Ring Pro directly to transformer, frying transformers.

Hello Everyone!

I just purchased the Ring Pro/Echo 5 combo deal off Amazon.

I did a ton of research and saw that I needed at least 16 volts AC and at least 30 volt-amps from my transformer. I realized my old transformer was not sufficient so I purchased this unit. It matches the specs required.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1GRHLH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I followed these instructions which is straight forward. It doesn’t mention using the extra resistor box that came with the kit at all when you are bypassing the inline chime.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000081206-Installing-your-Hardwired-Transformer-Kit

Everything seemed to work fine for a couple of hours but then everything went dead and I didn’t get any more power out of the transformer.

At this point, I thought maybe my transformer was bad from the beginning. So I purchased another transformer.

Same exact thing happened it works for a couple hours and then fries the transformer.

Last reported voltage says good.

Last reported signal strength says RSSI-34

So now I am like $40 in on new transformers I am thinking the doorbell itself is some how back feeding power into the transformer. There isn’t anything else I can think of why it is burning out the transformers? Is there some setting on the ring pro that is back feeding into that transformer? Is there something additional I should have wired up that is not shown in those directions?

I think there is something wrong with the ring doorbell itself.

Thanks!

See attached, this is another example of exactly how I have it connected.

Hardwired_transformer_MANUAL_Web.pdf (478 KB)

Hey @klennop! It looks like you are following all the right steps for power. A 16V 30Va rated transformer is perfect for supplying sufficient power. When using this power supply, and bypassing the existing chime kit, you will want to follow the steps in this help center article.

Also, if no chime is going to be in use, remember to select “no chime” in the app under chime type. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Marley,

Thanks for the reply.

The confusing this is I found 2 other “help” articles showing I do not need to use the “pro power kit.” So which one is supposed to be correct. See the link I provided earlier, as well as the attachment I provided earlier, none of those show using the “pro power kit”.

When looking at the link you provided, I am confused on exactly what the instructions mean at this point. They make no sense.

• Detach the doorbell wires from the internal doorbell and straighten the ends.
  • Firmly insert the doorbell wires into the Bypass Mode holes on the Pro Power Kit V2 until they lock into place.

If I use the 2 wires comeing from my doorbell and insert them into the pro power kit, then there will be no power coming from the transformer to the doorbell.

I am assuming they mean to say put the pro power kit in line with one of the leads between the doorbell and the transformer?? So one wire coming out of the transformer gets put into the pro power kit and then take one wire from the doorbell and put it into the pro power kit??

Also you mentioned selecting “no chime” if you do that then no chime will come out of the Echo 5. So it needs to be set at digital chime for the echo 5 to ring. This is one of the main reasons they pair the Echo 5 with the Ring doorbell. I was wondering if when ringing the bell, the signal was backfeeding into the transformer and shorting it out??

Check out the image I just made, that may explain this a bit easier?

Wiring.pdf (250 KB)

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head @klennop! Thank you for the diagrams and for the feedback on our help center article. I’ll certainly share this with the team!

To answer based on your diagrams, option #1 is the correct method. By including the Pro Power Kit between one of the wire runs going to from transformer to the Doorbell Pro, it will best regulate power.

As far as the Echo 5 integration goes, this will be accomplished through the pairing in the Alexa app with the appropriate skills. The “Chime Type” option in the Ring app is referring to what is included in the wiring configuration. If no chime exists, this will be the best option. This option should have no effect on the Echo 5 operation.

1 Like

Hey Marley,

Thanks again for the reply.

I am getting a new transformer, it should be here in a day or 2 so I am dead in the water right now.

I will wire it up as in option 1 per my diagram.

As for the Echo 5 integration, I thought the same thing as you. Everything should be showing up and adjusted in the skill/settings. However, even with the doorbell press set up turned on and a doorbell sound chosen. I wasn’t getting the actual sound out of the echo 5. It would show up on the screen saying someone was at the door but without alert. The only time the chime would work on the echo 5 was when I turned on the chime type to digital on the ring’s setting. Which I also assume that is what in turn fried the transformer.

Do you know if that power kit pro will protect the transformer IF I turn the chime on in the ring’s settings even though there is no chime in line? I honestly don’t want to spend another $20 on a transformer when I am already $60 in on transformers. Plus the only reason we got the echo 5 was so the chime would come through it.

Thanks again for the help, I am sure this post will help some folks in the future.

1 Like

Hi - I have a Ring Pro and have now fried 2 transformers - both were wired by our local electrician and both lasted around 3 months. Any thoughts?

I’m having the same issue as you. Did the new wiring resolve the problem? My door bell worked for a couple hours then went dead. When I checked the transformer was extremely hot so I’m guessing it’s fried

Hi there, neighbors! When wiring your Video Doorbell Pro, the most important variables to consider are transformer rating, chime type, and wiring gauge. Of course, the transformer should meet the requirements for 16v to 24v AC (10va to 40va), in which a 16v 30va AC transformer is widely recommended. Please also ensure the wiring used is not too thin, frayed, old, or spliced. Reference our wiring gauge help center article for tips on this. Last but not least, please check your chime type in the Ring app to ensure it is set to none (if directly wired to transformer/ no chime kit). This can be done by visiting your Doorbell Pro in the Ring app > tapping it’s Device Settings tile > selecting General Settings > then changing the chime type.

If this concern persists, or you’ve checked all of the above and all variables look great despite this concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

As @StewMac mentioned above, seeking help from a local electrician is always a great way to obtain optimal power and wiring. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I have a Ring Doorbell Pro and Chime and strangely when it gets dark, not all the time, it reads low voltage and then eventually goes offline. As soon as it’s light outside it’s back online and works like a charm. Any suggestions? This is a wired doorbell with the little square thing connected to my internal doorbell.

@ntom908 Your doorbell is right on the threshold with regards to power. At night the Ring Doorbell will turn on its IR LEDs for night vision and this slight increase in draw is causing it to not have enough power. You will probably need to check your wiring and possibly upgrade to a more powerful transformer.

That’s what I was afraid of. Do you think the transformer is behind the doorbell chime on my wall? As an alternative, is there a wired doorbell that will work on a lower power transformer?

I got the same issue with ring pro, after 3 power adaptors over the years, I got a Ring transformer replaced a few days ago. Seems like the button is the problem, as every time someone presses the doorbell the unit looses power or crash itself for a short period of time, unfortunately the my ring pro is out of warranty.

TTT, Another thread with the same unanswered problem, Pro doorbells repeatedly frying transformers.