

These did not result in missed motion; they resulted in too much motion. Look, we all had these things set up perfectly and now you folks come along and mess with it. Now, I get alerted that moths are flying on neighbor’s’ porch. WTF put it back the way it was!!! Adjusting the zone doesn’t work and furthermore, we shouldn’t have to. Ever heard the phrase, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,”? This applies here. Time to reset back to where it was.

1 Like

I see Ring has no reply. Meanwhile I get notifications every time a car drives by 40 feet away on people only.
Interestingly enough, I have mine turned all the way down to people only and it didn’t detect me driving down my driveway, but it still goes off when someone walks by 20 more feet away, outside the motion zone. What’s that all about?
It worked fine before. Put it back the way it was.

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed any difference/improvements on sensitivity or updates in the code? I increased my zone back to closer to what I had it to prior to this debacle, and I’ve noticed a more “normal” sensitivity, closer to what it was before the Octomber 15 firmware change. I was out shopping for a Nest device, but I’m wondering if they finally listened and made some changes.

The version I have right now is 1.16.00267. I thought I had noted the previous version, but I am not able to find it.

Anyone else?

I would also like to hear from the Ring Team when Updates are going to be preformed. Or have the ability to do them manually instead of having them Auto install. Can we also please get a history/dates of the updates made over the last several months and what changes were made?

1 Like

Mine is much better. I also changed my zone so the road isn’t in the motion zone. Now it’s great

Mine is still much more sensitive. Notability, it is picking up motion outside the motion zones.

2 Likes