Ring Pro suddenly far more sensitive

Marley_Ring - Any Idea why this changed out of the blue and what can be done to resolve it?

1 Like

Thank you for confirming this information. In addition to checking for any updates available, I recommend also optimizing and reconfiguring all motion settings, including redrawing zones to take full advantage of your motion detection abilities. Let us know how it goes! :slightly_smiling_face:

I tried this.

It did not work.

According to the settings, mine has the latest update.

3 Likes

I also verfied the latest update was installed (When did this come out?) and also tried changing and adding a new zone, deleting old one.

This made no difference. The issue continues.

2 Likes

Hi neighbors! Motion truly depends on your specific environment and the field of view your device has. It takes time to find the best ones for you and your home. It took me at least 4 different settings and a wedge kit to find the perfect one for my home – trial and error :slight_smile: We’re here to help along the way, but if you require more one on one assistance please give our support team a call. Feel free to share your motion zones here as well :slight_smile:

Just FYI - I have had this doorbell for a year, and this is the first time it is behaving in this way.

5 Likes

I had the ring set perfectly–it only alerted us when someone came up our walkway or was in the driveway. It worked just like that for a year. Then, a few days ago with no changes on my part, it is radically more sensitive. It now picks up anyone about thirty yards further than before.

I appreciate that you want me to find the perfect settings; however, I had those. What changed?

I am getting about fifty notifications per day when I used to get none, one, or two.

8 Likes

I am in the exact same situation as the other two Ring users on this thread. Although I haven’t had mine a year yet, it was working amazing, and only sent alerts when someone walked on the sidewalk directly in front of the house, or up on my porch or in my driveway.

Now, it catches any type of movement from in the park across the street from my house. I CHANGED NOTHING between the time it worked perfectly, to the time it started going off every few minutes, or in some cases, every minute. This is especially true in the morning as people are getting up and taking walks in the park.

Please be sure to read the ENTIRE thread before suggesting things that have already been tried and also to better understand the situation. It seems we are getting “helpful hints” from someone just reading the title of the post, and not actually taking the time to read that all of us have posted about the situation.

Thank you.

7 Likes

Also, can you please answer the question if there was a recent software or firmware update. Nothing changes on my side, so it would see that since I have auto updates set, that it could have easily been a software or firmware update that was automatically installed by Ring.

I work for a company that does software and firmware updates, we all know that sometimes Updates that fix defects/bugs could introduce other issues.

Thank you

6 Likes

Thank you for this information, neighbors! Looks like there may have been some adjustments with our motion detection. Please let me know if it is okay to reach out to you on the email address associated with your Community account as the team would like to see some recent examples.

4 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

I can also confirm that my Ring Pro sensitivitiy seems to be hyper sensitive now. Adjusting the slider and redrawing the motion boxes have no effect. Have had this Ring Pro for over 2 years now without issue, now movement that would have been ignored earlier is now prompting an alert. Things like cats walking across the sidewalk or in some cases random trash blowing around have triggered motion alerts. I have gone from maybe 5 or 6 alerts a day for the past 2 years to close to 40 alerts a day this past week with the sensitivity set to people only and the detection box reduced to about 1/5 of what it used to be. Please help.

5 Likes

I have been having the same issue for the past 3 days… Called Ring Support twice - changed the sensitivity twice, changed the field of motion many times - all have no effect on the the number of alerts being received… The camera is now useless, as there are too many alerts to pay attention to. Why can’t RING take responsiblity for a change THEY made and stop trying to get us to adjust our specifications that have worked (in my case) for 3 years?

6 Likes

I am having the same issue! Tried redrawing the motion zones and adjusting sensitivity but still get notifications every time a car drives by. This just started on October 17. Never an issue prior to that day. What was changed? This is totally annoying and seriously reduces the value of the Ring doorbell!

4 Likes

I am about to rip my Ring doorbell off the door frame and throw it away. We have had ours for two years with no problem, and as of a few days ago, it goes off about every 10 seconds. I’ve tried making all of the suggested adjustments and it still goes off just when the wind blows. I really hope this problem gets fixed soon!! It’s literally gone off 8 times in the time I’ve typed this.

5 Likes

Update:

I called support. He was very nice, but said they had no idea this is happening to anyone. I told him to come here and read this thread.

He rebooted my doorbell from his side.

Now, I have the opposite issue - my doorbell barely chimes, even when someone is standing there. I had company yesterday, and the alert only went off once, even with people coming and going multiple times.

I also went in and out several times, with only one alert.

So, if they tell you to reboot, use caution.

I’m going to have to call in again tomorrow and ask for an upper level tech.

3 Likes

Same issue here. The motion sensitivity has suddenly gotten annoyingly frequent. It used to detect only on the sidewalk coming up to my front door. Starting today it now triggers when anyone walks by in the street which is 30 feet or more from my front door. I have it on people only but it is going off so much it is about to be rendered useless. I bought a new Ring Doorbell Pro today to replace my current one due to power issues I have been having. My current Pro randomly shuts down and I have to take it off the wall, disconnect the wires and hook them back up to get it to reboot. (And yes I have a 16 vac 30VA transformer in the attic). I was going to install the new Doorbell Pro, but if this is the new norm for motion alerts I may return it and go another direction.

2 Likes

It’s still happening to me even though I have it set to lowest sensitivity.

1 Like

Jennifer, I would welcome getting some Technical Help on this issue. I can tell that Ring has done some oftware upgrades, because I got a notification that “with the new software,” so something has definately changed.

Please feel free to open a case on my behalf as I really am tired of getting so many alerts. It was working fine, then suddenly become hyper senstive, and even when I elminate the area where the alerts come from, it still goes off.

I thought I was going crazy, I have been trigger on every person walking their dog since the made this change… It is VERY annoying… It as if I almost have to disable the alerts which almost makes the camera useless unless someone rings the door bell. Please put back the old firmware. Or put a “hypersensitive” button that can be disabled.

2 Likes