Ring Pro cracked button

Make sure your 3D printed material is able to withstand solar radiation. I think one of the reasons the button cracked is because the material Ring used is not able to withstand the solar radiation from the sun and the material degrades with exposure to the sun. That and the temperature cycling that the door bell is exposed to (causing expansion and contraction) will cause the molded button to crack along the weld line of the molded button (Most molded parts have weldlines. If you look at a tv remote you can see these near the button openings).

In other words Ring’s design of the button is crap. They did not do any temperature cycling with solar radiation for this design other wise they would have found the problem.

1 Like

I agree with you that this is a design flaw. The material they used is not able to withstand UV radiation. Mine cracked after 1 yr and 5 months. UV degrades the plastic if it doesn’t have UV stabilizers in it. With temperature cycling, if you have hot summers and cold winters, the button expands and contracts and eventually, with degraded plastic, the button experiences fatigue and cracks along the weldline. Most molded plastics have weldlines. If you look at tv remotes closely you will see weldlines at the button openings. Weldlines are a result of how the plastic flows when it is injected into the molding tool.

If the designers at Ring did a temperature cycling test with solar radiation they would have seen this flaw in their design. This is a design flaw and a result of poor design practices and poor design processes.

1 Like

go on social media and publicize this. My button just cracked after 1.5 years. I also had a previous one that just stopped working also after about 1.5 years.

I get the feeling that Ring doesn’t design their products very well. It seems like a lot of people have cracked buttons. Bad design and bad design practices lead to bad product.

1 Like

I agree with you. It seems that there are a lot of people with this issue.

The crack is along the weldline of the part. The weldline is formed during the injection molding process for the part. The material that they chose is also not UV resistant. So with exposure to the sun, this material will drastically degrade. With temperature cycling, hot summers and cold winters, and people using the door bell, the button fatigues. Once fatigued, a crack will start in the button. Some more solar radiation and temperature cycling will propogate this crack.

WIth a proper design and testing and good molding this problem could have been avoided by Ring. Ring should have determined that they had this problem by doing a temperature cycling test with solar radiation exposure. Poor design and design processes.

1 Like

Ultem is a good material to use with FDM. It is UV resistant without the need for stabilizers.

It has good dimensional and strength properties. Only issue is most 3D printers will not be able to handle this material.

2 Likes

Okay, add me to the list. We bought ours in June 2018, and now we have “the crack” 18 months later.
I called Ring and the customer service guy communicated the prepared script which included " I’m very sorry. You’re out of warranty. I can offer you a 35% discount. I wish I could do more…". My old doorbell lasted 25 years. My samsung 8 cellphone, which gets 10 hours of daily use, is dropped 3 times a week is on year 4 and every feature still works . My ring doorbell, which I can now see, has been pressed just 47 times in 18 months. …is broken. Seriously, stand up and do the right thing. Either its obviously a known defect…or planned obsolescence? Which is it? It cant be wear and tear.

1 Like

@CodeMonkey, Printing worked like a charm, all credit to you !

#respect and thanks

@RING Thanks for the 30% discount voucher, however it stays a big FAIL and a SHAME for you crapy hardware build devices…

#shame and blame

I’m so glad to hear that and see another replacement solved. Now to see if it stands the test of time and the elements. I’m sure it will. And if nothing else, it’s an inexpensive replacement option. Thanks again and thanks for posting the results!

1 Like

Same for me - replacement on the way at no cost. Thanks !

1 Like

Mine was broken after the first 8 months, got a replacement and now after a year and 3 months it’s starting to crack yet again. :cry:

What good is feedback if it’s not addressed

2 Likes

Cracked button on a Ring Pro that is just over two years old. Support offered a 35% coupon only good on their site. Lousy security (tons of bad publicity - bad guys talking to little girls), and now lousy hardware rears its head. You’d think they might want to be a bit more customer centric at this point.

I’m having an ABS button 3D printed for me - costs $12.50. Nothing to lose. If the unit breaks during install, I’ll go with a company that cares a bit more.

1 Like

Mine has been cracked for ages… no change in performance or function. Ring could look at a simple stick on shaped “cap” or cover to solve this issue for out of warranty units.

1 Like

Hi

I would like to get a button made. How do I go about the process? I am totally new to 3D printing.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Same thing happened to me!

Look at where this crack comes from! It starts from and goes through the mounting hole. Mine is also exposed to sun on an east facing door. This is my second Pro. Won’t be buying another Ring product ever again. This part costs pennies to make.

I have the same issue with the cracked button on my Pro. I dont think its the sun as mine is under a patio and does not get sun UV light.

Has anyone had a luck in getting this replaced by Ring?

I beleive Ring is only offering replacement if you unit is still under warranty. There are people offering low cost 3D Printed replacement buttons.

HI - is there any replacement for this issue?

The most lame company ive seen in a while… sell you a device that last exactly 2 years with a warranty 2 years… then all devices break and there is NO way to fix it or a spare parts. What a lame excuse. Horrible customer service and absolutely hoax doorbells with absolutely low resolution and cracked buttons due to heat sync. You think they dont know it but they do they just dont care they want you to buy new one what a mofos. Goodbye ring you just lost one more client

1 Like